Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating after GBP ..... Concerns about failing

So as I get closer to completing all of my testing for revision from lap and to gbp the reality of life after GBP is starting to settle in ... Right now I have had 7 yrs of barely eating.. Never feeling hungry ... Etc ( not that I ever went down to goal ). The last 8 months I have been eating a yogurt around 10 am ... lunch at about 2 and then Soup of some sort or soft food in the evening ( and gaining weight ) .... With GBP I've been told you have to eat 3 small meals high Protein , veggies ... But isn't there anyone else out there concerned , nervous etc about gaining weight and having this fail ??

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Yes I just came home from the hospital today, sipping broth as I'm typing. My band was removed and I was converted to GBP. Very sore but I am determined to follow directions and use this as my second chance. I hated the band. I feel it was the reason for gaining more weight.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm concerned as well. Had band removed 3/16. Conversion to bypass scheduled for June 7, I see the success of others, and that gives me hope. I know I wasn't losing with the band...and I know I wasn't losing before the band. All I can do is give it my best effort.

Edited by waterwoman

Im 2 weeks post op. I had my band removed 4 months ago and then a GBP 15 days ago. I've lost 20 pounds and my BMI is 33 and I'm over 40 yrs old. I'm very pleased.

I learnt to eat around my band... slider foods, eating slowly (but kept eating), eating higher calorie softer foods that were easy to get through the band etc. Unlike you, I gained back 40 pounds of the weight I lost (lost 70 in all). Trust me, it is A LOT easier to gain weight back with a band than with a bypass.

Right now its super hard for me to get in all my Protein, Water etc in. I have to be super careful about what I eat (I'm on mushy diet now) as some things just don't "sit right". Day by day I am learning what my new anatomy will allow me to digest without discomfort. I am still not able to consume more than 600-800 calories per day - some days less if what I have eaten makes me feel too full and ooky :-). From what I hear this continues for several months as your body adjusts to its new plumbing :-). Further to that, I look at food and WANT it, but the body says Noooo :-)

With my limited two weeks of experience with the GBP I can tell you it feels entirely different..... you will eventually eat more whole foods but smaller portions and not want any more for hours. I think that is a much more sustainable eating pattern than soft or liquid foods.

Good luck :-)