Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In August my band will be 10 years old...and here's my story. Hope it helps someone.

August 22, 2006..I remember that day like it was yesterday. I arrived at the hospital so happy so excited so full of joy and ready to prove my doctor WRONG. You see my pre-op weight was 416lbs and the surgeon wanted me to undergo a gastric bypass or a duodenal switch (which I don't think they do anymore) because my BMI was so high. But at that time I was only 20 years old no serious medical issues and my mother didn't want me to have either of those surgeries so lapband it was. Moreover, my bariatric doctor made it very clear that I wasn't going to lose any weight and in two years I'd be back for a gastric bypass.

Fast forward a few years and I was making tremendous progress. I'll never forget when I walked into Dr. Prachand's office in August 2008 for my two year post-op appt and I was down 138 lbs. And he looked at me with a smile and said "well Liqui you proved me wrong" that was the best feeling I ever felt. I was on a mission..I had a point to prove. Needless to say a few years went by and the weight slowly stop coming off...I was getting discouraged...I was losing my motivation and I had to switch doctors (I started a job and my health insurance changed).

In 2011, I started seeing a new bariatric doctor (who I'm stilling seeing today) and it was like starting all over again at the time I had gained some weight back and I was about 310. At my first appointment with Dr. Mihil he told me to tell him my journey to this point...although he had my huge file in front of him. I told him my story anyway and he said "so let's start campaign prove Dr. Prachand wrong again." I laughed through my tears of disappointment and agreed. He proceed to say "I don't know Prachand personally but I want you to succeed because he wrote everywhere in your file. Placed band despite better judgement." When I tell you that doctor was AGAINST the band he was AGAINST the band and if I'm not mistaken he doesn't place them anymore at all.

Moreover, my motivation started to come back I was checking in regular with the new doctor, losing weight, then BAM in 2013 I found out I was pregnant with TWINS. I was sooooo happy and excited yet sad because I knew I was going to gain weight. Well needless to say I gained more weight than I and the doctor expected. During my pregnancy I gained 73lbs :( I was mortified. I delivered my twins 4weeks early so I can't imagine how much more weight I would've gained if I carried them full term lol.

My babies were born completely healthy but I was left with almost 60lbs of weight to loss. I avoided the bariatric doctor for two years...I kept saying "I wanna loss the weight before I go see him." I hadn't seen him since I was 4 months pregnant and he removed all my Fluid from my band. Then one day a few months ago I realized that I wasn't going to lose the weight on my own (which is why I needed weight loss surgery in the first place). And I finally made in appointment to go see him. I felt like a dead man walking..

I weighed in at 359. Which I was okay with considering I was 374lbs post babies. So I had lost weight but I still wasn't where I started. I was sitting in the room so nervous I thought the doctor was going to chew me out for waiting two years to see him and gaining so much weigh. He came in the room, gave me a hug and asked to see the babies. I just started to cry. I felt like I let him down. But he reminded me that "you're doing this for YOU and now those babies not me."

That visit was such a breath of fresh air until he tried to give me a fill and to our surprise my port has flipped around. We played around with it for a while but no luck he couldn't get the Fluid in. Another doctor came in and tried to give me a fill as well... No luck :( So I left that day with no fill but gained my sense of hope back. I have an appointment in the 26th of this month. And we're going to try it again or discuss possibly going in for a revision surgery which I really don't want. But I know something has to be done because right now I have no fluid in my band and feel no restrictions.

I know everyone feels differently about the band and although weight wise I'm not were I want to be I'm still pretty happy with it because I haven't had as many complications like I hear about from the other WLS. And when I have fluid in my band it works of course with exercise and eating right. Moreover, I just really hope at my next appointment they can find the top of my port and give me a fill.

Has anyone had a lap band revision surgery?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow, what a fantastic story. Thank you so much for sharing it with the forum. Yes, having babies really throws a (joyful!) wrench in things, doesn't it?

I'm banded (15 months) and loving it. Sounds like it was really working well for you, too, (despite the stall after your incredible 138 pound loss!) and it sound like your new Doctor, Dr. Mihil, is supportive and kind. How lovely to have someone in your corner.

So your port flipped... not an overly big deal to correct laparoscopically, so I hear (if it comes to that). I'll bet you're excited to get the "wrinkle" ironed out, and to hop back on the weight loss train. Woot woot!

Keep us posted!

Thanks for sharing your story! People should not stop looking for dr's until they find one like Dr Mihil. They are not disappointed, they don't blame, they just do their best to help.

Good luck and keep us posted!

This story is incredible and I wish you much success. I am post lapband 8 years now and have kept off 95 of the 140 lbs I lost and am now doing WW for weekly accountability and have lost 25 lbs slowly and with moderate walking exercise since October. My size 24 pants were literally falling off this week and even jeans could be pulled down without unbuttoning or unzipping them so it's definitely time for new smaller pants. Keep hanging in there everyone. It's all about being healthy. At 60 I'm dramatically healthier than I was at age 50 so it isn't too late to try. God Bless!

Great story!!!! Thank you for sharing. I'm actually very pro band. I had one for 6 years and it was good- I'm not going to say great because it could be easy to cheat and gave me some serious Issues with stuff getting stuck. That being said I don't regret getting banded because I did lose. I got active. Then it broke. :( I was crying on the table and my doctor assured me it was no problem- he would remove band and create a sleeve. And he did!!! My insurance covered entire thing (I was shocked because I was a self pay in the Dominican Republic) and the whole process took less than 2 months. I had sleeve surgery on April 20th and feel fantastic. I feel like I got a do over and wow... I'm going to work this! Best of luck to whatever you chose. If you have questions about conversation surgery, just ask. :)

Btw I'm so impressed with your perseverance. Seriously, it's wonderful to hear from someone who refuses to give up. You have a wonderful reason though- twins!!!! Some people have all the luck... ;) ;)

Great story!!!! Thank you for sharing. I'm actually very pro band. I had one for 6 years and it was good- I'm not going to say great because it could be easy to cheat and gave me some serious Issues with stuff getting stuck. That being said I don't regret getting banded because I did lose. I got active. Then it broke. :( I was crying on the table and my doctor assured me it was no problem- he would remove band and create a sleeve. And he did!!! My insurance covered entire thing (I was shocked because I was a self pay in the Dominican Republic) and the whole process took less than 2 months. I had sleeve surgery on April 20th and feel fantastic. I feel like I got a do over and wow... I'm going to work this! Best of luck to whatever you chose. If you have questions about conversation surgery, just ask. :)

Hi Jaxmom, Thank you for replying to my post. So I went to the doctor last week to try to get a fill for the third time. Needless to say my doctor had no luck :( after having twins by band has flipped and now I have to consider getting it taken out and possibly getting the sleeve. I'm not oppose to it just nervous about doing surgery again. How has your healing process been? My surgeon had he prefers to do it in two separate procedures?

My recovery... Let's see... I'm a little over two weeks out. I just left the dog park and stopped to buy two big plants to put in this afternoon. I feel fantastic. My doctor sometimes does procedure in 2 parts as well but I PUSHED. He said I had a lot of scar tissue but managed the sleeve (it's a smaller sleeve than usual and I'm fine with that!!). I love love love having absolute control over things now- the band frustrated me. Honest to goodness it was such a simple process... I'm still in shock. But feel AWESOME. Let me know how it goes for you ok?