Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you with kids.

Hi everyone,

So my surgery is coming up on Tuesday and I am having it done in Mexico and we told our kids we were going on a "some what of a vacation". But I been thinking about what to tell them when I get home when they see I can't do all the things I did before, like pick up the baby or play with them they way I use to for a while. Specially my 10yr old she is way to smart for her own good, I don't want to tell them I am having WLS because I feel like they won't fully understand and I would just scare them with the whole surgery thing.

So for those you with young children how did you explain to them what was going on? My kids are 10, 8,4 and 9months.

Thank you all for the replays.

Hi everyone,

So my surgery is coming up on Tuesday and I am having it done in Mexico and we told our kids we were going on a "some what of a vacation". But I been thinking about what to tell them when I get home when they see I can't do all the things I did before, like pick up the baby or play with them they way I use to for a while. Specially my 10yr old she is way to smart for her own good, I don't want to tell them I am having WLS because I feel like they won't fully understand and I would just scare them with the whole surgery thing.

So for those you with young children how did you explain to them what was going on? My kids are 10, 8,4 and 9months.

Thank you all for the replays.

Kids are very intuitive!!! I have a 5 year old and I just explained to him that mommy was going to the hospital. I told him that the Dr was going to help mommy feel better (I was also suffering from back issues due to weight gain). He understood. I just kept it simple. I also told him that mommy would need him to be her hepler for a little while until I was not achy anymore. He loved that part!

MahoganySlim

I told them I was going away for a couple of days at work on a "conference" I will tell them I was working out at the gym and pulled my back as to why I maybe hunched and a lil pain. My daughter is slick and hopefully will buy it at 8 years old. My son is more oblivious to things and probably won't care. Good luck! I was banded before 4 years ago and not holding my son was the hardest part. They didn't know and don't remember now.

I'm just grateful my kids can get in and out of the car seats themselves. I can change them on the couch. My son is five and has mild Cerebral Palsy, so the lifting restrictions are going to be tough. It'll be a good opportunity for me to give him some more responsibility and challenge him to be more self sufficient.

My daughter is not quite two, so she won't understand. Buddy understands being in the hospital, so hopefully he'll understand without getting too worried.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My daughter is now 9 but when she was 7 my wife underwent 2 brain surgeries. I explained everything to my daughter in very simple and broad terms. She grasped exactly what was going on and then asked more detailed questions. S a resupt, she waskt afraid, knew what to expect when mommy came home. She was my little rock and i was her big rock.

We've never hidden anything from her and do not candy coat things. She is smart as a tack.

I'd explain it to the older two. Kinda explain it to the younger one. The baby.... well, they aren't going to remember a darn thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

Mine is tomorrow. My boys are 9 and 11 and I just told them the truth in broad terms. I had to explain to them because I plan on them helping me next week :) I think kids are more resilient than we give them credit for. The 9 year old is a bit worried, but he will be okay once he knows I'm okay.

My 4 year loves playing with surgery simulator apps for kids on my phone.so when I told her I was going to have surgery,she was more excited than anything.the main issue was the hospital stay away from them. (I have a 12 month old son too)

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

My daughter knew I was going to Mexico. When I got home and was not moving so fast, she said, "did something happen to you in mexico?" I told her I had stomach surgery, and once I did that, I would do better on my diet. She is 7, and now very proud of my 42 lb loss in 3 months.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

My daughter and her family live with us, and my granddaughter is 8. She is very sensitive and very smart, so I've been talking to her about what's coming up. I am looking at surgery in June or July, so she's currently encouraging me through the pre op weight loss. The other kids are 3 & 8 mos. so they aren't aware of anything. They are a big reason for me wanting to do this!

I've kept my kids completely in the loop. My 11 year old was a bit nervous about how I would change. She just doesn't want her dad to change at all. And even told my wife "I just don't understand why dad is doing this. I mean, he's not even fat." The best part about that, is she honestly believes that. That's how she sees me. We had a lot of talks pre-op about how I will be the same, and that at 11, she might change more over the next 6 months than I will!

Since the surgery (10 days ago) she has been great. She asks a lot of questions and takes a genuine interest in the process and my progress.

We are generally very open with our kids, and it has never backfired yet.

I told my 10 year old son. I figured when I wasn't eating he was going to notice and he would be asking. I didn't want to lie. So I told just him in private and let him ask as many questions as he wanted to. He's not talked about it a lot since but has been supportive.

My daughters are six and four. They wouldn't understand too much so I told them I was seeing the doctor to try to get healthier and that I was going to be eating a little differently for a while. That seemed to work for them.

Had surgery yesterday and plan to tell them a little more when I get home so they don't jump on me or expect to get picked up.

Kids are usually very compassionate and don't want to see anyone in pain. Knowing that I have some cuts on my stomach they will be careful, at least I hope.

I think all kids are different and you should follow your gut on what you feel is appropriate for your kids based on their intellectual and mental capacities.

Good luck to you!

My youngest is 10 and he's autistic. I told him I was having surgery to help me get healthy and it was done on my belly