Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid and decision for surgery

I've been a bit obsessed with this, and found a newer procedure if this should ever happen to me, unbearable GERD that is. No way I intend on encouraging it, lol.

Ok so look into LINX.

It's a circular set of small magnets that fit outside of and around the LES. It looks extremely cool. It allows for the passage of food into the stomach, yet gently closes the sphincter when you are finished swallowing. Minimally invasive. Just google "LINX for GERD" on youtube or otherwise. =)

I've been a bit obsessed with this, and found a newer procedure if this should ever happen to me, unbearable GERD that is. No way I intend on encouraging it, lol.

Ok so look into LINX.

It's a circular set of small magnets that fit outside of and around the LES. It looks extremely cool. It allows for the passage of food into the stomach, yet gently closes the sphincter when you are finished swallowing. Minimally invasive. Just google "LINX for GERD" on youtube or otherwise. =)

Amelie2016 -

I have been researching this myself and today I found these questions and answers. Unfortunately, according to this, bariatric patients do not qualify for this procedure.I am only 3 weeks out and having the worse GERD of my entire life and it is not being controlled with medication.

This is from Massachusetts General Hospital

Frequently asked questions: LINX® system

Q: What is the LINX® Reflux Management System?

A: The LINX® Reflux Management System is an FDA-approved device implanted laparoscopically. The system relies upon a flexible Bracelet of magnetic titanium beads that, when placed around the esophagus, supports a weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the muscle that opens and closes to allow food to enter and stay in the stomach by restoring the body’s natural barrier to reflux.

Q: What are the risks associated with the LINX® procedure?

A: All surgical procedures have risks, such as the risks associated with anesthesia, risk of bleeding and risk of infection. These risks are small. The most common side effects of the LINX® system are difficulty swallowing, post-operative pain and temporary bloating of the stomach. In the long run, many surgeons have concern that the device might erode into the esophagus and need to be removed. This has not been observed in the clinical trials to date.

: How soon after the procedure can I eat?

A: You should be able to eat soft foods with 48 hours of surgery.

Q: How soon after the procedure can I resume normal physical activities?

A: Routine daily activities can begin within a few days of surgery when pain medicine is no longer required. Activities such as sit-ups or weight lifting, which require use of the abdominal muscles, should be deferred for three to six weeks.

Q: Will I have to take acid suppression medication after the procedure?

A: Based on the clinical trials performed prior to FDA approval of the device, only 10% of LINX® patients required daily medication at one- and two-year follow-up.

Q: Is there any risk the device will be too tight and cause food to get stuck?

A: Yes; about 3% of patients that have had the device implanted had this problem and required removal of the device.

Q: After the device is placed, is there any risk of infection?

A: There is always a small risk of infection whenever a foreign object is placed in the body, whether it is LINX®, a pacemaker or an artificial joint. There is not enough data at this time to calculate the percent risk of infection, but the early data suggests it is quite small.

Q: Will the device ever have to be removed?

A: The intent is for this device to be permanent. But, since there is no 10-year follow-up data available yet, we cannot be sure.

: Is there any chance the LINX® system won’t work as well if I gain a lot of weight after the procedure?

A: The LINX® system works by creating a pressure of approximately 25 mm at the gastroesophageal junction (the place where the esophagus and stomach meet). Weight gain increases the pressure inside the abdomen, so it is possible that significant weight gain can create more pressure than the LINX® valve can counteract, leading to the return of reflux symptoms.

Q: Will my insurance company pay for LINX®?

A: Nearly all insurance companies pay for antireflux surgery. Since the LINX® procedure is a new form of antireflux surgery, insurers are learning about the procedure. We are working closely with them to obtain pre-authorization for these procedures on a case-by-case basis.

Q: If my insurance won't pay for it, how much would the procedure cost?

A: Please contact the Mass General Billing Office at 617-726-4098 or at cs.mgh@partners.org for more information.

Q: I have heard that because I had bariatric surgery, I am not a candidate for LINX®. Is it possible this will change and I could be eligible for the system in the future?

A: The LINX® system is not approved for use in patients who have had prior bariatric or esophageal surgery.

Q: If the LINX® device needs to be removed or isn't effective, can I have a standard Nissen fundoplication (NF)?

A: Patients often mention that an NF was suggested to them in the past, or they were considering it when they found out about LINX®. As the screening tests are the same for both procedures, NF may still be considered, providing testing doesn't exclude you. If you cannot or choose not to have LINX®, NF may still be an option.

Thank you !!

Ok so look into LINX.

Amelie2016 -

I have been researching this myself and today I found these questions and answers. Unfortunately, according to this, bariatric patients do not qualify for this procedure.I am only 3 weeks out and having the worse GERD of my entire life and it is not being controlled with medication.

A: The LINX® Reflux Management System is an FDA-approved device implanted laparoscopically. The system relies upon a flexible Bracelet of magnetic titanium beads that, when placed around the esophagus, supports a weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the muscle that opens and closes to allow food to enter and stay in the stomach by restoring the body’s natural barrier to reflux.

A: All surgical procedures have risks, such as the risks associated with anesthesia, risk of bleeding and risk of infection. These risks are small. The most common side effects of the LINX® system are difficulty swallowing, post-operative pain and temporary bloating of the stomach. In the long run, many surgeons have concern that the device might erode into the esophagus and need to be removed. This has not been observed in the clinical trials to date.

A: Routine daily activities can begin within a few days of surgery when pain medicine is no longer required. Activities such as sit-ups or weight lifting, which require use of the abdominal muscles, should be deferred for three to six weeks.

A: Based on the clinical trials performed prior to FDA approval of the device, only 10% of LINX® patients required daily medication at one- and two-year follow-up.

