Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Measuring progress by sizes

Ryan's mentioning of the holidays has me thinking about what my family will see when they convene here next week. Last year at this time I'd lost about 30 lbs but I was still just getting used to being banded and it was mostly Water weight. I don't think I'd lost any clothing sizes yet; at that time I was just getting in to new things that I'd bought prior to surgery but never worn because they hadn't quite fit (you know, the wishful-thinking wardrobe).

Now, another year out, I'm wearing a size that I don't think anyone in my family has ever seen me in. When I shop now I'm not looking for anything starting with a "2". That's a milestone of a magnitude I can barely get my brain around, since I started wearing size 22 jeans as a teenager and only went up from there. :banana

Another measure of my diminishing stature is that I finally had to take my engagement ring in to be sized down. The last time anyone bought me a ring it was size 8.5, and for the longest time my wedding/engagement bands were tight. Now they've been loose for so long I've actually damaged the setting, so as a birthday gift I'm having the stones re-set into a completely new band. It looks like it's going to be a size 7, or maybe 6 3/4!!!

The scale has not moved significantly for me in about three months now, but I am far from discouraged. There are new contours to my body and I've had to completely restock my wardrobe over the last year. And that process continues even though I'm not "losing weight." I'm sure losing FAT, and that's what really counts. :D

I was waiting to say this....But now that you mentioned it.

Happy Birthday!!

Congratulations :banana :banana :banana

I have suggested to have all my rings sized for Xmas. I haven't wore any rings since before summer.

Alex, your doing so good. Who cares if the scale has'nt moved you're moving down in sizes! I was going to tell you that most jewelry stores allow you to "trade up" when you buy stones from them. So, when my wedding ring starts to fall of I'm trading mine in for a new one! I'm on my second one right now and still love the ring style. LOL Some of my friends think I'm crazy for trading in my wedding ring like a used car but I do love change! And they're always coming out with new designs to fall in love with.

My point in bringing that up is this, if your still loosing weight why not buy a ring from a reputable dealer that has the trade in policy and gift yourself with a new ring as a reward when the old one falls off of you? Just a thought!

Lisa, that sounds cool and I might do it someday with a "right hand" ring or something. But the ring in question is an heirloom stone that was originally set in platinum in 1925. My grandmother gave it to me and I had it set in a plain Tiffany setting when I got engaged the first time. Then when my real husband proposed five years later, he added a sapphire-and-diamond enhancer, which I had welded to the Tiffany setting even though it really was a bad fit. The result was a mish-mash, albeit one with character, and I love it to pieces.

The new ring will be a completely new setting, with all five stones in one band for the first time. It should be stunning, and it will definitely feel like a new ring but using all my original stones. I can't wait to see it! :D

Alex, what a great message. Thank you for giving us an update. Congratulations on your huge success. I am just sure your family is going to be so happy and proud of you. You will all have so much to be thankful for. It is so exciting to hear about "having" to replace your wardrobe with much smaller sizes, that is too cool. Congrats also on your new ring. It sounds like it will be stunning. You go girl!!!!! And, Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Alex, first of all: Happy Birthday :banana And congratulations on your great progress! I can't wait 'till I don't need any 2s in my sizes (unless it's a 12). :D

You have been sounding so positive lately and I'm really happy for you. I was going to tell you, too, that you inspired me to start exercising more lately and I, too, am noticing that it has changed my body more dramatically than the scale reflects. Keep up the good work!

Nancy

Thanks, everyone. Nancy, there's no question that exercise is making the difference. Weight training is amazing in its effects, and I just re-upped with the personal training for another 10 weeks even though it's expensive. I highly recommend whatever resistance training can be incorporated into an exercise routine.

For anyone reading this who feels exercise isn't something they can do, believe me, I felt that way also. I didn't even start pretending until I was 6 months out, because at 300+ lbs it was just too painful to think about. But as the weight comes off it gets easier and easier, and I rearranged my schedule and even my life to make getting to the gym absolutely as easy and convenient as possible. I even moved my children to the Y for day camp over the summer so I could work out before picking them up.

Then in the fall the Y started this fitness challenge, which just means if you work out three times a week for three months you get a t-shirt. Last year they did the same thing and I just walked by the sign, not considering for one second that I'd be able to keep that sort of commitment. THIS year I signed right up and now there's no doubt at all that I'll be lining up to get my t-shirt, size XL. :D :D :D

I am NO jock, and I know this is a common refrain, but really, if I can do it ANYONE can.