Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do We have to Live with Acid Reflux?

Almost EVERY single night I wake up choking with acid. I have not had a fill since March, 07. I am taking Protonix for the acid but still wake up each night choking from the acid. Then I spend the next 1-2 hours coughing and trying to get back to sleep. Any suggestions? I have a hard time believing that I am "too full" in the band. I have had this fill for over 5 months. I have started sleeping in the recliner after an acid choking episode so I don't keep my wife up. There has to be something I can do.

I am reluctant to go back to the surgeon because my insurance does not cover visits after one year (Surgery 4-06). Each time the surgeon sees me I get a bill for $130.00 Does anybody out there have this problem? Please respond.

Thank you.

Yes, I have the exact same problem and I hate it. I've been filled and unfilled a dozen times. I'm not losing weight any longer and hate the band...<br /> <br /> When I'm unfilled I don't have the acid but I also don't have any restriction. When I have even a slight fill I'm miserable and still don't lose weight as I lean toward eating unhealthy mushy stuff.<br /> <br /> The acid reflux in the night is the worst thing.

I think you have to go see the surgon or at the very least your PCP. It really sounds like something serious could be going on. Please go see your doctor.

start paying attention to how close to going to bed you eat or drink, and stop everything a couple hours at least before bed... and if that doesn't work, try 3 hours, and longer til it does work.

I had to get a defill because of this. You shouldn't live with it, and it's not good for you. You could get aspiration pneumonia from inhaling the stuff that comes up. That's why you're coughing right? You inhale and choke on whatever the liquid is that comes up? That's what it was for me.

I'd get a defill. It would help it. I know it sucks, but you can't live with that... it's hell. Has it been like this since your last fill 5 months ago?

My surgeon told me that it is basically not possible to get acid reflux with a properly adjusted band and if you do get reflux then something isn't right.

I know if I lie down too soon after eating or drinking, before the food has left my pouch, it can cause a "backup" and I feel like the food is sitting too high in my chest. (Hard to explain.)

Before surgery I had acid reflux so badly that I would wake up at night choking and gasping for air but post-op it has been completely cured.

I don't think you should have to suffer with this because I don't believe this is a normal symptom of having a band. Good luck and I hope it improves.

This is not a solution but it does help me and allow me to sleep. When I wake up with reflux I have a cough drop on my night stand handy and put it in my mouth. It is the only thing that kills the acid taste and keeps me from choking. I am then able to fall back to sleep and normally do not wake up again. I keep the cough drop in my mouth while sleeping (I am sure this is not great for your teeth but it sure beats not sleeping). Sometimes if I feel I ate something too late I put one in my mouth when going to bed. GOOD LUCK!

Vicky - I do the same thing. I have a bag of Fisherman's Friend cough drops by the bedside. They taste terrible but much better than the acid. I do think in my case it may be more a pb than reflux as it tends to only happen on nights I eat or drink withing 3-4 hours of going to bed.

I am back after a long break from LBT and what do I find -- my exact problem here in print! I have been banded over a year and a half and have just recently started having problems with GERD/acid reflux. I too wake up in the middle of the night choking -- SCARY! I had a partial unfill last week and have had no middle of the night incidents since:). What I have noticed though, is that if I have a PB or some problems getting food down now, what comes up now is more like vomit than it used to be. It used to be regurgitated food -- like what just went down. Now it is acidy and gross -- like when I vomitted pre-banding. I am concerned that my band may have slipped. How is acid in the pouch if I am adjusted properly etc.....Does anyone else notice this who has the coexiting GERD/acid reflux issues?

Do you have sleep apnea or ever did a sleep study to see? I had bad acid reflux (before being banded) and when I was placed on a CPAP at night the reflux stopped. Yes it could be band related, but it could be something else.

I've had this an according to my surgeon, it's very rarely actual acid and is usually food left in the pouch backing up into the esophagus. I find that if I stop eating by 7:00 (and am vigilent about it) I don't have problems.

Also, this is a strong indicator of being overfilled. Maybe see about a slight unfill to take care of this?

For me, a bit of an unfill left me ravenous and ready to eat EVERYTHING in sight, so I got the fill back, and *really* have to manage it to keep from aspirating.