Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Height: 5'4"

Starting weight: 227lbs

Current Weight: 209

I thought I'd share my experience in hopes that it helps somebody.

I had to be at the hospital at 6:30am. I didn't have to wait very long. The nurse came, weighed me, and told me to change into the gown. I wasn't allowed any clothing under the gown. I had a super sweet nurse from Great Britain. She injected my hand with lidocaine so the IV needle didn't hurt going in. Also, she had to give me a shot in the stomach. It didn't hurt. After that the anesthesiology guy came in. He explained everything. Next my doctor came in. We chatted. I was wheeled into surgery and was sleeved at 8:30am.

I woke up and was in some pain. I was told my hiatial hernia was fixed. Meds were given. It took me a bit to recover from sedation. The first time I got up to pee sucked! That was really difficult. I rested a bit more before I attempted to walk. Second time I got up was much better. Pain is manageable with the meds. I'm not allowed to drink anything yet until my swallow test tomorrow. Honestly, I'm not hungry. The only other thing is my voice sounds terrible from the throat tube. That is about it so far. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Good luck everyone on your pre-op journey.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Momwith3minions

Height: 5'4"

Starting weight: 227lbs

Current Weight: 209

I thought I'd share my experience in hopes that it helps somebody.

I had to be at the hospital at 6:30am. I didn't have to wait very long. The nurse came, weighed me, and told me to change into the gown. I wasn't allowed any clothing under the gown. I had a super sweet nurse from Great Britain. She injected my hand with lidocaine so the IV needle didn't hurt going in. Also, she had to give me a shot in the stomach. It didn't hurt. After that the anesthesiology guy came in. He explained everything. Next my doctor came in. We chatted. I was wheeled into surgery and was sleeved at 8:30am.

I woke up and was in some pain. I was told my hiatial hernia was fixed. Meds were given. It took me a bit to recover from sedation. The first time I got up to pee sucked! That was really difficult. I rested a bit more before I attempted to walk. Second time I got up was much better. Pain is manageable with the meds. I'm not allowed to drink anything yet until my swallow test tomorrow. Honestly, I'm not hungry. The only other thing is my voice sounds terrible from the throat tube. That is about it so far. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Good luck everyone on your pre-op journey.

So happy for you... , get your rest and take care. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for sharing rest and be well. My big day is April 12th!

Update: I am about 18 hours from surgery now. My pain is up and down. I have pain in my shoulders and back of the neck. It's still really difficult to get up and down. Hopefully, this gets better soon.

Edited by Momwith3minions

Swallow test went ok. I'm in a lot of post op pain. I really hope this goes away by Monday. This part is not enjoyable. My abdomen area hurts. The surgeon went through my belly button and 4 other areas. The cut inside the belly button hurts. I hate to complain but I'm hurting. My bariatric team is flying to Ohio so I'm on my own until Tues when they return. Also my husband leaves me alone with all three kids starting monday. He has a business trip planned. I'm nervous this is too much.

Is suppose everyone's experience is different. For me, the pain had improved after the first week, but it took two weeks before I was comfortably getting in and out of bed - that was the only time when I really had significant discomfort. It wasn't just the wounds - the sutures are fine and strong and kind of cut at the tissue I think. I learned how to use the headboard and swing my legs over the side of the bed to avoid too much tension on the abdomen getting out, and I basically came to sit on the bed and drop my head onto the pillow to avoid too much tension on the abdomen getting in.

I didn't use my script for the pain medication at home, but if you're having significant pain issues, I would take advantage of that help. Is there any friend or family in the area that can come over on Monday to help out if you're not feeling well? Maybe you could even look into a home health aid to pay a visit?

Swallow test went ok. I'm in a lot of post op pain. I really hope this goes away by Monday. This part is not enjoyable. My abdomen area hurts. The surgeon went through my belly button and 4 other areas. The cut inside the belly button hurts. I hate to complain but I'm hurting. My bariatric team is flying to Ohio so I'm on my own until Tues when they return. Also my husband leaves me alone with all three kids starting monday. He has a business trip planned. I'm nervous this is too much.

Hope the pain goes away soon...hang in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

Just wanted to thank you for sharing your journey step-by-step. We are Close in age, I am 31, and my surgery is June 9. I enjoy reading these updates. I hope that your pain subsides soon and that you feel more confident about being home with the kids. I too will be home alone with my children after four days post op when my husband will return to work. I have two boys ages 7 and 10 so I am hopeful they are able to help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Update: got some good sleep last night. I woke up and the pain was WAY less. I walked a bit this morning and got 8 Oz of a Protein shake down. I'm currently sipping on my Water. Thankfully I learned quickly how to swing myself out of bed without too much stomach pressure.

Still having gas pains but it's way better today. Thankfully!

Update: got some good sleep last night. I woke up and the pain was WAY less. I walked a bit this morning and got 8 Oz of a Protein shake down. I'm currently sipping on my Water. Thankfully I learned quickly how to swing myself out of bed without too much stomach pressure.

Still having gas pains but it's way better today. Thankfully!

Great news! And..I hope you fart soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

Killian! Me too. Ha. I want to be able to take care of my kids again. This part is a small price to pay for a healthier life with them. I was holding off on meds to see if that helped me toot. Nope, it just made the pain get to about a 6/7. Took more meds. Am fine now. I've gotten down two Protein shakes and 8 Oz of Water. I need to sip sip sip more Water.

@@Momwith3minions Thank you for sharing! Welcome to the losers bench and may your recovery and journey be great!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for sharing your story. I am still in the beginning steps of getting ready for the surgery. Please keep us in touch with how you are doing. I hope you are feeling well soon

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App