Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry already! Is this normal?

If you were taking narcotics still after coming home, it makes it harder for your intestines to wake up. A lot of the grumbling and noises you hear are you intestines.

You really shouldn't be feeling physically hungry at this point, it is something to discuss with your Dr at your follow up appointments.

I haven't used pain meds in 5 days. I will talk to my Dr at post op appt

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

7 days post-op and also hungry. This isn't head hunger, I know the difference. Head hunger I can actually ignore, real hunger drags me out of bed at 3am for a yogurt just to stop the pain so I can sleep.

I mentioned the hunger to the bariatric nurse when she called to check on me. She said the liquid phase is the worst and once I move to pureed foods, I will start feeling more satisfied. Maybe true but doesn't alleviate the disappointment we feel from being hungry after this operation when we are told that we won't be.

On the plus side I have already dropped 6.5 pounds on top of the 10 pounds(!) of Water weight I gained in the hospital. I have never seen the scale drop so fast. :)

Now to survive another week of liquids....

7 days post-op and also hungry. This isn't head hunger, I know the difference. Head hunger I can actually ignore, real hunger drags me out of bed at 3am for a yogurt just to stop the pain so I can sleep.

I mentioned the hunger to the bariatric nurse when she called to check on me. She said the liquid phase is the worst and once I move to pureed foods, I will start feeling more satisfied. Maybe true but doesn't alleviate the disappointment we feel from being hungry after this operation when we are told that we won't be.

On the plus side I have already dropped 6.5 pounds on top of the 10 pounds(!) of Water weight I gained in the hospital. I have never seen the scale drop so fast. :)

Now to survive another week of liquids....

We have the strength the get through this. I mind is a powerful thing. Wishing you the best. pureed food is just around the corner. Lol

I am two weeks post op and I was hungry for ANYTHING that wasn't clear liquid. Once you start on mushy food the cravings should subside quite a bit. It seems I'm one of those people who can eat anything after VSG with no bad affects. I've had meatloaf, baked chicken, seafood salad, etc and it was all GREAT! Just have to be sure to keep it around a half cup. I found out how important it is to measure ur food until you can judge how much your portion should be. It is very easy to eat too large portions.

Also, you have been used to getting a lot of your Water from your food. Sometimes you think you are hungry when actually you are dehydrated. Drink up!

I am right there with you sister! I had surgery 3/18. I felt significant pain when I first woke up so I tried to sleep as much as humanly possible. This was at the expense of hydrating. I am almost a week out and notice a substantial drop-off in hunger pangs when I force myself to drink Water.

The only way I've been able to stay on track is with a Water app. So far I've tried hydrocoach and aqualert. Personally I like aqualert best for simplicity. But these apps are free and I need all the reminders I can get for that ounce of water every 15 minutes! Also upping my Protein intake has helped reduce food cravings.

Good luck!

had it two days ago. my stomach burns until I put broth or something into it, is this normal ? italways burned when I got up before I ate before surgery. are hunger pains burning sensations.

Edited by hoot temple

had it two days ago. my stomach burns until I put broth or something into it, is this normal ? italways burned when I got up before I ate before surgery. are hunger pains burning sensations.

Might be the acid. Are you on meds for that like prilosec

Hmmm. I will try some yogurt. And the Isopure Green Tea sounds pretty good for now and maintenance. I just want to know why I'm so hungry. My tummy won't stop growling.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am 4 months out and have been hungry with a growling stomach since the 2nd week. I went to a support meeting and found out that 2 people that had the sleeve done around the same time as me have very little hunger, My MD told me to find out if my surgeon removed the hunger hormone from me and if not she will prescribe a diet pill to remove the hunger.

I am freaked out about that cause what was the point of surgery....I should not need to take a pill to curb my hunger which by the way is all the time.

Edited by lisalisa1212

Me too. I was having buyers remorse the other day about having the surgery. What my head was playing games with me. I'm doing better. Happy I did it

@@lisalisa1212 Gherlin is produced in the larger lower part of your stomach, if the stomach is removed, the area that produces that hormone is gone. Even in the absence of Gherlin, you can still have head hunger.

http://drvamar.blogspot.com/2014/08/sleeve-vs-bypass-vs-ghrelin.html

Head hunger is not the same as real physical hunger.

https://youtu.be/7llL1lE6Mz8?t=1m21s

Also helps to mentally work to a place in your mind that it is okay to be hungry or not full. Feeling full is an emotional crutch for a lot of people that is removed once they have surgery and they can't cope without it.