Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery date was the 20th of April, so I'm now 6 days post-op. Since then (unless I have been knocked out by the heavy duty pain killers or anti-ametics) I have been super super tired but struggled to sleep, then when I DO sleep I have crazy crazy dreams and only sleep for an hour or two at a time. I did a bit of research thinking that maybe this was the anesthetic.... and found this. Anyone else experiencing?

"The “surgical stress response“, the body’s hormonal and metabolic response to the trauma of surgery, is quite profound and has an important effect on the subsequent amount and quality of sleep. The bigger the surgery, it seems, the more significant is the stress response and the accompanying sleep disturbance.

During the stress response, hormones from the pituitary gland are released, and the sympathetic nervous system is activated (adrenaline and its companion “fight or flight” hormones). Metabolic changes include increased blood sugar, and breakdown of body Protein. Injured tissues release cytokines and other potent chemicals associated with inflammation.

Pain, and the medications used to treat pain, sedatives, food deprivation, fever, psychological factors, age, and a person’s usual sleep profile all affect sleep after surgery."

FULL ARTICLE http://surgiprep.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/does-anesthesia-cause-sleep-disturbance/

I went through the same thing! Two weeks out and my sleep is still off. I normally fall right asleep and now I've found I'm having a hard time settling. It's better than it was, but I definitely feel your pain. My mother is a nurse and she also attributes it to the surgery process, as you found in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I went through the same thing! Two weeks out and my sleep is still off. I normally fall right asleep and now I've found I'm having a hard time settling. It's better than it was, but I definitely feel your pain. My mother is a nurse and she also attributes it to the surgery process, as you found in your search.

How much are you sleeping 2 weeks out @ambermj?

I went from only sleeping about 4 hours at a time now I get 6-8 if I take my pain meds right at bedtime. However, I can't usually fall asleep until 2 or 3 at night and then I either get up and lose sleep or I sleep in and get behind on the whole Fluid and Protein thing. It's such a fine balance right now ;) but it's getting better!

Hi

I have been sleeping ok...considering im resting all day at the moment...so not a lot to physically tire me out.

But i have been having the most horrific dreams!!!

Im always being attacked...either physically or mentally...just horrible nightmares...every night since day 3. Im day 7 now. I also have terrible headaches...blinding like a Migraine.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using the BariatricPal App

Hi

I have been sleeping ok...considering im resting all day at the moment...so not a lot to physically tire me out.

Im always being attacked...either physically or mentally...just horrible nightmares...every night since day 3. Im day 7 now. I also have terrible headaches...blinding like a Migraine.< /p>

i hear you! Have had the headaches as well up until today (6 days post op). I stopped pain meds day 2 cos they make me feel worse and contribute to the headaches. I particularly find Oxycodone gives me a cracking headaches. Could it be your pain meds?

Do you think perhaps the meds are what are triggering the dreams and headaches?

I found when i had the meds in hospital i was actually dreaming (i never normally do) and my sleep was off....

When i got home i didn't take the meds only paracetamol and ive slept perfectly since

Generally after surgery, you have so many wounds/scars that it is hard to find a comfortable position when you sleep. Some people sleep in a recliner for the first few days. I sleep in a Water bed, and trying to exit the bed was murder because of the pain. As time went on and the scars/wounds healed, it became more acceptable. As I lost the weight, I not longer had a fat cushion between my legs and I found that putting a pillow between my legs helped a lot.

I think your nightmares/strange dreams may be due to your pain medication. It would be advantageous to get off this medicine as soon as you are able.

Hi

Im always being attacked...either physically or mentally...just horrible nightmares...every night since day 3. Im day 7 now. I also have terrible headaches...blinding like a Migraine.< /p>

i hear you! Have had the headaches as well up until today (6 days post op). I stopped pain meds day 2 cos they make me feel worse and contribute to the headaches. I particularly find Oxycodone gives me a cracking headaches. Could it be your pain meds?
I stopped the strong pain meds a couple of days ago...only taking panadol...but the headache continues.

I've eliminated the meds, dehydration and hypoglycemia so i think its coming from my neck. It was quite stiff post op...but obviously masked with the hosp meds.

My procedure was quite long and I'm thinking maybe the intubation etc for anaesthetic has caused some muscle spasms or ???

I feel more pain from my headaches tgan stomach atm.

Do you think perhaps the meds are what are triggering the dreams and headaches?

I found when i had the meds in hospital i was actually dreaming (i never normally do) and my sleep was off....

When i got home i didn't take the meds only paracetamol and ive slept perfectly since

Hi AussieGirl81 Did you hav a band procedure?

I had band removal ( much scarring) and gastric bypass surgery.

The pain difference is like night n day.

I didnt need at home meds after band at all...not even panadol. But the gbp is 2 hours+ and a whole other world of pain. At days 6 + 7 I'm getting by on panadol... but only just. ????

I have had the band and now i have the sleeve...

For me... ... the recovery for the sleeve is so much easier than the band.

The band had my stomach muscles in pain... with the sleeve, i have literally no pain at all from day 1

Edited by AussieGirl81

Yep. Same thing happened to me. I would say it went on for a week. Once I got out walking and back to work normal sleep returned.

2 weeks out and I was also having nightmares. The fist night (recently) I tried sleeping without pain meds nor tylenol I still had nightmares. I would wake up in panic, but I am having a little stress with hubby so it prob is the surgery and the stress.

I had crushing headaches post surgery for about a week or so. Nothing helped the pain. Then they just stopped. Hopefully yours will as well.

Hi I had my bypass on the 19th April. I also am having trouble sleeping, only sleeping for short periods of time throughout the night. Not taking much fluids on board and struggling with shakes as they are so sweet. Glad I am not on my own .