Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good morning! I'm new to this site. I'm three months into my medically supervised diet. I have my psychological evaluation today. Can anyone tell me what this consists of?

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I had mine yesterday. If you didn't already complete a patient history and questionnaire then that's the first step. You will need to answer some questions regarding your eating habits (mostly related to emotional eating), alcohol and substance use, and a depression/anxiety screening. The Psychiatrist will review all of your paperwork and then ask questions regarding eating habits, emotional state, any history of abuse or trauma, diet attempts in the past, history of weight problems, support you have, what knowledge you have of the surgery (before, during and after), etc. I googled Psych Eval for Bariatric Surgery and found some helpful info. Just be honest - they're there to help and make sure you are ready for such a drastic change in your life. Good luck! After mine, there were no concerns but I asked about help with emotional eating and she recommended I see the Psychologist in the WLS Practice for behavior modification counseling. I want to have as many tools to help me after surgery. Good luck!

Edited by KristenLe

Thank you! I'm nervous lol. Good luck with your journey!

Mine was very easy and focused mostly on my relationship with food and my general mental health. It only took about 45 minutes and consisted of questions like do you eat when your sad? and how is your relationship with your family? Good luck on your journey:)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Mine was easy, lasted about 30 minutes. Had a lot of questions of The questionnaire to answer. We chatted as not about my support at home, eating habits, triggers of my eating, stuff like that.

~Jenn~

Surgery date 5/18/16

Nothing for you to worry about! You will be given the MMPI 2 (Minneapolis Multi Phase Personality Inventory test), then have a sit down with the Psychiatrist. Took the same test prior to the Police Academy and then again before being hired as a Deputy (many years ago). From what I remembered, seems like it has not changed a great deal. What stuck in my mind is how they would ask the same question repeatedly, just worded slightly different.

In had mine yesterday, was easier than I thought it would be. I had to do that 344 question test, talked about my life, weight loss in the past, why I chose surgery, support at home, where I turn for stress relief, my personal goals, etc. took less than an hour and she cleared me!

Wendilin

Mine included all the above plus a battery of 3 tests totaling 600 questions.

There were 2 sessions with a shrink. Lots of background info collected. A strengths and threats to long-term success assessment was done.

Was interesting.

Good morning! I'm new to this site. I'm three months into my medically supervised diet. I have my psychological evaluation today. Can anyone tell me what this consists of?

I'm 2 months out and have my eval next week. I'm wondering the same thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

My psych eval pretty much consisted of talking about my life, better ways to handle stress and emotional eating after surgery, and making sure I have support. I was so nervous about this appointment but it turned out to be really easy and it was nice to talk to someone about the process and what to do after to maximize the benefits of surgery.

I had mine about two weeks ago and it was no big deal at all.....there was a lot of paperwork I had to fill out before hand.....and other than that she just asked me about my previous diet attempts.....and then asked questions around my mental well being....."have I ever tried to hurt myself?"....have I ever thrown up in order to loose weight?......just stuff like that....I thought I'd feel really weird about it because I've never gone to therapy or anything like it, but it was just basically sitting down and talking with someone.

I had mine yesterday. It was a check to make sure I understood the changes that needed to be made, that I had a support system, and that I didn't have any red flags for eating disorders. Also, a check to see that I was following the prescribed diet. If anything major had come up, they would have offered me extra classes or supports to get me where I needed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App