Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery was supposed to be today. After completing 2 weeks liquid pre-op and feeling prepared mentally, physically and spending hours preparing to miss work for 2 weeks, I got a call yesterday that my surgeon is sick and needed to cancel. Now, I'm no dummy....I know I don't want a sick surgeon. But today I'm feeling sorry for myself. I'm rescheduled for 3/29. I can be off liquids for a week and then back on. I know this is just a Detour in my journey, but it was a huge disappointment .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgery was supposed to be today. After completing 2 weeks liquid pre-op and feeling prepared mentally, physically and spending hours preparing to miss work for 2 weeks, I got a call yesterday that my surgeon is sick and needed to cancel. Now, I'm no dummy....I know I don't want a sick surgeon. But today I'm feeling sorry for myself. I'm rescheduled for 3/29. I can be off liquids for a week and then back on. I know this is just a Detour in my journey, but it was a huge disappointment .

I'm sorry this happened but think of the weight you lost over the last two weeks! You are that much more prepared for 3/29! It will be here before you know it and this will be a memory you share with other "newbies" someday. Keep thinking about the summer and how awesome you will look and feel! Good luck!

Edited by Sunshine8946

I was one week into my two week pre-surgery fast and my doctor cancelled my surgery indefinitely. He "claimed" that he had some issue with another bariatric surgeon that he had to work out before he could do any more surgeries. I was devastated. When I got home, I Googled him and saw his mug shot on line. Turns out he was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and THAT is what he was dealing with. I had to find another surgeon and go through the whole process again. Three months later I finally had the surgery done by a really good doctor. Glad I dodged the bullet of having a crazy man do my surgery.

I'm SO sorry. That's very disappointing.

I was late to one of my nutrition classes by 10 minutes and they wouldn't allow me to go in. I had to wait a whole month longer to sign up and take it again, which meant I couldn't have surgery for another month. I was devastated and cried my eyes out, and was very mad at my husband (he was late getting home and we only have one car- hence why I was late to this mandatory appointment). I got over it pretty quickly, and I had my surgery in December 2015. I'm down over 50 pounds and I'm feeling great. I know how hard these set backs can be, but they're only set backs. You're still going to have surgery, so thank God for that!

I'm so sorry. That would have to be so disappointing---we count down the days, never thinking the surgeon might have to change the date. How dare he?! LOL I hope you'll continue to keep your chin up and realize...when you look back...that you were able to have your surgery and that a few days weren't as big a deal as you're thinking they are now. Good luck!

Definitely a huge bummer but I am happy that you are able to get in again relatively soon. My wife had the opposite happen. Two days before surgery she was diagnosed with bronchitis, sinus infection, and laryngitis. Took another couple of weeks to kick it and was back for surgery rather quickly. I wish you the best on your new surgery date.

I was one week into my two week pre-surgery fast and my doctor cancelled my surgery indefinitely. He "claimed" that he had some issue with another bariatric surgeon that he had to work out before he could do any more surgeries. I was devastated. When I got home, I Googled him and saw his mug shot on line. Turns out he was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and THAT is what he was dealing with. I had to find another surgeon and go through the whole process again. Three months later I finally had the surgery done by a really good doctor. Glad I dodged the bullet of having a crazy man do my surgery.

Wow! That's an incredible story! Glad it all worked out for you in the end :)

@@mollykaye I can only imagine how devastated you must be--I'm at the beginning of this process and can barely stand the wait for appointments...so I can't imagine how heart broken you must feel to have your surgery postponed.

But it's only a speedbump on your road to a healthier you!! Good Luck in your journey :)

Almost my story- except my doc rescheduled me because he didn't want me traveling a week after surgery. We were headed to Texas from Chicago by car. Soooo. I had completed 2 of my 3 week pre op liquid diet by then. I was told that I could go off it while on my trip. Then o get home to find a message from my nurse that I needed to go back on liquids for two weeks prior to new surgical date. That was last week. My surgery is in two days- which gives me exactly 1 week of a liquid diet and now I fear he will reschedule me again. I swear I will tell him to just do an open RNY and be done with it. Four weeks of liquid diet when others with higher bmi's have a lap procedure and no preop diet just seems unfair.

And yes. I'm whining lol. Sorry[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Almost my story- except my doc rescheduled me because he didn't want me traveling a week after surgery. We were headed to Texas from Chicago by car. Soooo. I had completed 2 of my 3 week pre op liquid diet by then. I was told that I could go off it while on my trip. Then o get home to find a message from my nurse that I needed to go back on liquids for two weeks prior to new surgical date. That was last week. My surgery is in two days- which gives me exactly 1 week of a liquid diet and now I fear he will reschedule me again. I swear I will tell him to just do an open RNY and be done with it. Four weeks of liquid diet when others with higher bmi's have a lap procedure and no preop diet just seems unfair.

And yes. I'm whining lol. Sorry

Whine away!!!! UGH!!! I can totally relate! The nurse told me I could go off liquid diet and restart liquids 5 days before surgery. I'm starting liquids tomorrow which will be one week. I'd rather err on the side of caution! Best wishes for a successful surgery and quick recovery!

This surgery is major.You can wait a few days...you want your surgeon up and healthy....for sure.

I'd be devastated!!! Sending you hugs <3

I'd be devastated!!! Sending you hugs <3

Thanks! I've had my surgery now....just last week. It went great! Everything worked out just fine : )

Congrats! When was it?