Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omeprazole how long and how much?

I at week no. 6 post op. Still taking omeprazole but dont know if I still need it. How long do anyone took it?

my doctor took me off it at a month except as needed, I still need it 2-3 times a week. I start getting a sour stomach and I know it's time to take one.

talk to your team and see what they recommend.

I agree with asking your surgical team. My program told us they used to do 6 mos but with newer research they just changed to 3 months; however, because I came into this with esophagitis and evidence of previous stomach erosion they are keeping me on the pantoprazole I was already on for 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree ask your team. I was told 6 months, I am now at 9 months out and still take pepcid 10mg 2 x day. I had terrible gerd before surgery but had a hernia repair also, just afraid it may come back, and some days i do have some gerd, so I just keep taking it. Will see doc this week and ask him.

40mg 1 x day for 4 months post op. I'm on my last month now.

I took an H2 blocker (Ranitadine, 150 mg. twice a day) pre-op. That's a pretty mild Rx for gastric reflux, btw.

Post-op, my bariatric surgeon prescribed a stronger PPI antacid (Protonix), which I took once a day for 4 months.

Then I went back on Ranitadine, and my reflux isn't any worse than it was pre-op as long as I don't eat a lot of foods (especially late in the day) that aggravate reflux, e.g., caffeine, red wine, chocolate, Tomato sauces, etc.

And if you have gastric reflux you really, really, really HAVE to not eat for two hours before bedtime (when you lie down prone). This not lying down for two hours after a meal is a big deal. You can google that and learn about the preponderance of research that supports that behavior to minimize reflux.

Good luck to you. :)

I was told 1 month pre op, 3 months post op.

I just had my surgery on 5/5/16. I haven't started taking this yet, but I guess I should be!? My doctor said to take it until they tell me to stop. I just didn't know if I should be taking it right now that I am on liquids only.

Yup. Take it. Stomach acid doesn't stop being produced because you're drinking liquids.

Hmm, I took it for 3 months and then they told me any 24 hour antacid would do, so once the omeprazole ran out, I switched to the costco generic Zantac.

I have never had a single hint of heartburn. I still take one before having a cocktail.