Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression after Wls? Will sris help?

I'm a little over two months post op and for the past three weeks or so, I have been severely depressed.

My SO and my adult daughter have both commented on it and all I want to do is lay in bed and cry.

I have a therapist that I have been seeing for almost a year. While she is helpful, she doesn't quite get my struggle now. I don't think this is just typical depression. I wonder if it's some sort of chemical reaction from weight loss.

The first month, I was energetic and happy. Now, I feel uncomfortable, don't want to do anything and hate the way I look when I see myself in the mirror. I'm irritable and gloomy.

Is this normal? Has anyone else gone through this? Is this just about the lack of cake? Will taking an SRI help?

I'm a little over two months post op and for the past three weeks or so, I have been severely depressed.

My SO and my adult daughter have both commented on it and all I want to do is lay in bed and cry.

I have a therapist that I have been seeing for almost a year. While she is helpful, she doesn't quite get my struggle now. I don't think this is just typical depression. I wonder if it's some sort of chemical reaction from weight loss.

The first month, I was energetic and happy. Now, I feel uncomfortable, don't want to do anything and hate the way I look when I see myself in the mirror. I'm irritable and gloomy.

Is this normal? Has anyone else gone through this? Is this just about the lack of cake? Will taking an SRI help?

Are there any bariatric support groups in your area? Someone involved in one of those groups may be able to recommend a therapist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I chuckled at "lack of cake"!

Talk to your doctor about an antidepressant. It doesn't have to be forever, you may only need it in the short-term.

It could be a hormone dump from losing weight, but this usually occurs earlier.

What comes to mind is... your nutrients.. are you taking Vitamins?

I know that when i am specifically low on B12 or thiamine or b6 i get really down for no reason.

If you are taking a multi, perhaps have a look at the values...

Daily recommended values from our surgeon's office are:

Iron - 18mg

B1 - 1.1mg

B12 - 2.4mg

B6 - 2mg

Calcium -1000mg

Folate - 400mg

Magnesium - 400mg

The fact that you were okay earlier and not depressed makes me think its a nutritional or hormonal thing.

Hold off on the anti depressants until you check your nutrients.

Does your doctor do blood work for follow up appointments?

Edited by AussieGirl81

I also went through a really bad depression as well as anxiety attacks. If you read some of my other posts I also felt the same way you did. I was crying constantly and had no joy. I went back to work after 6 weeks and I was probably at the worst in my feelings. I started therapy and am feeling so much better. For me I felt when I was cleared for regular foods and was eating a little more I also started to feel better. I have three children ages 14, 11, and 8 this was so hard for me to know they saw me go through this. I was so sad all day somedays I did not even get out of bed it was too hard. With time and support I was able to find a way to cope and get back into life. It will get better. I remember people saying that to me and I could hear them but I truly believed I would never feel better but now almost 6 months out I do feel better. Some days are still hard but things do get easier and life will be better. We are all here to support you on your journey. All the kind words I received from so many when I was struggling really helped me pull through and I hope can help you as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I take SSRI and had to increase the dosage after surgery (additionally I got laid off from my job which did not help). I hope to go off of it someday but right now too many changes going on to take the risk. Maybe next year!

It is pretty common I think due to hormone dump but as others said, I would recommend getting your Vitamin levels checked and then talk to a dr about anti-depressant. It doesn't have to be forever but could help you get through a short period of adjustment.

I think it is very normal. We store a lot of hormones in our fat and when we rapidly lose weight our hormones can be a little whacky for a while.

I have battled depression for years and am taking Wellbutrin, but I was already on it before surgery.

If you are concerned or think you need extra help, definitely talk to your therapist and/or your PCP about your options. You don't have to go through this without using all your resources.

I have battled depression for more than 20 years. I was already on 2 anti-depressants before I had surgery. I had read about the mood swings, etc after surgery and was waiting for them. They never came. I believe my anti-depressants made the difference. They evened me out and kept me from sinking into a major depression episode. I have dysthmia so I will be on meds for the rest of my life, but anything I can do to prevent another major depression dip, is okay by me.

My thoughts are with you,

pam