Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello there,

I am a newbie and I wanted to ask what the psych evaluation will entail? I don't wanna say the wrong things but what if I have an issue with anxiety? My dad just passed so if they ask if I am or was depressed will that fail me? I also have been on anti depressants and anti anxieties when my mom passed to so

I'm wondering if they view that info? Thank you for your help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

They wanted to be sure I knew the basics of what RNY and WLS itself entailed. He wanted to hear me say that I understood this was a huge lifestyle change and what impacts it would have on my life and that I was committed to it. He asked what went into my decision to have the surgery. I don't think there would be an issue unless they hear you're having surgery for all the wrong reasons or don't seem competent to make such a big decision. It was a far less scary meeting than I expected. Good luck to you!

First, I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I applaud you for being able and willing to take this huge step to take care of yourself during a time when you are grieving.

The psych eval seems to vary from person to person, ranging from a few simple questions like "do you know what you are doing" and "why are you having this surgery" to a long and tedious questionnaire. Generally, it seems that if you are approaching this journey with a sound mind and a solid understanding of what the surgery entails physically and emotionally, I think you'll do just fine.

Hang in there. <3 I know I'm just an internet stranger but I am here if you ever want to message me and talk or ask questions. I have had such an amazing journey and so much success, and I want to give back.

Good luck! :)

Sorry for your loss. They are looking for certain words that you way or phrases or reasons of why you are having the surgery. If you say that you want to look great in a pair of jeans, that won't go over well! But if you say you are doing this for your health and talk mostly about that, whether it is for your heart of diabetes or blood pressure, whatever your demon, those are all great reasons and they love that. I would keep the conversation along those lines.

They will ask about depression and anxiety but it is absolutely okay for you to be on meds as long as it's "controlled". They'll ask about hospitalizations for mental health reasons. They will want to know how you handle stress and emotional challenges particularly your eating during these times. Please be honest - they are there to make sure you are ready and can be successful. If they have concerns, they'll probably refer you to counseling but we all could use a little therapy anyway. Good luck and I'm very sorry about your Dad.

Be honest. They are only there to help.

Yes, you should be honest but focused on your priorities. I tend to joke around a lot and they didn't take well to that! Of course, my priorities are my health but sometimes my mouth rambles on and they "flunked" me for that part. So, now I make sure to tell people to focus on their health which is really what we all want. ANd of course if depression is something you deal with, you mention it if they ask. No lying of course! It's all about how you present yourself. They don't have a sense of humor! lol. For example, if they ask you why you are having the surgery, you don't say "I have depression" but if they ask you about depression, you say yes and I'm working with my dr on this or whatever your truth is. I have just learned to make sure I am answering the question they are asking. But maybe that is me.

I have battled depression and anxiety for years. I am medicated and it is basically controlled, until its not, which has been a while. I had the huge long questionnaire (MMPI) and talked to the psych. I was clear from the get go as to how I think I ended up where I was (emotional eater) and how I planned to keep it from happening again. I also was very clear that I wanted to continue to be in counseling post-op to deal with issues as they arose. I don't go to that psych for my counseling, but I have continued my counseling. I think having a plan is part of what they are looking for and that you've thought this all through.

Best,

pam

Im 6'3" 270 lbs to look at me people might wonder why him. I have severe diabetes so im hoping i can reverse it. Since my first session i have lost 50 lbs, my concern is they may not do surgery since i have dropped so much if the weight on my own

@@bigmoe99 Doesn't seem like I've heard that happen to others who have also lost a lot of weight before hand, especially if you are still over the BMI % that they call normal.

Just left my pre op surgery appointment may 31 is my surgery date dr. Said the weight loss should help recovery time

Edited by bigmoe99

Mine was a face to face conversation with lots of questions, then 2 tests that took 2 hours!! I have an addiction, anxiety, and depression background, and I passed. (All under control now)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

@@ilydc

I am so very sorry for your loss. Having lost both my parents at an early age, I understand the anxiety and depression that comes along with grief.

Only time will heal and all the good memories will comfort you.

Hugs!