Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did everyone have a Pre-op diet?

My Doc just wanted high Protein and low carb for 5 days before surgery and my surgery went perfect. His partner however requires his patients to do a week liquid diet. So even surgeons in the same office have different requirements.

My doctor had me start a week of pre op diet.. protien shakes, lean meat and vegetables.. then pure liquids 2 days before. The hospital called me to preregister and told me 3 days of liquids..anyways i completed my first day of only protien shakes, broth and sugar free popsicles..my surgery is on March 16....so 2 more days hopefully they go fast

I had my surgery on March 10th. I had to do a 14 day liquid diet not to exceed 900 calories a day. I lost 16.5 pounds before my surgery. Everything went great, home in 2 days and not needing any pain meds at home.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doctor had me start a week of pre op diet.. protien shakes, lean meat and vegetables.. then pure liquids 2 days before. The hospital called me to preregister and told me 3 days of liquids..anyways i completed my first day of only protien shakes, broth and sugar free popsicles..my surgery is on March 16....so 2 more days hopefully they go fast

My surgery is on the 16th too.. good luck to you☺☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon did not recommend a diet so I personally am not doing one. People keep saying it is to shrink the liver but studies show it takes a minimum of 8weeks on a very strict diet to see what amounts to a statistically insignificant difference in fatty liver disease so I doubt that is the real reason programs recommend it. I actually had a very interesting talk about this with a fellow member getting it done in March and her explanation was she wanted to "get her head in the game" which I think is the most valid reason I have heard to start it. There does not seem to be any large scale studies published that confirm it is beneficial but there are also no studies that say it hurts either so it so really is a personal preference thing. If you strongly feel like it would help I would ask your program/NUT for recommendations.

coco

Edited by coco86

Has anyone experienced nausea/vomiting on the liquid diet?

I am on day 3 of a 10-day liquid diet and I'm nauseous and vomiting. I contacted the nutritionist that I am working with and she explained that it may be a sensitivity to sugar substitutes.

Has anyone experienced nausea/vomiting on the liquid diet?

I am on day 3 of a 10-day liquid diet and I'm nauseous and vomiting. I contacted the nutritionist that I am working with and she explained that it may be a sensitivity to sugar substitutes.

It common to have some nausea and headaches as your body enters ketosis, which usually happens between days 2 and 4. Vomiting does seem a bit extreme though.

My doctor didn't require but I did....I wanted my liver as small as possible..I had zero problems!

My ultrasound and CT scan showed that I had an enlarged liver and Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.

I had to do a three month diet of 1200 low carb calories with 60 grams of lean Protein, 64 oz Water, unlimited non-starchy veggies, 1 serving of fruit per day.

Then I had to do ten days of liquid diet with 5 small Protein shakes per day and unlimited Water or non-caloric beverages.

I lost 22 pounds pre-op.

When talking with my dietitian, I mentioned the liquid diet because I assumed that's what I would have to do, and she told me it would be a 1000 calorie/day for 2 weeks leading up to the surgery. I have my pre-op and NUT class next week where I will get all the details and hopefully some good tips to stay at the 1k mark because it seems really challenging right now.

Wow, thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback very much. I had some broth this afternoon and felt ok. I guess I do have a sensitivity to sweeteners. My surgery is next week, 3/23. It can't come soon enough.

My surgery is on the 16th too.. good luck to you☺☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using the BariatricPal App

Are you ready and excited for tomorrow?

Good luck to you too...

Best of luck with your surgeries, KristyVSG and narfd!