Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is this going to be like?

So I've started my pre-opp / liver shrinking diet ... 13 days.. (now 12) I have to eat 800 calories per day or less.. I'm sure on an average day I chow down three times that (which is why I'm in this position). But basically high Protein, low cal is the goal.. beyond that I can kinda eat how I like. I'm also trying to go from 30 oz liquid a day (roughtly) to 60-70 which is really hard.

So day 1

Protein shake (300 cal with added Fairlife protein milk)

sugar free Jello

Marinated Vegetable salad X2 servings

Cottage cheese 1 cup (2%)

Fl Oz - 58 oz (protein shake, Water, flavored water)

I'm full of Fluid.. but having horrible head hunger.. I want something like chips or Cookies or..etc - not giving in but miserable.. Of course being full of Fluid means I can't go 15 minutes without peeing.. I'm also really tired and oddly I'm COLD (I'm always hot)

Is all of this.. normal? what else am I going to experience.. does it get easier.. I have 12 more days of this :( I know I should be grateful it's not as bad as a lot of other pre-opp diets but ugh.. it's so little food compared to what I normally eat..

If its just high Protein low cal, why not eat meat? Or are you on a liquid pre-op? If you aren't a vegetarian or a vegan, eating meat is going to keep you more satisfied.

Also when you only have 800 calories to work with, you don't want to blow 300 on Breakfast. I have learned that the hard way.

You could have a Protein shake that is around 160 calories for Breakfast, then another one at mid morning instead of spending 300 calories at breakfast.

Think of your daily calories like money and you are on vacation. You have 800 a day and you need to make it last. Do you really want to have lobster and crab followed up with a visit to spa all before 10am?

Space your calories out, if you eat every 2 hours, not just Jello. Head hunger won't be such an issue.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I have done intermittent fasting for quite a while and wondered if I have to eat my 800 calories throughout the day or if I can eat once per day and have my full allowance then in a bigger meal??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@jessjames

I do intermitten fasting. I haven't lately but i plan on going back to it.

I fast 16 hours, and eat my food in an 8 hour window. I don't start eating until noon and stop by 8pm.

You can't eat all your calories in one sitting for a long list of reasons, mainly your body won't absorb it all. Post op, you can't ingest much at once.

Intermitten fasting is a great way to combat cravings and learn control. I did it before i decided on surgery with some friends and helped a lot.

@@jessjames

I do intermitten fasting. I haven't lately but i plan on going back to it.

I fast 16 hours, and eat my food in an 8 hour window. I don't start eating until noon and stop by 8pm.

You can't eat all your calories in one sitting for a long list of reasons, mainly your body won't absorb it all. Post op, you can't ingest much at once.

Intermitten fasting is a great way to combat cravings and learn control. I did it before i decided on surgery with some friends and helped a lot.

Thanks for getting back to me, I know that's not possible post op.. Can u imagine haha, I was referring to the pre op diet! My 1000 cals low fat per day

It's the suck part of the deal.....the pre-op diet.

Your's is very liberal compared to most.

Space out your eats and stay ultra hydrated in between meals.

Stay occupied on many tasks and don't sit and think about food.

You are getting some good practice at flexing your new discipline-muscle.

We've all been there and made it through it.

It gets super easy later on after surgery. Super easy.

@@jessjames space it out so you eat every 2 hours or you will go nuts. I went to bed every night at 9 or 9:30 on pre-op. My diet was all liquids only and i felt like i was running on air. Still it was worth it in the end.

@@jessjames space it out so you eat every 2 hours or you will go nuts. I went to bed every night at 9 or 9:30 on pre-op. My diet was all liquids only and i felt like i was running on air. Still it was worth it in the end.

I am currently on a 2 week, pre-op, full-liquid diet. I'd give anything to have your limits- at least you get to eat!! There's no way I'd be wasting 300 calories on one Protein shake! Large eggs are 75 calories, unsweetened vanilla almond milk (almond breeze) is 30 calories a cup. A cup of cooked, diced, boneless, skinless chicken breast is 150 calories. A can of tuna packed in Water is 100 calories. Light and Fit greek yogurt (Dannon) is 80 calories per container. IF you want a shake, use the unsweetened almond milk and a greek yogurt, but I'd choose solid food over shakes any day! Plan it out, ONLY eat what you are allowed, measure... but EAT!!

Good news!

The first three days are the worst for most people. Thereafter, as long as they don't blow it and "cheat" with high-carbs, things chill out and you feel better.

But during those three days, headaches, tiredness, irritability and anxiety about not eating are pretty common. Hydration is your friend. Flush that crap out!

Hang in there. It's only two weeks. And, as you know, you're doing it to shrink your liver to reduce chances of complications from nicking or damaging the liver while operating in and around it. It's not about losing weight (although you will lose some).

FYI. The Protein shake was Breakfast and lunch combo. The Jello was a snack. The veggie salad was supper and the cottage cheese was another snack. That was a full day of food and I stuck within my limits. My Protein Shake kept me full for several hours and I added fruit and yogurt and stuff to it plus the milk that's why it was so high lol