Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My review of my experience with Bariatric Pal MX and Dr Carlos Altamirano Cano.

Well here I am day 2 post op (I was sleeved Friday 3/4). amd since I'm relaxing by the pool right now I figure I may as well post a review, right?

Let me first tell you a bit about me. I'm a single mom, 33 years old and live in the Washington DC area. I'm 5'5 and my highest weight was 273 lbs. Over the last year I'd worked to lose some weight so I started my pre--op diet at 250. At the end of my pre-op diet, I weighed in at the Guadalajara Hospital at 235, so not too bad.

Day 1- Surgery Day March 4th. I caught a 8:48 am flight out of Dulles Airport directly to San Diego. Of course, it's snowing in Washington DC, but my flight made it out and on time, so I was happy. When I got off the plane, I had a phone call from the Bariatric Pal driver Memo, who was ready to pick me up. I made my way out of the airport, and found a "letter" outside and told him where I was. He found me, and off we went. I brought my dad with me as a companion, so we loaded up the car, and off to Guadalajara Hospital we go. Memo was great, we didn't get stopped by border patrol, so we made it to the hospital in about 30 to 40 min, if I were to guesstimate.

Inside the hospital I was greeted by Little Robert. He will become your best friend. I'm not even kidding.he's the best. Little Robert helped me with registration. Just like a hospital in the US, you have to check in. Unlike hospitals in the US, the forms and most of the people at Guadalajara hospital speak Spanish. I don't speak any spanish. Not even a little bit. So Robert was there and helped me translate what the paperwork said, and communicate with the hospital staff. So I get all checked in, got my TV remote (yeah, you get that at check in), and I went to the seating area to be lead to my room. We make it to the room (which was very comfortable, btw... had a bed, a bathroom and shower, a large tv, and a place for your companion to sleep). I get to strip and put on my ultra cool hospital gown, and then it's IV time. I had told Robert I was horrified of needles, because I am, so he asked the phebotomists to stick me only with the iV and draw blood from there. It was as great as getting a needle in your hand could be. After getting my IV and blood drawn, I got my blood pressure taken (I have white coat syndrome...in any drs office my blood pressure skyrockets, and a little "cocktail" to take the edge off, Dr. T came in to go over my medical history. At the same time, I got my EKG.

While we were waiting on bloodwork, Dr A came in and chatted with me, and let me tell you- he's sooo personable and great. I can't sing of his praises any more. I was completely comfortable placing my life in his hands. Dr A went to get ready for me in the OR, and I was wheeled down there as well. I met Dr Ag the anesthesiaologiest (I spelled that way wrong), and she's wonderful as well. I switched beds over to the operating room bed, chatted with Dr. A and Dr Ag. Dr A held my hand, and told me everything was going to be just great, I remember saying, yes, I know it will be, and then I woke up in recovery. I have no recollection of being in recovery at all. I just remember being wheeled back to my room. I was pretty groggy that night, and was slightly uncomfortable from the CO2 gas that had settled in my shoulders. I just walked and walked and then took naps and walked some more. My dad and Robert went out for dinner, and I think they had a great time. Then I went to sleep for a while.

Day 2: A pretty uneventful day at the hospital. The staff keept it very very clean. While the majority didn't speak english, they went out of their way to communicate with me. Even translating on their phone what they wanted to say. They came in every so often to give me antibiotics and pain killers. I met Paola the Bariatric Pal nutritionist, and we went over the next steps with my diet. She's very sweet and I look forward to working with her. Robert and my dad went out on the town again and got some food. I took a nap. Did more walking, etc. Again, a very uneventful day spent healing. Dr A went on vacation, so he sent his colleague, who also helped with my surgery in to check on me. All was well, and he said I was looking good.

Day 3: Checkout of Hospital Day. In the morning, the nurse came in and let me take a shower. I took off my bandages and checked out my new battle scars. Not so bad. I was fortunate and Dr A only had to make 4 incisions. So shower was great, Robert came and helped me check out of the hospital, as you have to sign some paperwork to get out. He also helped explain my perscriptions to me, as they were written in spanish too. Got all that figured out, and Stacy showed up to drive me to the hotel. The recovery houses were full, so I'm at the Holiday Inn. Bill Yanez came by to say hi as well. I swear, everyone in Bariatric Pal is like family. Because I'm an active member in the Facebook groups, it's like I already knew everyone, and I was visiting friends. I truely adore the BP MX team. This hotel is great. I've spent the last several hours drinking a bottled Water at the pool, sitting and enjoying the weather. Tomorrow, Stacy is taking me back to the airport. :)

Overall, I'm so happy with my decision to come to Mexico. I know that it can be a somewhat scary choice to leave our own country and go have surgery somewhere else. I get it. But I have no regrets at all, everything has been smooth sailing, and I am thrilled. I highly recommend Dr A, and of course the BP MX team as well.

If anyone has any questions, I'll gladly assist in answering them :) :)

Great review Lin! Hope you are having an easy recovery!