Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 weeks post op plateau HELP!

How do you get the Protein you need without over eating? What amount of food are you eating? What stages are ya'll at? I am only 7 weeks out. I was told I had to eat 2 meals @ 1/4 cup and 1 shake for Breakfast until I am 3 months out then I can move up to 1/3 cup of food twice a day, then at 6 month go to 1/2 cup of food twice a day. Then at 1 yr I can go to 1 cup of food twice a day for the rest of my life. Of course that is with a shake for breakfast everyday.

That's insane that you have been told to only eat 2 meals a day! I was told to eat 5-6 times a day once I was actually "eating" and not just drinking everything. And now that I'm running and doing so much cardio and I'm in maintenance, I have to eat more like 7-8 times a day to get enough calories in.

It's not physically possible for you to get enough calories and Protein in in two meals with the restriction of the sleeve! I feel like maybe you need to call or meet with your nutritionist to make sure that's actually what you are supposed to be trying to do. Seems just crazy to me!

Add another shake if you need to. I was drinking 2 shakes a day for at least 6 months and at 11 months post-op, I still have one a day in addition to the food I am getting. You definitely need to increase a little.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

Just to give you a picture of what I was eating around 7-8 weeks post-op to get my 100 grams of Protein in:

Breakfast: Protein shake or bar

Morning Snack: reduced fat string cheese

Lunch: 2-4 oz. of meat

Afternoon Snack: Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt

Dinner: 2-4 oz. of meat

Evening Snack: Protein Shake or bar

How do you get the Protein you need without over eating? What amount of food are you eating? What stages are ya'll at? I am only 7 weeks out. I was told I had to eat 2 meals @ 1/4 cup and 1 shake for Breakfast until I am 3 months out then I can move up to 1/3 cup of food twice a day, then at 6 month go to 1/2 cup of food twice a day. Then at 1 yr I can go to 1 cup of food twice a day for the rest of my life. Of course that is with a shake for breakfast everyday.

I hate to say anything bad about someone's surgeon's advice, but this is just not enough food for someone 7 weeks out. I am 8 weeks today, and my surgeon doesn't dictate amounts, she knows each sleeve recovers differently and everyone's capacity will vary. She does say to get in a minimum of 64 gm of Protein and 600-800 calories a day at this point. That's twice what you're getting. I have two Snacks a day in addition to my meals - usually yogurt and a cheese stick during the week. I change it up on the weekends. Just the yogurt and cheese add 20 gm or protein to my day.

I would urge you to consider adding a couple Snacks to start with, and maybe a half a Protein Drink after dinner.

Porkchop911- aren't these people amazing? It's like having a whole team of nutritionists at your fingertips! The motivation they give is also super. I wish I could offer advice but I'm only a bit over two weeks out and trying to up my calories (per advice of my online team :) :) :) ). I will say this though- you have the best online name ever!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Porkchop911- aren't these people amazing? It's like having a whole team of nutritionists at your fingertips! The motivation they give is also super. I wish I could offer advice but I'm only a bit over two weeks out and trying to up my calories (per advice of my online team :) :) :) ). I will say this though- you have the best online name ever!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you. I do like my name... porkchop was a nickname from a friend and my b day is 9/11. So I put it all together and have porkchop911.. these people are amazing. I am so impressed with the wealth of information and resources we get from this forum.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

@@Porkchop911,

Ditto what everyone else said. You’re doing fine! You’ve lost a ton of weight, and you’re due for a stall. Your body is just adjusting.

During this stall, why not take the opportunity to take your focus off of the scale and put it on something you can control a little better? Maybe you can up your calories a little bit, make sure to hit your Protein goals, and get in more fluids if you’re not hitting your recommendations.

You’re doing great, though, and a plateau is normal. Just be patient, even though it’s hard.

I am only four weeks post surgery and have lost 43 lbs so far. It's tough to get in 90-100 grams of Protein and 48-64 oz of liquid. I feel like I am drinking constantly. The best way to get enough Protein is to drink Protein shakes with 25-30 grams of protein each. You can make them with milk or almond milk and add a few frozen strawberries or other frozen fruit. They mix up quickly in a blender and are very tasty. Some recipes say to add a packet of Splenda but I don't think you need to do this. The shakes are sweet enough as they are. I use Pure Protein powder from Walmart. It tastes good (not chalky) and mixes well in the blender.