Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 9 months post op what should my daily calorie intake be

I stick to a high Protein diet .Very little carbs and no sweets.I still have a protein shake.I don't measure calories.The a Paleo diet works for me.

At 9 months post-op, I increased my calorie intake (per NUT) to 1000-1200 calories per day. I found that at 1200 calories, I do not lose but seem to do ok at 1100, so I am trying to go back down a little. At 1100 calories, I am aiming for 40g fat, 80g carbs and 105g Protein.

@1200 Calories you should be losing 2 lbs a week. Exercise if you're not already. Walk a mile & build up to 3. Join a gym & lift weights to increase your metabolism. Eat lean meats. Fish & chicken & lots of vegetables. No bread, no sweets, no fried food, no fast food, no diet sodas. All of this you should have done 9 months ago. If you didn't start today. I've lost 170 lbs so far & have 60 more to go. I was on 12 different prescription meds. Now I'm on none. I was diabetic taking 2 shots of insulin a day. Now my diabetes has gone away & no more shots. My high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, neuropathy ALL IN CHECK. You can do this & achieve the results you want but it takes a serious effort to get good results. Laying on the couch with your old eating habits won't work. You've done the hard part now reap the rewards

Sent from my Z970 using the BariatricPal App

@kempermorris. If only weight loss were as simple as the math we have been told in the past. I have already lost 135 pounds and as I near my goal, loss has slowed regardless of intake. Appreciate your advice though.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

@kempermorris. If only weight loss were as simple as the math we have been told in the past. I have already lost 135 pounds and as I near my goal, loss has slowed regardless of intake. Appreciate your advice though.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

It is simple. If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. Congratulations on losing 135 lbs. That is awesome. But if you need to lose more diet is not the only solution. You need to exercise & eat right. You can reach your goal but I wouldn't restrict my diet to 1100 calories. Eat & drink Protein & increase your metabolism so it will burn fat. Its a struggle everyday with me. I eat 1200 calories a day & walk everyday & go to the gym 3 days a week. I'm still a works in progress but feel so much better. Check out My Fitness App on your phone to keep daily track of your calories & exercise. Good Luck to you. You got this. Just stay motivated & have a burning desire to succeed & you will.

Also multiply your current weight x 15. That's the total amount of calories you have to assume in a day to maintain your weight. 3500 calories to a pound. Reduce your intake 500/day= losing 1lb a week. Exercise burns calories as well. Its easy to lose weight at first. Now the hard part is here. My only point is don't try to achieve your goal by diet alone. More than likely won't work or you'll gain it back.

I had not been tracking, but just offered to help out in a nutrition class where I work, so I have tracked my food intake for the last three days; 576, 676 and 638. I am 5'3" and 130 (at goal). Good luck!

I stick to a high Protein diet .Very little carbs and no sweets.I still have a protein shake.I don't measure calories.The a Paleo diet works for me.

I just got a paleo cookbook, I'm going to try some recipes. After 1 year I finally start digesting some meets.

@@kempermorris - Interesting! She is a great doctor! So glad I found her! Glad you did too!

I had not been tracking, but just offered to help out in a nutrition class where I work, so I have tracked my food intake for the last three days; 576, 676 and 638. I am 5'3" and 130 (at goal). Good luck!

576, 676, 638 calories?! I can't believe you're still eating so little this far out from surgery and at goal? Is your doc/NUT ok with that?

Yes, my surgeon, PCP and nutritionist are all fine with it, as all of my Vitamin and mineral levels are on track and I am maintaining at this point. There are occasional days where I eat up to 800, but I tend to hover around 600.

Edited by Spiceyfrog

Until couple weeks ago I was eating around 800 cal, I'm now around 1200 . I'm underweight but all my Vitamins and blood work it's fine. I just saw my doctor on wed and he said I'm fine. My nutritionist wants me to upper my calories and gain weight. I'm fine I wish I had little more energies. Some days I push more food down but then is a struggle for hrs. I'm 1 year out. All my calories come from avocado, fage yogurt, nuts, Beans, occasionally crackers or pretzel sticks, no Pasta, rice, pizza, bread, it will fill me for the all day and it's hard on my stomach.

Edited by foodfighter78

This calories in / calories out formula is simply not valid for everyone.

It is well known that most people who have been very overweight need fewer calories to maintain a new lower weight than people who have always been at that lower weight.

I wish people would stop sending out those old formulas.

For example, my bariatric Dr is a bariatric patient himself. For him to maintain his loss, he eats 2 meals a day and eats less than his always slender wife.

What someone needs at 9 months depends on their own circumstances.

Those formulas have misled a lot of us. We all need to listen to our own doctors and our own bodies.

Also. 1100 calories might be right for one person, too little for another, and too much for yet another.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App