Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you tell people at work

Alien abduction. I'm taking 2 weeks off after being banded. When I return, I think I'll say, "alien abduction." The day job can always use a little humor injected into its hard a**.

Darr ;)

OHHH PULEEEEZ!!! If you work in TV you work in the entertainment business and that is the most surgery friendly, intervention friendly, plastic surgery friendly doctor-please-fix-my-looks friendly profession in the WORLD! If one person gives you a sideways glance about it they are the biggest hypocrite on the earth's surface. Remember the story of Star Jones and the mess she started by keeping her mouth shut. Had she just said what she was doing and been done with it people would have gone on about their business and not thought a thing of it...now look at her in the tabloids trying to tap dance around why she lied about it...(not that it's not your perogative). I certainly would NOT worry about what ANYONE at work says.

Well, first off, I should clarify, I work behind the camera, way behind the camera. So I'm not to worried about a tabloid fiasco. But you would be surprised at how judgemental people can be based on what kind of surgery you are getting. If i announced I was getting a nose job and botox, they would probably applaud me and have a parade on the way out. But WLS is a whole different catagory. Also, my tough part to deal with, is that I have already used up all of my vacation time this year, so I don't know how easy it would be to get time off for an "elective" surgery.

Wow, I had no idea this thread would get so much response! I am really greatful for everyone's insight. This is a weird little issue that most of us have to deal with and I am just really greatful to hear how everyone else is dealing with this personal choice in their public lives.

I'm worried that if I tell my co-workers they will become the lap-band police and watch everything I eat and comment on my progress. I just don't want the judgement.;)

There is one huge thing to remember in all of this and that is

YOU CAN TELL IT...BUT YOU CAN'T UN TELL IT. I have told no one but my hubby and best friend (who had her surgery one week after mine and if not telling anyone) I have not even told my children. This is my business..it's private business..and no one elses business. The weight loss is slow so you can be on a good diet that is working for you. One in which you eat what you want but in very small portions with some Protein Drinks for Snacks. People are going to watch you no matter what you tell them. Some times it feels like those people are watching just to see if you will fail. It's too bad really. You do what is right for you but remember what I said in the first sentence..you can't take it back.

My best to you on this journey.

n.

I have been very open about the surgery with the people I work with. I am a teacher, they are the best gossipers in town! Therefore, whenever someone lies and lies about something when it comes out, they look to be the silly. So, I figured I am excited about it, people that love me will be too, the others I don't worry about! The people that are critical know deep down (if they are overweight) that they would do it in a minute, if they could come across the money!! Negativity usually stems from some kind of jealousy. Besides, WE are on OUR way to a healthier US!

I think this is an important topic that affects everyone. Glad to see an open dialogue.

I think it depends on the individual, where you work, the environment, the mix of personalities, your own needs, strengths, weaknesses, your motive to sharing, your level of drama tolerance, etc etc.

Personally, my close friends all know and are supportive. I've chosen not to share the lap band part of my surgery with coworkers. I am also having gall bladder surgery and that is enough information to divulge.

I work with 98% women, a handful are genuine/caring, the rest are not.

My husband put it best,

"these are people you happen to work with right now. You most likely won't work with them long term. They don't need or have to be your confidants. They aren't your best friends. They are coworkers, that's all."

Sometimes, I think men can see the big picture in a detached, healthy way.

CDspillit.jpg

I have to take off about 3 hours from work for my pre-surgical check in and work-up. I had gotten in late from meeting with the surgeon and my boss knew I had a "doctor's appointment" so I just told him that I had to have further testing done (the pre-surgical appointment, I'm sure there will be tests) and that the doctor thinks I may need surgery. He didn't ask a single question, he said, that's totally fine, don't worry about work. And that was it. I think he's so scarred that it's "Female issues" he would rather die than know anything more. Also our firm just merged with another and apparently one of the new partners has recently lost a significant amount of weight and he eats so supper healthy and strict, not even cake on his birthday, that everyone is talking about eating healthier. So I'm just going to start talking about eating healthier too. And i'm buying the Nike ipod Nano and I'm going to sign up for a 5K. Since everyone in my office loves ipods that will be fun to talk about and then everyone will think that it's just the exercise. So there is no lying (well flat out lying) and I was surprised at how easy it was to get time off, even though I have taken up all my vacation time this year. Here's to no more beach pictures with a beached whale hiding under the worlds biggest beach towel and a t-shirt!:clap2:

When I told my boss that I needed surgery, I asked that he keep it quiet because it was personal and I did not want to share it with my co workers, he said "legally I do not think I could tell anyone anyway" I will tell the other managers that you are taking some personal time. It is easier for me since I travel and I am not in the office everyday.

