Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Y'all Think- IV

I am wondering what some of you may think about the Fat Acceptance movement along with the FA, fat admirer, subculture. Were once a part of the the movement? If so what made you decide to get sleeved? Were you ever in a FA type relationship? For myself, I have not participated in either. I suppose the one aspect of the Fat Acceptance movement that I would agree with that is that people should not be mistreated or discriminated against because of their size. I am not sure about the rest. Although I have been sleeved I still affirm that beauty comes in all sizes and shapes. If you share your thoughts I will read them.

I was never part of that movement or culture. I don't believe it is possible to be obese and healthy for an extended period of time. It will catch up with you eventually.

That said, I don't believe in treating people badly, shaming them, stereotyping them, or discriminating against them based on body size or composition. I think that is terrible behavior.

I also don't think that a health care professional telling an obese person that they need to lose weight is "shaming" -- but everyone else needs to STFU.

I agree. I think we take fat shaming too far. Someone giving guidance, especially someone paid to do so, is not try to make a person feel ashamed. Having said that, the manner in which that information is shared can be done with respect.

I was never part of that movement or culture. I don't believe it is possible to be obese and healthy for an extended period of time. It will catch up with you eventually.

That said, I don't believe in treating people badly, shaming them, stereotyping them, or discriminating against them based on body size or composition. I think that is terrible behavior.

I also don't think that a health care professional telling an obese person that they need to lose weight is "shaming" -- but everyone else needs to STFU.

I totally agree with you guys. Why would I be part of a movement that has made me feel so horrible for the majority of my life?

I'll be honest, when I see that show, my big fat fabulous life, I feel sorry for that girl because I think she's trying so hard to get everyone to agree with her and to try and convince people you can be healthy at 400lbs. It's just not true! At my highest, I weighed 345lbs and was completely miserable...I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything in case I didn't fit in chairs, couldn't do up the seatbelt in someone else's car, etc. Life in general is just so much harder when you're that big and it sucks.

Now, obviously I think people should keep their opinions to themselves about anyone and how they look, I am a nurse and have seen first hand other nurses and doctors be horribly rude to patients, and all it did to those poor patients was probably make them go home and eat a bag of chips cuz they felt so bad about themselves.

I also, as a nurse, saw first hand people that were unable to get a proper diagnosis because they couldn't fit in the MRI machine.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing good about being morbidly obese...I can vouche for that first hand.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App