Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI is it possible

Hi

Im considering the process of a gastric sleve as I don't want to get to the point where I am very overweight / obese as opposed to where I am right now which is just overweight

Ive never successfully lost any weight unless I do extensive week / 2 week bootcamps where I lost weight but within six months it back on. So I do another Bootcamp and lose weight and it's a vicious cycle

Since hurting my back ive not been able to excercise so the weight has gone on and im the heaviest I have ever been in my life

I know that within 6 month I will have our on another stone and so on till im really really overweight

So im seeing a sleave as a preventive measure to help me lose weight / maintain it

I know it seems drastic but I have been struggling with my weight for over 20 years and after reasearching I think it's probably the way forward for myself

So will surgeons in Mexico take someone who otherwise healthy with a low BMI of around 30 :/31

I probably only have 60 lbs to lose but I don't want to get heavier and have to lose 100 pounds it's seems stupid to me to get morw overweight in order to lose weight

Im from the UK so they wont consider me in the UK but im not bothered about going abroad for surgery as long as I do my reasearch

Has anyone had a sleave for similar reasons or with a low BMI

Thanks

Most surgeons in Mexico will do VSG on a lower BMI patient. As long are at least overweight and have a history of trying and failing to lose weight. They don't have nearly the high BMI requirements that insurance companies or the NHS would, because those organizations don't like to shell out money unless it's medically necessary. But the surgeons themselves will happily TAKE your money if you are self-pay.

My BMI was closer to 40 when I went to Mexico for my VSG, but I wished I had done it sooner, before I got UP to that weight. If you can spare yourself getting to that point, all the better!

Thank you

That's what im thinking although on the scales im heavy

I don't actually look overweight I carry it pretty well and I had a mini Tummy Tuck many years ago due to a c- section so my stomach is pretty flat but im still around 31 BMI and probably at least 3 stone overweight possibly 4 stone if I really wanted to slim down

I just want to not be able to eat as much if that makes sense and when I lose the weight to maintain it

And like you said I don't want to wait till this time next year and I will be 2 stone heavier and need to lose even more weight I would rather do it now while my weight isn't as high

I always think of my sleeve as Weight Maintenance Surgery, as opposed to Weight Loss Surgery. I could and did lose the weight on my own MANY MANY times. It was the maintenance that was the problem for me. So I can completely sympathize with wanting to get it now instead of later, when you would have even more weight to lose to get down to where you want to maintain.

You have hit the nail on the head

While I struggle to lose weight I have lost it in the past by doing intensive residential milatry style bootcamps. Ie 800 - 1000 calories a day and working out 8 -10 hours

Ive done various ones from 1 weeks to 4 weeks and I don't have a problem losing weight and excercising and I really enjoy them but when Im back home you can't maintain that sort of excercise / lifestyle so even sticking to the 1000 calories a day the weight comes back on and im starving

And I only have to go on a bloody holiday and two weeks later is half stone or so which wont go till the next bootcamp

I don't want to get any bigger / I want to stop it while I can and while I feel fit and healthy

If you live in the UK you don't need to go as far as Mexico with a low BMI. I had mine done in Belgium with a BMI of 35.9. Google ECFS and you can get all the info on who I went through for my surgery. Good luck.

It's definitely worth a try.

Hi, my bmi was 33 when I was sleeved. Very similar story to you.. I worked really hard to still be fat.. Lol..

I was very fit, doing crossfit prior to surgery but couldn't keep my weight off with all the effort! I got a back injury and gained 5kg in 2months.. Easy!

So I had the sleeve, my weight loss is very slow but steady. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone of a low bmi who is genuinely working hard but getting nowhere..

Hi, my bmi was 33 when I was sleeved. Very similar story to you.. I worked really hard to still be fat.. Lol..

I was very fit, doing crossfit prior to surgery but couldn't keep my weight off with all the effort! I got a back injury and gained 5kg in 2months.. Easy!

So I had the sleeve, my weight loss is very slow but steady. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone of a low bmi who is genuinely working hard but getting nowhere..

I will have to remember that - "working very hard to be fat "

I also had a back injury and I've put on loads of weight that I know from experience I won't lose

Hi there. Your original post sounds like me last year. I had a bmi of 30, I was doing everything I could to lose the weight with no success.

Today marks 8 months since my sleeve surgery in Mexico. I've lost 50 lbs. My bmi is now 21. I've gone from obese to overweight to normal.

I'd say do the surgery. It was the best decision I've made. I'm so happy and healthy and living life to the fullest. The surgery has less risk of complications and an easier recovery for those of us with lower bmis. The day after surgery, I felt great and the day after that I was on the beach & it didn't even feel like I'd had surgery!

It's your own decision but I just wanted to let you know I can completely relate to your story. Wishing you the best!

Take care!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all so much for your replys

Im feeling much more confident now that I've heard from others that have been in the same position

It seems crazy that where I live you need to have such a high BMI and to very overweight as well

But if they were to offer it to paying clients a lot of ill health in the future could be avoided . Im sure that the health benefits alone would be worth it . I just don't want to get to the point of being that overweight and then feel that I really need to have one

I know for sure that unless I do another residential B/C for at least 2 weeks I won't actually lose the weight.

And as a Residential BC cost 1000 a week and a sleave £4000 it's seems stupid not to go this route and fix it permanently

This post was just what I needed. I started at a BMI of 40 last Oct to now a BMI of 29 in pursuit of getting the sleeve. I saw a dietician, tracked my intake, and exercised. .. I was wandering if pursuing it being only 25lbs from a normal BMI was worth it. I battle my hunger daily and hope this will be the tool I need to finish up my remaining loss and keep it off as regaining it is my biggest fear.

Edited by Stacey78

I don't blame you

I have been in touch with several clinics by email both in Europe & Mexico

Mexico the lowest is 28

Europe the lowest seems to be 30

Good luck