Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve 5/5 and already I'm over shakes and cream Soup. I ate s few spoons full of tuna ( chewed until it was nothing but liquid) and I feel so much better and it stayed down. My question is, is this normal or am I crazy? Also am I allowed to have broccoli and cheddar soup from panera if I use my fine strainer?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

IMO, you are crazy if you are going against your team's post-op eating plan, but I can't tell from your post whether that's what you are doing or not.

Whether you can have Soup from Panera again depends on your plan from your team -- there aren't universal rules, and you need to be sure you follow the rules from your own team. I could have strained soup but I still had to make sure I stayed within my calorie and carb goals. Good luck!

They only gave me the generic plan that comes along in the guide book they give all patients I did not get anything specifically for me. And from my post yes I had a spoon full of tuna and it gave me all of life. All the Protein I have tried today made me sick from either end. I sent my doctor a message but just wanted some insight from other who have been down this path!! Thanks anyway.

Once you have a complication, It may take many months to recover from it because one complication begets another. It is not worth the risk to indulge in something ahead of your plan. I started soft foods at two weeks.

I know it's no fun, but the food phases are a right of passage into a new life. Watch this video to remind yourself of what just happened to your stomach. It needs time to heal, or you are setting yourself up for complications. I wish you a healthy recovery.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bariatric+sleeve+surgery+being+performed&&view=detail&mid=4309D3101079D2F74FE94309D3101079D2F74FE9&FORM=VRDGAR

I had my sleeve 5/5 and already I'm over shakes and cream Soup. I ate s few spoons full of tuna ( chewed until it was nothing but liquid) and I feel so much better and it stayed down. My question is, is this normal or am I crazy? Also am I allowed to have broccoli and cheddar soup from panera if I use my fine strainer?

I too can relate to your frustration from the routine of shakes and Soups. I was sleeved on 5/3 and on the full liquid phase. I tried a small peice of salmon (chewed to the God's might I add) myself and my stomach did perfectly fine. I'm definitely not going to make a habit of it but the short gratification I received from it was what I needed. I think anyone that says they have never dipped and dabbed during the post op phase would be lying. I also do not see anything wrong with the strained broccoli and cheddar soup. It's no different from the cream of chicken etc we are eating.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much I am literally over here almost in tears thinking I am the only one that has went through this!! I won't be making this a habit not until I'm way down the road and allow myself a cheat meal once a month lol!

Edited by ashleymuddah

Thank you so much I am literally over here almost in tears thinking I am the only one that has went through this!! I won't be making this a habit not until I'm way down the road and allow myself a cheat meal once a month lol!

We are in the same boat lol. And I think sometimes people on this site forget that this is a non judgmental forum and certain attitudes towards certain questions such as yours is all that it is...a simple question. Telling you you're crazy etc I'm sure is not what you intended for an answer!!! Good luck!!

I was sleeved on 5/3, I have been sticking to the liquid diet and I haven't been able to make my Protein or my Water for that matter. I am never hungry and feel full very quickly. The NP called today to check in with me and she said I had the option of adding cottage cheese, yogurt, and egg whites in to my diet if I wanted. I was to nervous to try though :/ I totally understand being over the shakes though lol! I hope things get better for you.

And I think sometimes people on this site forget that this is a non judgmental forum and certain attitudes towards certain questions such as yours is all that it is...a simple question. Telling you you're crazy etc I'm sure is not what you intended for an answer!!!

The advice being given is not judgemental....it's simply the honest truth. Sure, it's not what you or the OP wants to hear because it's not supporting and justifying going against surgeon's orders. But the advice IS being offered in the hopes of possibly saving a life (or at least an extended hospital stay). It's been less than a week and you are eating solids cause you are "over" shakes and cream Soups? ! Give me a break. i was on liquids for over a month and never once did the thought of eating off plan even cross my mind. My health and safety were far too important. I was committed to my choice and everything that goes along with WLS.

Do you realize our stomachs are being held together with a very thin line of teeny tiny staples? Do you know what a piece of tuna fish or salmon could do to that fresh, raw incision if it gets stuck in the staple line? The postop diet instructions exist so that we can heal without complications. It's not a torture method handed out by surgeons just for fun.

Yes, we have all been through it, so we do know what it feels like. But It's truly amazing to me how quickly some people are willing to start doing the wrong thing. Long term success depends on changing your eating habits....forever. Giving in to an urge after less than a week is not a good start.

Just for the record I never "dipped or dapped during the post op stage" and I am not a liar. I was scared to do anything that wasn't recommend in fear I might cause a complication.

Someone recently posted a thread about how she ate something post-op before allowed and ended up with an emergency EGD to dislodge it. It's not being judgemental when someone cautions you. Also - if you got sick from eating the food - the vomiting could cause major complications. If you need to have something other than what is recommended it's best to call your NUT beforehand.

You might have been on liquids for over a month but don't give me any of that give me a break bull crap. I made this decision and I knew what went along with it 100%. Think is the first surgery I have ever had IN MY LIFE so it took my a while to even say I was doing it. My health is my number one priority since I have a son to live for. I chewed up the damn tuna as if it was a shake anyway. The point of my post was to see if anyone else had similar feelings as me or experienced anything close, not to be made to feel like a piece of ****. You can nicely say don't do anything and just wait until I talk to my NUT tomorrow which I am going to do. You do not have the option to look down and judge me at any point of your life so back off. I am very committed and obesity or a very real physical and mental disease. I couldn't handle the shakes or cream Soups anymore because my body was telling me it had enough. If you wanted to give some advice you couldn't have given me some other alternatives to Ensure I was successful. I thought this was a support group but I was sadly mistaken.

Edited by ashleymuddah

Same here. 1 week Clear Liquids, one week full liquids, one week purée and one week soft foods before given the green light. I made an agreement with myself to do anything and everything my surgeon asked since, to that point, doing it my way wasn't working. So no, I didn't dip or dap in "forbidden" food. I believe you are seeking ratification of your decision, rather than advice from those who came before. Kindle is right, a piece of fish, even fish chewed to high heaven, can get stuck in your raw staple line and cause serious damage. Oh and for the record, the OP's post asked if she was crazy. So, if you don't want honest answers, don't ask the question. Good luck getting through the stages, you may actually need it.