Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to loose more than GW

Hey guys , I was just wondering if anyone is scared to lose more than their goal weight ? I'm few days post op and I have a long way until I reach my GW but I was just wondering. I don't wanna be too thin , everyone keep scaring me that I won't look good smaller (not that I care what people think) but honestly I don't want to be too thin?

too early to think about this ??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by mel2k16

I was 350 July last year PRE-OP.

I'm now 196-199 give or take.

I'm a 6'1" 40 year old male.

My original "GW" was 250 (it was a number I wanted to see again)

My next "GW" was 220 (a number I weighed when entering Freshman year of High School)

My next "GW" was to drop below 200 (accomplished and holding below currently)

Now I say all this because a "GW" can be a moving target if you ask me. I've hit 3 of my personal goal markers and when my surgeon and his staff ask me where I'd like to be I respond quite honestly with, "on a beach."

I'm happy with where I'm at.

BMI can use some work I suppose and I'll probably settle in around 170-185 in the end with summer coming around and thus the ability to get out and walk daily.

Don't sweat the numbers.

Sweat the Protein and the Water - count those numbers!

Don't eat sugar don't eat bread and enriched flour products.

And yup - too early to be worrying about it :-)

The goal weight is an artificial number. During the weight loss phase you will lose weight. Eventually the weight loss will slow down and then come to a stop. You will slide into the maintenance phase. To some degree, your body will determine where your weight should be provided you stick with the requirements of the program.

I have 5 people in my family that have had bypass 1 the band and 1 the sleeve. Not one of them are too skinny. In fact they all stopped losing and have to watch what they eat cause they've gained. You will bottom off then in a year or so gain some back. James is right. Your body knows when to stop. It's a percentage not an exact number. You'll be ok. I'm due to have my surgery in April! I only have 75 to lose. I asked the same question lol. I think everyone thinks this way!

Hey guys , I was just wondering if anyone is scared to lose more than their goal weight ? I'm few days post op and I have a long way until I reach my GW but I was just wondering. I don't wanna be too thin , everyone keep scaring me that I won't look good smaller (not that I care what people think) but honestly I don't want to be too thin?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hahaha yes....too early. You have many other things to concentrate on - only being a few days post-op.

Worry about that if or when it happens, k!

Good luck on your wl journey!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

I was 350 July last year PRE-OP.

I'm now 196-199 give or take.

I'm a 6'1" 40 year old male.

My original "GW" was 250 (it was a number I wanted to see again)

My next "GW" was 220 (a number I weighed when entering Freshman year of High School)

My next "GW" was to drop below 200 (accomplished and holding below currently)

Now I say all this because a "GW" can be a moving target if you ask me. I've hit 3 of my personal goal markers and when my surgeon and his staff ask me where I'd like to be I respond quite honestly with, "on a beach."

I'm happy with where I'm at.

BMI can use some work I suppose and I'll probably settle in around 170-185 in the end with summer coming around and thus the ability to get out and walk daily.

Don't sweat the numbers.

Sweat the Protein and the Water - count those numbers!

Don't eat sugar don't eat bread and enriched flour products.

And yup - too early to be worrying about it :-)

Good for you man. My numbers are just like yours. I hope I can achieve onderland too.

Is that serious? If so, no, you should have started worrying three days ago.

C'mon. You'll know where you want to be when you feel well and are pleased with your appearance. Goals, like the tides, change. A weight goal is a guideline, not a grail.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I am at goal and that thought has never crossed my mind.

I was worried about this, too, but my PCP had a really good answer -- the biggest problem they see long term with wls patients is weight regain. The number of people who actually lose too much (and can't just up their calories a little to hit a good maintenance weight) is very rare.