He has noticed my weight loss and I am sure that he is wondering if I had WLS but let him wonder. I just told him that my doctor wanted me to lose weight for health reasons.....which is true!

I did not want people to know about the lap band surgery so I just said I was a crack addict going into rehab. The whole thing got blown out of proportion a little bit and by the time all was said and done, the local newspaper did a second page story on me describing me as the "only known fat crack addict." It makes sense that there would not be many others, when you think of it. So anyway, the story got onto YouTube, and people started sending me contributions to pay for my rehab. The total I received ended up being about $12,339.00, which covered the cost of the lap band surgery almost to the penny.

Actually, the real story is, I told only my boss, and I'm pretty glad I kept it a secret. I'm just a private sort of person in general and I did not want to have people looking over my shoulder during this process.

I did not want people to know about the lap band surgery so I just said I was a crack addict going into rehab. The whole thing got blown out of proportion a little bit and by the time all was said and done, the local newspaper did a second page story on me describing me as the "only known fat crack addict." It makes sense that there would not be many others, when you think of it. So anyway, the story got onto YouTube, and people started sending me contributions to pay for my rehab. The total I received ended up being about $12,339.00, which covered the cost of the lap band surgery almost to the penny.

Actually, the real story is, I told only my boss, and I'm pretty glad I kept it a secret. I'm just a private sort of person in general and I did not want to have people looking over my shoulder during this process.

That was you!! I want my money back!

So I never had to tell my boss what was going on, he has been great about giving me time off for as long as I need. There are a few nosy girls in my office, so to finaly get some of them off my back I said I had to get a cycst removed from my ovary (I know that one of them has cyscts as well so it would make sense to her) it seemed to do the trick. Hopefully this will be the end of the issue at work...somehow I doubt it will...:paranoid:rolleyes

I'll be banded in 4 weeks, and I have told a few people about it. I'm quite good friends with a few of the people I work with and have told them because I know they support me. I don't feel the need to lie about it, but if anyone I'm not close to asks, I'd probably just say I'm eating less and exercising more, which would be absolutely true! I'm single so I don't have to worry about anyone at home, and although I know my family would be absolutely supportive, they would also freak out if they knew I was having surgery in mexico, so I'm not telling my family until after the fact. My best friend also knows, because I want at least one person to know where I am at all times when I'm in Tijuana.

Don't know whether I'll tell my boss specifically what I'm having done, but she knows I'm having surgery. I asked for 2 weeks off, but I'm thinking about taking 3, not because I think I'll need it, but because I can. I've got over 400 hours of long term sick leave banked, and I might as well use some of it!!

I didn't tell anyone for the 1st 6 months except my boss, then after I was succeeding I did because I didn't want to lie when the 1st person asked me straight out if I had any type of surgery. But please people DO NOT tell them it's gallbladder surgery, sooo many of us has had to have gallbladder surgery after we have lost weight and that is not a web you wanna get into, pick something else like hernia etc.... IMHO

I'll be banded in 4 weeks, and I have told a few people about it. I'm quite good friends with a few of the people I work with and have told them because I know they support me. I don't feel the need to lie about it, but if anyone I'm not close to asks, I'd probably just say I'm eating less and exercising more, which would be absolutely true! I'm single so I don't have to worry about anyone at home, and although I know my family would be absolutely supportive, they would also freak out if they knew I was having surgery in Mexico, so I'm not telling my family until after the fact. My best friend also knows, because I want at least one person to know where I am at all times when I'm in Tijuana.

Don't know whether I'll tell my boss specifically what I'm having done, but she knows I'm having surgery. I asked for 2 weeks off, but I'm thinking about taking 3, not because I think I'll need it, but because I can. I've got over 400 hours of long term sick leave banked, and I might as well use some of it!!

I told no one but my best friend (she had the surgery 4 days after I did and is telling no one but me and her hubby) and hubby. My grown kids don't know. This is my business and as I plan to loose slow there is really no reason for anyone to know. Many people go on diets every day and succeed (at least for little while) we will just continue to succeed. After a while and many pounds lost they will just stop noticing. You will be one of the "normal" (I hate that expression) people. And remember...ONCE YOU TELL IT YOU CAN'T UNTELL IT. I have heard so many people on this forum say they would give anything if they had just kept their mouths shut.

Good luck to you,

Munch