Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to get fixed, suggestions?

I was banded in 2005, had lost 62 pounds at one point. A year ago June, I had my last successful fill. (I went to Dr. Joya in PV, Washington State for my fills) 8 months ago, I had decided I needed to go for another fill, hadn't been losing. At the time of the fill, the nurse took out 5.9 ccs, which was pretty good, my fill 6 months before had been 6.2ccs. She did bend the needle and had to start over, and at one point, for about 2 seconds, I thought I was instantly going to vomit. I never did figure out what that was about. That fill, she put in 8.2, which seems like a lot, but the funny thing was, I never felt like I had had a fill at all.

A week later, I called and told them there must be a problem, I experience not fill. Well, they tell me I have a leak, they're 99% sure its at the port area, not the band. They will fix it for $4,000. Yikes, I'm still paying for my initial surgery and the fills I've already had.

I have still gotten "stuck" on some things, and I called and told them, about 3 months later, that I'm wondering if they just might check again, I do occasionally get stuck. They checked, and no, I have leak somewhere, now they can fix it for $5,000. I didn't even bother asking why it went up $1,000, I don't even have the $4,000.

I am just bummed, I've gained half my weight back, my feet and knees are killing me again. To go back to PV, which I loved, and I also felt that Dr. Joya did a really good job, but it would cost me airfare from Oregon to PV, plus the $$ to get the passport I don't have.

I just called a DR. in Colorado who is pretty reasonable, but he won't do repairs on other Drs. surgeries. Is there a recommended Dr. in the US or along the border that is reputable, not cost-prohibitive, and that will take other Mexico surgery patients? This is getting depressing, and I'm going nowhere but backward. Thanks, Karen

Yeah, Dr. Aceves will fix it, he's in Mexico on the Calexico border.

LAP-BAND,laparoscopic banding,bariatric surgery,obesity

Maybe just call the office and see if they use that thick stuff that is supposed to plug a leak. If you didn't have the fill under fluoro with contrast I wouldn't be jumping to a leak just yet. She might have missed your port.

With all my fills, I've had flouro, including the one that ended it. I had called and asked about that thick stuff, even had a name for it, they never use it they told me. So, as far as the Washington fill place, I guess that's out, as I don't have $5,000 to give them to fix it. Karen

With all my fills, I've had flouro, including the one that ended it. I had called and asked about that thick stuff, even had a name for it, they never use it they told me. So, as far as the Washington fill place, I guess that's out, as I don't have $5,000 to give them to fix it. Karen

So, go someplace else.

I just read your post, and as someone who had--HAD---a leak in their port area my advice to you is: WAIT IT OUT. I was experiencing the same kind of volume loss as you were...was going in once every 2-3 weeks to get refilled (my doctor felt so bad about the leak, he let me come in for free for those fills). I kept asking about getting it fixed...since my insurance wouldn't pay for it, I was concerned about price. My doctor was a sweetheart...he said he'd waive his surgery fee for me, but the hospital still wanted $8,000 for the operating room fees!

His advice was to wait it out...I was still losing, albeit slowly, and I could keep coming in every 2 weeks to get "topped off". I was losing about 1cc every 2 weeks...a pain in the patookus, but still better than shelling out $8K.

Then, something miraculous happened. I went in for a fill, and when they checked to see how much was in my band...I hadn't lost ANYTHING! It was all there from the last time! This mystfied me...how could that be possible?

We still never figured it out, but my doc suspects that instead of a leak in my band or port, I actually may have had a kink in the tube going from the port to the band. This may have created a situation where saline was being pushed out back through the port area. Something must have happened to "un-kink" the tube, and VOILA...I was fine!