A: Yes; about 3% of patients that have had the device implanted had this problem and required removal of the device.

A: There is always a small risk of infection whenever a foreign object is placed in the body, whether it is LINX®, a pacemaker or an artificial joint. There is not enough data at this time to calculate the percent risk of infection, but the early data suggests it is quite small.

A: The intent is for this device to be permanent. But, since there is no 10-year follow-up data available yet, we cannot be sure.

: Is there any chance the LINX® system won’t work as well if I gain a lot of weight after the procedure?
A: The LINX® system works by creating a pressure of approximately 25 mm at the gastroesophageal junction (the place where the esophagus and stomach meet). Weight gain increases the pressure inside the abdomen, so it is possible that significant weight gain can create more pressure than the LINX® valve can counteract, leading to the return of reflux symptoms.

A: Nearly all insurance companies pay for antireflux surgery. Since the LINX® procedure is a new form of antireflux surgery, insurers are learning about the procedure. We are working closely with them to obtain pre-authorization for these procedures on a case-by-case basis.

A: Please contact the Mass General Billing Office at 617-726-4098 or at cs.mgh@partners.org for more information.
Q: I have heard that because I had bariatric surgery, I am not a candidate for LINX®. Is it possible this will change and I could be eligible for the system in the future?
A: The LINX® system is not approved for use in patients who have had prior bariatric or esophageal surgery.

Q: If the LINX® device needs to be removed or isn't effective, can I have a standard Nissen fundoplication (NF)?
A: Patients often mention that an NF was suggested to them in the past, or they were considering it when they found out about LINX®. As the screening tests are the same for both procedures, NF may still be considered, providing testing doesn't exclude you. If you cannot or choose not to have LINX®, NF may still be an option.

Thank you for this. This is not good news, is it. =( I guess now I need to find out why, good to know because I will take this info to my next appt. too.

So sorry you're having GERD right now! I do hope it resolves itself. I keep reading that as we lose weight, the loss of pressure helps. I do hope it goes away for you! =(

At 3 weeks out you totally can be experimenting with different acid blockers. Prilosec 40mg twice a day for 6 months is standard in my surgeons practice. However, some people do better on Protonix twice a day. There is another one as well. They all act a little differently. So don't settle!

Your acids can be silent like mine. RNY is the best surgical choice for this issue. Sleeve offers a straight shot up into the esophagus again and burning it can lead to cancer. Bypass offers a "detour" and it closes off the options for any acids. I'm going RNY because of acids and Barrett's from it

Thank you !!

Ok so look into LINX.

Amelie2016 -

Thank you for this. This is not good news, is it. =( I guess now I need to find out why, good to know because I will take this info to my next appt. too.

So sorry you're having GERD right now! I do hope it resolves itself. I keep reading that as we lose weight, the loss of pressure helps. I do hope it goes away for you! =(

Yes, that;s what I hear as well but preop and with the surgery I've lost 45 lbs and my GERD has not improved at all. Of course I still have a lot of weight to lose. I don't think I have ever been so miserable with pain. If I didn't know it was acid, I would swear I was having a heart attack.

No its not good news so if you find out anything different let me know

Thank you !!

Ok so look into LINX.

Amelie2016 -

A: The LINX® Reflux Management System is an FDA-approved device implanted laparoscopically. The system relies upon a flexible bracelet of magnetic titanium beads that, when placed around the esophagus, supports a weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the muscle that opens and closes to allow food to enter and stay in the stomach by restoring the body’s natural barrier to reflux.

Yes, that;s what I hear as well but preop and with the surgery I've lost 45 lbs and my GERD has not improved at all. Of course I still have a lot of weight to lose. I don't think I have ever been so miserable with pain. If I didn't know it was acid, I would swear I was having a heart attack.

Thank you !!

Ok so look into LINX.

Amelie2016 -

A: The LINX® Reflux Management System is an FDA-approved device implanted laparoscopically. The system relies upon a flexible bracelet of magnetic titanium beads that, when placed around the esophagus, supports a weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the muscle that opens and closes to allow food to enter and stay in the stomach by restoring the body’s natural barrier to reflux.

Thank you !!

Ok so look into LINX.

Amelie2016 -

No its not good news so if you find out anything different let me know.

All this information is definately helpful. I will communicate my concerns with dr. as soon as we go over results from my upcoming GI.

This is why my doctor wants me to have RNY and not the sleeve. RNY will stop the gerd and acids

I have GERD and Barrett's Esphagus (?) and my surgeon says that he will look for hernia while in there but nothing showed on scope but he felt that loosing this weight will help with all the acid reflux.

Will you be getting the sleeve or RNY?

I will be having the sleeve on the 21st.

Hi! I just had my last apt yesterday and had been leaning towards the sleeve this whole time. So excited. Then yesterday my surgeon said I have the starts of Barrett's esophagus and acid reflux. That ended that. He said the acids can come up and burn all the cells and can cause cancer. Also he said if there's s problem with it prior there is a guarantee it will become worse since it's now a straight shot up thru the esophagus with the sleeve.

I know I surely don't want esophageal cancer or throat cancer from all these acids but I am so beyond sad and now I have a very short time to educate myself on the RNY.

Good luck to you with your decision.

My doc said there is a 75% chance GERD will go away with the sleeve and an 85% chance it will go away with the RNY.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I'm getting the bypass. I was told the sleeve can give even people who have never had this trouble, have it afterwards. And if you already have it, it will just compound the issue. When he said cancer that was it for me. He's a very pronouned surgeon and does seminars and writes books. Top surgeon in the area. Idk. I would like to trust what he is saying. Everyone will do as they choose but even tho I don't want the bypass that's what I will be having.

Edited by claddagh66