Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having such a difficult time with Constipation :unsure:

I am putting 2 capsules of Probiotics I buy from costco in my yogurt each morning NOW I have also started taking 2 stool softener caps at night - one at a time so I do not cause a block.

I know from past diets whenever I had a lot of Protein this would happen BUT I am still in the soft food stage with my foods I can eat. Tried chili without meat, tasted good but did not make the magic I was hoping for happen ;)

BTW I am off pain meds so I feel its just alot of protein in my diet and yes I should admit getting the Water down is tough for me - I do drink 2 Premier Protein drinks a day as my NUT recommended also. And I do have 3 cups Decaf in the morn ( does that count for water?) and also try and drink 80 ounces of water in addition to my Protein Drinks.< /p>

Please share with me ideas you have used that worked - now 28 days post surgery YAY no dumping yet LOL

All of you are my heros by the way :) so very very happy I found this site - everyone is AWESOME!!!

Thanks for your ideas and your time !

Bonne

I"ve always been told that Decaf counts - but caffeinated does not.

as for Constipation, practically everyone has trouble with that post-surgery. There are a lot of treatments out there - experiment with them and see which one or combos work for you. Here's what I do:

Benefiber twice a day

800 mg magnesium citrate (tablet form) twice a day

a capful of Miralax twice a week, whether I need it or not

I rarely have problems anymore.....

I"ve always been told that Decaf counts - but caffeinated does not.

as for Constipation, practically everyone has trouble with that post-surgery. There are a lot of treatments out there - experiment with them and see which one or combos work for you. Here's what I do:

Benefiber twice a day

800 mg magnesium citrate (tablet form) twice a day

a capful of Miralax twice a week, whether I need it or not

I rarely have problems anymore.....

clarification - I take 800 mg of magnesium citrate *in total* every day. So that's 400 mg in the morning, and 400 mg in the evening

Milk of magnesia works wonders and doesn't cause a bunch of cramping for me. I take two colace (stool softener) each day and then if I'm still constipated I take milk of magnesia.

I am almost nine months post op and still have to take laxatives. For me, I think it's the Vitamins that constipate me, so I just started taking one laxative a day (what's one more pill, right?) and it seems to work great. Good luck!

I have to take a stool softener everyday, Colace(250mg) one in the morning before I eat; sometimes two. If I really still am having issues I take milk of magnesia. For me if I take too much(but not dosage related)of some preparations it constipates me. I have tried natural(herbal) remedies also and they constipate me, I have to be very careful.

I am 17 months post op and still have this problem. I saw a gastroenterologist yesterday for some tests. I was taking 2 stool softeners with laxative twice per day and still am not going regularly. I eat plenty of Fiber. I have not gone since Friday.

He put me on a medication called Linzess and said it will work much better than all that other stuff. I just took my first dose so I don't know how it will work yet but I am hopeful.

Thanks so much for all the ideas - appreciate it so much !

Prune juice first thing in the morning. Stay at home though because with the bypass you will go three times pretty quick. I did a cup the first time. I would not recommend that much. Maybe try 1/2 cup and see what happens.

When I switched to the Bariatric Advantage multi Vitamins with Iron, I was in agony from Constipation, so I called my surgeon's office and talked to the nurse. She asked me if I drank caffeinated coffee in the morning pre-surgery. Yes....so she suggested having a 4 oz cup w/ miralax mixed in-apparently caffeinated coffee will "stimulate" the bowels. Also, she suggested a serving of the ORIGINAL Kashi Go Lean(she stressed the original part) several times a week. So twice a week I do the coffee thing, and the Cereal I eat 4 times a week. I haven't had any problems since.

When I switched to the Bariatric Advantage Multi Vitamins with Iron, I was in agony from Constipation, so I called my surgeon's office and talked to the nurse. She asked me if I drank caffeinated coffee in the morning pre-surgery. Yes....so she suggested having a 4 oz cup w/ miralax mixed in-apparently caffeinated coffee will "stimulate" the bowels. Also, she suggested a serving of the ORIGINAL Kashi Go Lean(she stressed the original part) several times a week. So twice a week I do the coffee thing, and the Cereal I eat 4 times a week. I haven't had any problems since.

Oops I see that I quoted butterball b cat and never added my question. Do you eat the Kashi cereal with milk or yogurt?

I'm miserable with this issue at 2.5 weeks post op. I won't go for days and then when the time comes (with assistance from Milk of Magnesia) it's extremely painful and takes forever. My doctor told me to take Colace and my NUT attributed it to too much Calcium. I was prescribed 1500mg of calcium chews a day (3) and was told to now just take 500 (1) a day because my brand of Protein shakes provide plenty of Calcium.< /p>

I bought liquid colace from the Pharmacy because I was scared to take a pill (even though the doc said it was ok). That stuff was NASTY and did not produce any results, so I will be picking up the pill form tonight. Hopefully with the decrease in calcium and few softeners in my system, things will get moving.