Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Words of wisdom welcome!

Hello,

I am booked for the sleeve on June 28th and still having doubts. My concerns have more to do with life after the surgery beyond the initial month. I accept that it will be a challenge and one I need to get on with. Another person made an comment that stuck - it is learning to no longer use food as a way to manage emotions and feelings.

I keep thinking that if I didn't have long term success with normal dieting with liberal use of willpower isn't it likely that I will not be successful with this weight loss tool. Anyone struggle with this and how did you overcome?

Is there anything you wish you had done before the surgery or after the surgery?

What is the diet like a year on?

Basically any advice would be welcome. :)

I still didn't have surgery. But obesity runs in my family and more than ten members in my family have undergone the surgery and they are all doing well now. Sure, willpower is needed and you should be committed to follow a healthy lifestyle but you WILL loose A LOT of weight and won't be obese anymore so don't worry about it. The surgery and your small stomach will motivate you and make it easier to abide by a healthy lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you want to you can learn to use other things than food to help with emotions. A counselor can help you and we can also give you ideas here.

I am a stress cleaner. you can always tell how challenging my life is by how clean the bathroom/kitchen are.

Walking helps me deal with depression.

You can do this!

The sleeve is a tool. Not THE solution. If you are a binge eater you will still be...but you are going to hurt yourself as you won't be able to eat much. I know I needed this tool as hunger and huge quantities of food was my problem. Now I don't think about food that much and I have new hobbies. I'm not saying I am cured from head hunger, but I can control it, which I was not able to do in the past. I did not have counseling but it seems a good idea. And it is normal to doubt before such a change. Just think you do it for a better life!

Micoxv is right, the sleeve is a tool but what a wonderful tool it is. I have had a lifetime of dieting and here I am nearly a year out weight loss 91 lb running non stop for 25 minutes plus and loving my life. Yes I was afraid of the operation and life is a bit difficult for the first few weeks, but I can assure you that you will not feel hungry ! All the best to you and welcome to bariatric pal a fantastic place for advice, a laugh and friends.

By the way where shouts are you I am in Wales

Many thanks to all who've gone before! So reassuring and wise words indeed. I definitely will need to work on the head hunger! Feeling better about the op now.

Thanks from Aberdeen!

Here is my favorite thread in this forum. We share 1,321 reasons for following through with bariatric surgery. For me it was a stroke that convinced me I did not have time for another diet to fail.

The lifestyle changes that come with surgery are a better option for me that dying an early death like so many other obese people in my family. Hopefully it will give you some encouragement and show you that you are not in this fight alone.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219831-what-was-your-final-straw-that-broke-the-camels-back/?hl=%20final%20%20straw