Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea after protein shakes. Lactose intolerance?

I'm almost two weeks post op and have been doing well. Over the past three days I've noticed that whenever I drink a Protein Shake I'm feeling nauseous and extremely tired afterward. These don't seem like traditional lactose intolerance symptoms but I'm wondering if that could be the problem. I do have some almond milk and vegetarian Protein Powder I can switch to but I won't get as much "bang for my buck" in terms of Protein. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm meeting or exceeding protein and Water goals so I'm not dehydrated. The nausea does go away with Zofran. I don't have this problem with yogurt.

Yeah, except when I look at the sugar/lactose in milk when added with the Unjury it comes out to 16g and my NUT has said to stay under 14g. I suppose it's possibly a sugar issue. I might try almond milk just to switch things up despite the hit to total Protein.

Why don't you try adding almond milk instead of the 1%? I did that pre- and post-op due to a milk intolerance. Now, at 6mos out I can drink regular milk again....have no clue why. It's funny how our bodies change with the surgery. I couldn't stand anything sweet after surgery either and had to hold my nose when drinking Protein shakes.

Good luck!

Yeah, except when I look at the sugar/lactose in milk when added with the Unjury it comes out to 16g and my NUT has said to stay under 14g. I suppose it's possibly a sugar issue. I might try almond milk just to switch things up despite the hit to total Protein.< /p>

Why are you making the unjury with milk? Have you tried just making it with Water?

I've been making it with milk to bump up the Protein and improve the texture. (I find that thicker textures like yogurt and pudding go down easier for me.) That was per my NUTs original advice. I'm going to call her tomorrow to follow up.

You can also try using something like FairLife milk or Carbmaster milk. Those are both lower carb, lower calorie, and higher Protein than regular milk, plus they are lactose-free.

Fair life milk has less sugar and more Protein. In all honesty all shakes made me at least a little sick. I was able to tolerate Isopure but I can't say I liked it.

I drank premier Protein shakes prior to surgery with no problem. Now post surgery they do not go well with my stomach. For me it gives me diarrhea, nausea and stomach cramps. I tried it several different times with all the same results. My doctor said sometimes people become lactose intolerant after surgery. I'm now trying another one that claims it's lactose free but it says it contains mill so now sure how I'm going to react to this one.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App