Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeons Goal vs Personal Goal

So I'm almost 1 month post op on the 16th and I met with my doctor today. He seemed okay with my weight loss 22lbs including my 7 day liquid diet. HW 256 SW 252 CW 229. I'm 5'4. He wants me under 200lbs the next time he sees me in 2 months. I asked what my ideal weight should be and he said 115. I said I would be okay being between 150-160lb. But he would be happy with me between 135-140. Because my BMI would be around 25. I was kind of taken back by that! He doesn't want me eating any type of carbs right now and he said I need to workout at minimum 4 days. So my butt needs to get the gym!

FYI: The last time I was 135 I was maybe 13 or 14! I have been over 175 since 22 or 23 and I'm currently 32 years old.

Edited by FayBee

one day at a time and see how it goes!

when my doctor asked me about goals - well. I said 160. I can't even wrap my mind around being that small! he laughed a little and told me I was going to blow that goal away. 129 would be the top of normal weight for me. We'll see. For now, I am just following the plan I am on and moving my body - walking - pilates - and we will see where it takes me. I am just thankful to not be diabetic anymore!

@@Christinamo7 I guess I never pictured myself getting to 135lbs! I have this fear that even with this surgery I won't get under 200lbs even though I'm following doctors orders. It really is all in my mind!

That seems really low for your surgeons goal weight. I'm also 5'4, but 20 years older than you are. My surgeon gave me a goal of 150. I want to be at 145 because that is the highest weight to still be considered normal at 5'4. I'm 6 months out and the weight loss has really slowed down. I will be glad to hit the 150 at this point. I was 286, SW 268, and CW 192.

I just used my Doc's BMI calculator and a 25 BMI for someone 5'4 is 145. Depending on how long you have been overweight, your bones will automatically put you at the high end. 115 is a 20 BMI which is getting close to the underweight limit.

Edited by kaitlynm

That seems really low for your surgeons goal weight. I'm also 5'4, but 20 years older than you are. My surgeon gave me a goal of 150. I want to be at 145 because that is the highest weight to still be considered normal at 5'4. I'm 6 months out and the weight loss has really slowed down. I will be glad to hit the 150 at this point. I was 286, SW 268, and CW 192.

That's a great loss in 6 months! Congrats! I hope I do as well as you!

And I agree - 115 is an unreasonable expectation and too low.

I wouldn't even want to be 115! I would like to have some curves!

I think it's my fault I asked what the "ideal" weight is for someone my height. But that's not why he expects me to get to.

post-257611-14605032787613_thumb.jpg what 26lbs down did to my face! My skin looks so much healthier!

I had my sleeve surgery the same day. I am 5'6" and the day of my surgery I was 252lbs. At my 2wk f/u, I had lost 20lbs. My surgeon was very excited by that. But his overall goal for me do not match the goals for myself. He said medically I should be 140 lbs and I am not sure when the last time was that I was 140. The goal they have set for me with losing 60-70% of my excess weight is 186 lbs. I am not happy with that number. My personal goal is 165lbs. I just really thing that we all have to find some sort of middle ground between what the surgeon is telling us that we should weigh and what we feel is best for us. I still plan on busting my butt to lose as much as I can.

Sent from my SM-G925P using the BariatricPal App

Honest to God, you are overthinking this.

Set your own goal. And hit it.

And if it's not enough, lose some more.

And if it's too much, gain a little.

Really ... that's what everybody pretty much does.

I will offer one last thought -- you may be blown away by how much you DO lose. Just because you haven't weighed in the normal BMI range in decades or even ever doesn't mean you can't get to that weight after WLS.

Many people have been very surprised. I certainly was. :)

Don't get so caught up in the numbers game. Lose until you are comfortable. My surgeon gave me one number, I picked another one, but in the end my body decided what my new normal is and that's where I work on staying. And like @@VSGAnn2014 it was a pleasant surprise.

post-257611-14612042224921_thumb.jpg post-257611-14612042360338_thumb.jpg

1 months after surgery. Before 256 1 month post 226. I can see a little bit of a difference.

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1461204221.110088.jpgattachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1461204235.458314.jpg

1 months after surgery. Before 256 1 month post 226. I can see a little bit of a difference.

I just had almost the exact same weight lose in the last month. Date of surgery (3.16.16) I was 256 lbs and I am currently 222 lbs. I need to get some pics taken. Your progress is awesome. I am so happy for you!

Sent from my SM-G925P using the BariatricPal App