Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged, 15days post op. So hard getting things down..... do things get better ?

Im 15 days post op, i started at 196lbs, and lost 10lbs up till now. The scale hasn't moved for 5 days though. I understand i will stall, but just feel a little defeated.

Eating is a new ball game, im on the soft stage and the pressure and tightness after eating a few bites is really tough. Some things are going down well, yogurts, banana and liquids but i vomited up eggs today. After a week on softs im adjusting but please tell me there is hope.

6months or a year later, has that sensation of tightness and pressure gone after eating? can you eat normally ? a regular meal albeit a small portion but can you comfortably eat a small meal and feel ok? Can you go to a restaurant and enjoy a small meal ?

I just feel a little overwhelmed at times, did i do the right thing?

I have a lower BMI but have been overweight all of my adult life and my family history in health is really bad i wanted this to help me lose weight with consistency. I can't tell you how many times i would diet to only fall off the wagon again and again. I want to be proactive and make a positive change for the better.

I would appreciate any advice and guidance :) This site has been so informative for me

Edited by tryingtobemybest

@@tryingtobemybest

This is how it went for me.

eggs were terrible. eggs were my first soft food and they hurt like hell. They are the one thing that makes me sick or feel too full. Unless they are poached or fried. Scrambled is a disaster. so I avoid eggs for the most part.

At 3 months I could eat a lot easier. I actually at got better 6 weeks too, but at 3 months it gets a lot easier.

At 6 months I was healed and it was almost like a switch flipped.

I got to restaurants and get what I want, but what I want has changed. What I can eat and the amounts depends on the moisture content and density of the food. I split appetizers but I might only have 1/4 to 1/3 of an appetizer that is Protein. I will order a regular entree possibly and eat the Protein, guessing at the weight. I either give the rest of my food to the person I am with or I leave it. I can eat enough that it is enjoyable. I also don't eat at family, or casual restaurants. The portions and the amount of time between courses at a nicer restaurant are more friendly to eating small portions.

Yes it gets better.

Use the time when food is uncomfortable and hunger doesn't exist to develop good habits and learn to resist head hunger, because once that fear and feeling of extreme tightness from swelling goes away you can eat a lot more, and graze away your progress. So enjoy this time and maximize the benefits.

Im at a stall i weighed 267 and after surgery on may 25th i weighed 222..im at a stall ,but im going to be honest im not eating all that is required.. like tons of Protein. Like everyone else

I don't really feel hungry, so when i cook for my boys ill take a 2 bites of what i cook for them..

If i had to tell you what i do eat it will eggs, cottage cheese, hummus ,pickles, veggie chips ,almond milk,tuna with mayo n corn , i drink infused Water cucumber and mint..that really is what i eat ..i exercise 3xs a week like run up bleachers and walk and i do squats.., and still at a stand still .i have been self conscience about not over eating that when i eat and chew and chew and chew i also drink water..bad habit. So as of tomorrow im doing all Protein for the next week to see if it breaks that plateu or stall good luck

Sent from my SM-G925P using the BariatricPal App

@@OutsideMatchInside

Wow this sounds really good. Thanks so much for replying !

Gosh eggs is a pain in the butt ! This was my second time and im done with those for a while.

Im so glad there is improvement and hope, i know mentally im hoping for too much too soon. But i want to be able to enjoy food again too, right now feels so restricted. My doctor stressed to me that the stomach and esophagus will take time to coordinate.

I understand the density and consistency that you're talking about, im already feeling out better food options that go down easily.

Do you still drink your fluids after your meal? or are you able to combine?

@@yguess

Thanks so much

I hear you i need to work on my Protein, im on the soft stage for 3 weeks, so i need to think of good ways to get it in other than shakes. I will look into the options and increase it. Thanks for the Atkins document :)

Im just hoping that tightness improves with time.

@@tryingtobemybest

The first 6 months I followed doctors instructions and no eating and drinking.

I try to stop drinking at least 20 minutes before eating, and not start for another 30-45 minutes. Depending on what I am eating I might have a few sips with what I am eating, especially if it is a dry Protein. It is something I am still learning. You have to really know yourself and your body because you can easily put yourself in the position of being overly full which is painful.

@@OutsideMatchInside

Thank you that helps. Everyday is improving however im trying to mentally come to terms with this step i have taken. I didn't realize i would question myself and feel some regret. Im praying with time and improved health this will reaffirm my decision. But i gotta be honest i have moments in the day i feel mad at myself for taking such an aggressive route.

Maybe once i lose some extra weight i will feel differently. I hope so.

The further out you get, the less drastic it seems. You are swollen and healing so it seems drastic. At almost a year, I feel totally like a normal person, I just eat less.

Hello everyone, this thread has been very helpful to me. I am 2 weeks post op and I am struggling just like everyone else. I just started on soft foods today. I have tried tuna with a little mayo and hummus. The hummus went down easy but the tuna created a tightness in my chest. There are times that I regret my decision to get sleeved but it's too late now so i just hope it gets better like everyone says.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Shemekasr

@@Shemekasr

tuna can be tough and dry. You want to eat something really moist at first and take a bite, wait, a couple minutes, take another bite. You are still very swollen from surgery.

@@OutsideMatchInside thank you and I agree. I think I will try cottage cheese and hopefully that will be better. I will wait till week 3 to before I try tuna again. What do you think about refried Beans?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App