Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to start losing before

Here are the basic principles that many of our programs require. It will work pre-op as well.

Eat your lean Protein first, and plenty of it. Think grilled chicken, not chicken nuggets.

Drink Water until your eyeballs float. That means wean yourself off of beverages with calories.

Don't eat anything made in a factory. That includes starchy foods such as flour, sugar, Pasta, (limit potatoes). Focus on fresh produce. Think apple instead of apple pie. Think steamed broccoli instead of scalloped corn.

Don't become part of the sofa. The human body is mechanical and designed to be in motion. If nothing else, get up and march through the house and up and down the stairs several times a day.

I lost 22 pounds pre-op following these principles. I wish you the best.

Welcome to the forum. Opinions and tact will vary, but we mean well.

Did you try talking with your surgeon's office? How about google? There are simple ways: cutting out sodas, calorie drinks, less trips to fast food and replacing with veggies & fruit that are fresh and not fried.

Have you started walking?

@"sunshine 75" Have you had an appointment with your Nutritionist yet? They should work with you on a plan pre-surgery. Here's what I was told:

- Eat every 3 hours (5-6 small meals)

- Meals should be 50% Protein/50% Produce

- Use small plates to get used to smaller portions

- Eat slowly and be mindful of how, what, when you eat

- avoid emotional eating

- don't eat while driving or in front of TV

- start or continue to exercise (even just walking)

- no Pasta, bread or rice

- read labels. All foods should have less than 5gms sugar and 5 gms fat (know your sugars - some food like fruit and veggies have sugars but they're OK to eat on my plan)

My NUT doesn't expect me to be perfect with this but it prepares me for eating post surgery.

Yep, what Miss Mac said

I'm finishing up my 6 month medically supervised period (hoping for surgery mid-late June) and so far I've dropped over 50lbs in that time. How? First, stopped the sugary drinks - that meant my daily starbucks habit, the sweet tea and dr pepper.

Next - logged everything and I mean every bite of everything I ate in myfitnesspal. at first - just log, then take a look at where you can cut carbs mostly. Keep the focus on Protein, fats in moderation (try to make wise choices here) and carbs at a minimum. Have you seen a nutritionist? They can look over your log and help you figure out good swaps to make for things. For me, I knew Pasta was my love and nemesis. I love Italian food and still wanted those flavors so instead of Pasta, I use zoodles "zucchini noodles made with a spiralizer" - still get the Italian flavors without all those pasta carbs.

Over the last 6 months I have very gradually reduced my calories - aided by tracking. I log everything before I eat - usually a day or two in advance. That way I can make adjustments if I need to before it's too late. Also, I've very slowly incorporated more activity - basically just walking.

The other thing that has really helped me is prepping my lunches and dinners for the workweek in advance. Now I'm no longer tempted to stop for take out on the way home when I don't have the energy to cook a full meal - I already have a healthy one prepped and ready to just reheat when I get home.

So take a deep breath, it can be done. the big first step is figuring out where you are starting at by logging your typical days now. Once you see that info in front of you, it can be surprisingly simple to figure out what to change.

All the best to you - you've got this!

I agree with @@heidikat72 Meal planning and prepping is critical to my success too. I bring all of what I'll need during the day at work - and drink Water constantly (forgot to mention that one above - but you need to drink alot of non-caloric drinks. I usually do much better if I have something ready and planned for dinner - or I tend to fall back on the quick carb filled choices. Of course, I've been on this "diet" for going on 6 weeks and only lost a pound (but my nutritionist wasn't concerned about that - I don't have a weight loss requirement).

The other thing that has really helped me is prepping my lunches and dinners for the workweek in advance. Now I'm no longer tempted to stop for take out on the way home when I don't have the energy to cook a full meal - I already have a healthy one prepped and ready to just reheat when I get home.

stopped sugary drinks - logged everything

@@heidikat72

wow, you said a mouthful above

everything you said should be done post op too :rolleyes:

drink as much Water as you can

very important to drink 64+ oz a day

down 50 lbs already!!

congrats

@@sunshine 75

all suggestions from "OP" above are great

more to follow i'm sure

have faith in yourself - i do!! :)

good luck

kathy

All these posts are the proper way but, I guess I didn't have the discipline needed which is why I guess I was so overweight. I went to my family practice doctor and he prescribed me weightless medication that allowed me to lose 30 pounds before my surgery. Just being honest since your asking people about their personal story. I took phetermine and topomax. Good Luck.

Sent from my LG-V410 using the BariatricPal App

I have been eating better and moving more, however my portions are crazy. I don't eat bad food chocolate, sweets, icecream, and drink only Water. However as I stated my good foods are still big portions. I definitely need to tone it down especially since my last app is in 6 days and I need to lose 6 lbs!

☆Jeni☆

This weight is stuck need help to start losing got approved but have to lose 1st please help me!!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using the BariatricPal App

I began using the My Fitness Pal app 4/13 and I've dropped 14 lbs when visiting the nutritionist. I'm keeping my caloric intake under 2000. I've been averaging between 1600-150 cal. My Fitness Pal has really been helpful!

Let's face it, the majority of us don't have the discipline/ability to do the "just eat healthy and exercise" route long term. It's overwhelming. These last 6 months have been hard, very hard and I've definitely had some bad days in there where I didn't eat to plan and/or really couldn't bring myself to hit the treadmill. The only thing that has kept me going this long is the impending surgery and wanting to get some things closer to being a good habit before surgery. Plus I figured whatever weight I lose before will make the surgery and recovery that much easier. But no lie, it is hard...but doable! This is our chance to take back our life and we - all of us - are worth fighting for!