This had actually happened to about 2 or 3 of us in his office...we all miraculously "self-fixed" the leak and didn't have to pay to correct it. I would suggest talking to your doctor about this possibility and to think about waiting a while before making any appointments for more surgery. I can think of better ways to spend a few grand, can't you? :)

The only thing is, that I'm not losing, I've gained 25 pounds back, and my feet and knees are again hurting from it. And I can't keep going for fills, because they're $375. each! I've emailed a couple doctors, including the one in Mexicali, to see what they have to say. I'm not sure if the doctors in Mexico would work with each other, but it would be nice to be able to just go across the border. I guess I'll see what they say and go from there. Right now I feel like I bought a brand new car, but I can't drive it because it has a flat tire LOL. Karen

The only thing is, that I'm not losing, I've gained 25 pounds back, and my feet and knees are again hurting from it. And I can't keep going for fills, because they're $375. each! I've emailed a couple doctors, including the one in Mexicali, to see what they have to say. I'm not sure if the doctors in Mexico would work with each other, but it would be nice to be able to just go across the border. I guess I'll see what they say and go from there. Right now I feel like I bought a brand new car, but I can't drive it because it has a flat tire LOL. Karen

Not sure where you live but on the off chance it is Phoenix, we are going to Mexicali a week from today, 8/18. You are MORE than welcome to go with us. Or, if you are anywhere between Phoenix and Mexicali we'll pick you up.

If you have to fly then check with the airlines and see if it is cheaper for you to fly from your home to San Diego or Phoenix, it's usually cheaper to fly to Phoenix. Then I'll pick you up and you can go with us. Or, if it is cheaper to go to San Diego then Dr. Aceves' van will pick you up. There is no charge for the van ride. They'll take you to the hospital and back to the airport again.

I know Dr. A works on other patients, he fixes ports, does fills, etc. The way he explained it to me is that if I were in Monterrey, for example, and had some sort of problem he knows Dr. Rodriguez would see me if I had a problem, it's only right that he sees other doctor's patients as well.

If you can just get to Phoenix then that would be all your transportation costs right there... meaning, just the airfare.

KansasSooner and I are going there in a week, so you are welcome to come along if you wish.

Not sure when you'll check back so I'll PM you this as well as posting it.

Thanks so much for the offer to ride with you! unfortunately, I'm in Oregon. To be honest, I wasn't exactly sure where Mexicali is, hadn't looked it up yet. I did send his office a note and tomorrow will probably call and talk to them. It's going to take me probably at least a couple weeks, my husband's going hunting for 9 days, etc, but it will be nice to have a concrete idea finally as to what I can do. I know I should probably go ahead and go to Dr. Joya, but that would take even longer, waiting for the visa, etc. As it is, I'm hoping we can swing it, but the way I'm looking at it, is I feel like I have to do this for me, my health, and life! Again, thanks for the offer. Karen

Thanks so much for the offer to ride with you! unfortunately, I'm in Oregon. To be honest, I wasn't exactly sure where Mexicali is, hadn't looked it up yet. I did send his office a note and tomorrow will probably call and talk to them. It's going to take me probably at least a couple weeks, my husband's going hunting for 9 days, etc, but it will be nice to have a concrete idea finally as to what I can do. I know I should probably go ahead and go to Dr. Joya, but that would take even longer, waiting for the visa, etc. As it is, I'm hoping we can swing it, but the way I'm looking at it, is I feel like I have to do this for me, my health, and life! Again, thanks for the offer. Karen

Thought I could save you some transportation money. Sorry. It was worth a try anyway.

Mexicali is on the other side of Calexico, California. Their van driver goes to San Diego daily to pick up/drop off.

I just feel sorry for you that you have to go through this.

For the last 8 months, I've been depressed about it, not wanting to use more of our finances for ME and my weight problem. I know I shouldn't have a problem, and I do feel guilty. I at least should have learned to do better when my band was working. I had never planned to have it taken out as long as it wasn't affecting me adversely. I don't know if I've talked myself into this, but I'm thinking, I'd spend money on getting my teeth fixed (although I'm putting off some dental work b/c I want this more LOL), so why can't I do this w/o feeling guilty? And actually, I think it would help my whole family in more ways than a grocery bill.

Now that I've pretty much gotten past the guilt part, I'm searching for the least expensive way to do it, but still with a good doctor. It's not like I want to go to a quack, but I believe there are doctors that are there to heal people, not just get rich; maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm going to keep persuing this. Thanks for the encouragement! Karen