Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did everyone have a Pre-op diet?

Hi guys!

So, I am new here. I'm waiting for my 1st consult visit, and getting all my letters and evaluations in order.

Anyhow, I was wondering... did everyone have a Pre-op diet before getting the gastric sleeve? If so, what types of thing did you have to do?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

I'm on my pre-op diet now...not everyone has to do it, it depends on your doctor. Pre-op diets vary from Doctor to doctor. Mine is a 14 day liquid diet, while others may be 3-4 shakes per day and one low carb meal. A friend of mine was sleeved last year and didn't have a pre-op diet at all.

It seems to be about 50/50 in terms of who has a pre-op diet and who doesn't. Also, the pre-op diets for different surgeons vary widely. Some people just doe high protein/low carb. Some people have to do liquids only. Some people have to do it for 2+ weeks. Some only for a few days. It's all just completely dependent on your surgeon's program.

I am Belgian and had my operation in my home country, I asked the surgeon if I had to do a pre-op diet and he told me it has no use to do so except maybe already getting used to eat smaller quantities. The operation went well and everything is fine now!

Is it supposed to prep your body/stomach for after surgery? Like smoother recovery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

The purpose is to shrink your liver, as they assume it's likely enlarged and fatty if you are morbidly obese. The goal is to shrink the liver so that it decreases the risk of cracking or otherwise damaging it when they move it out of the way using the retractor.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

When you are laying on your back, your liver rests on top of your stomach. The pre-op diet is meant to deplete your liver's glycogen stores, which reduces it's physical size, making it easier to prop up out of the way during the operation. If your liver is too large, it can be difficult for the surgeon to access your stomach and there is a greater risk of knicking or damaging the liver by accident.

Two weeks of pre-op diet. Two Meal Replacement shakes, plus a little fruit, unlimited veggies and one modest balanced meal daily - about 1200 calories daily for men. Oh yeah, and taper off caffeine.

Two weeks of pre-op diet. Two Meal Replacement shakes, plus a little fruit, unlimited veggies and one modest balanced meal daily - about 1200 calories daily for men. Oh yeah, and taper off caffeine.

This is what mine will be like, except I have a 1,000 calorie limit.

I was eating high Protein low carb 6 months before surgery but no liquid diet. I ate up until midnight the night before surgery with no liver issues. Just like everyone said, every surgeon is different! Mentally prepare yourself either way.

My Dr only had me do a 24 hour liquid diet the day before, but I started replacing 2 meals a day with Protein Shakes, a week before surgery to prepare myself a little bit for post op liquid meals!

My surgeon doesn't require a pre-op diet, which makes me slightly nervous since so many others do it. I'm wondering if I should do one anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had 2 weeks of a pre op diet.

Two meals a day replaced with a Protein Drink. One meal a day consisting of 3oz of lean Protein, 1 cup of non starchy vegetables & a small green salad with a tiny amount of a low fat Salad Dressing.< /p>

It honestly wasn't so bad. When you consider that you will be making a large change in the way you eat after surgery, it's kind of a stepping stone for your post op diet.

Plus if there's anything I can do to make my surgery safer

(less risk of liver damage) I would do it.

My surgeon has me on 2 shakes per day and 4 oz. of meat with 2-3 tsp. Of non starchy vegetables. I had to beg for the 3rd teaspoon ????. Yes I am hungry!

Edited by rubia72