Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else struggling with protein powder?

I had my DS surgery on 2/2/16 so Protein supplements are important for me to get my protein in. I am really struggling with finding a powder I can tolerate. whey Proteins were way too sweet and it turned out a was having allergic reactions to them so I had to switch to plant-based. Pea protein was nasty. Soy protein was tolerable for about a week then it started to make me gag. Mixed plant-based is just as bad as pea by itself. I'm finally in Phase One of sampling real food but it is very hard to get at least 60 grams of protein in a day from the short list of items we can choose from unless I eat chicken all day (2oz every 3 hours). How have you handled the protein supplements?

I never used Protein Powder. Have you tried the premade Protein Drinks like Muscle Milk and Myoplex? I used to buy the 4 packs of those. Maybe they'd agree with you and they're very easy to use.

Edited by Postop

Are you drinking ready to drink Protein drinks? My doc said those are hard to tolerate to many. I suggest powders. I use max pro from max muscle. Syntrax is really good. Try flavored Isopure protein drinks. Vitamin Shoppe has them as does max muscle.

Duh....... I'm sorry. Just re read your title.

I was sleeved 3 years ago and had my ds a couple months ago. Always struggled to find a Protein Shake I liked. Try the Premier Protein ready to drink, I add maxwell house latte mix to mine and it is delicious

Thanks for the ideas. One of my problems is that I have a milk allergy. All of the pre-made Protein drinks seem to contain Whey.

The key is to keep experimenting until you can find something you can tolerate. I hate Protein shakes but after a while I found out that if I blended in a half a banana, it would make it tolerable. As time went on, I was eventually able to transition to using Protein Bars. I found that Quest bars had a lot of varieties and filled the bill especially when I was up and about town. I am 33 months post-op RNY surgery and as my meal volume increased, I was able to transition from 3 Protein Shakes a day, down to 2, down to 1 and then eventually 0. I did this by consuming high Protein meals. Your daily protein requirement is met by the amount of protein you obtain from supplements (protein shakes, protein bars) and the amount of protein you obtain from meals.

Thanks for the ideas. One of my problems is that I have a milk allergy. All of the pre-made Protein drinks seem to contain Whey.

After surgery, I quickly found out that I was lactose intolerant. The Protein Powder that I used was Muscle Milk Light (vanilla Cream). This powder has no lactose and I mixed it with Water. After about 2 months I discovered that I was no longer lactose intolerant and was able to consume dairy products again.

The key is to keep experimenting until you can find something you can tolerate.

This is key right here. And it doesn't stop at just Protein drinks. Your diet and food tolerances will be trial and error from here on out.

Have you looked into the lactose free whey? Isopure makes a quality LF product as well as Optimum Nutrition Hydrowhey. There are several options available it will just take time. My recommendation would be do buy small "sample" sizes until you find one that works. THEN you can move into different flavors.

Edited by jj7481

My milk allergy goes beyond just lactose. That is what I thought it was at first, until I tried a lactose free milk and it still made me very sick. Hopefully, I will be able to work the Protein out without supplements or figure out how to hide the taste of plant-based protein supplements in food.

There are several options for Protein besides powders. There are Protein infused foods, unflavored mixers, and concentrated protein "shots." New Whey protein is what I was on during my liquid phase. It's a concentrated protein that provides 42g in just over 3 oz. Not the best tasting but you'll get your protein and not have to drink milk or milk products.

One of my surgeons gave me an alternative that worked yesterday. Since I can tolerate Greek yogurt, I can mix 1 serving non-fat Greek yogurt (about 15g protein) with a couple tablespoons of berries and blend until smooth and liquidity. I also added about a teaspoon of sugar free Jello powder to improve the taste. Thanks to everyone for the tips and all the best on your weight loss journeys.

Have you tried Powdered Egg Protein?

I used to use it, but made shakes out of it with fruit and Water.

I had my DS surgery on 2/2/16 so Protein supplements are important for me to get my protein in. I am really struggling with finding a powder I can tolerate. whey Proteins were way too sweet and it turned out a was having allergic reactions to them so I had to switch to plant-based. Pea protein was nasty. Soy protein was tolerable for about a week then it started to make me gag. Mixed plant-based is just as bad as pea by itself. I'm finally in Phase One of sampling real food but it is very hard to get at least 60 grams of protein in a day from the short list of items we can choose from unless I eat chicken all day (2oz every 3 hours). How have you handled the protein supplements?