Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LA area, Beverly hills - Dr Michael Feiz

Ok so this is my first post venting the crazy as they say. I've read this forum for some time and you all inspire me to get real about my diet, my lifestyle and take the plunge. Thanks! I should to say upfront that I'm 100X more nervous now that I have a surgery date. Please forgive me if I'm just being neurotic.

I have two questions for you lovely people.

1. Has anyone on these boards worked with Dr Michael Feiz in Beverly Hills? Anyone use the Marina Del Rey Hospital?

2. How much has your pre-op experience effected your trust/confidence in your surgeon and or facility?

A bit of background for you:

I had my endoscopy a week ago. I was nervous so I sat and listened for like 30 minutes in the bed while waiting for my turn, While waiting, I could hear employees (wearing scrubs, seemingly on the clock) talk about happy hour, margaritas and how wild they got last time. Doubt crept in. Then a nurse came in and did my catheter on my wrist. I ended up bruised and having it in hurt like a mother. She was very nice, and I've never had a catheter before so maybe that's normal? I just feel sketched out because I woke up after the endoscopy to excruciating pain on my face. I felt an intense urge to leave ASAP. One of the nurses went and got my mom for me. She told me that it looked like I bit my upper lip. So the nurse brought me a glove filled with ice which helped. So it's been over a week and the chunk of my lip has mostly healed. I have no sensation there and the shape of my lip has changed slightly, not a huge deal on its own.

Buuuuuuuuut this is my first surgery. Now I'm psyching myself out questioning what could happen during the actual procedure after this last experience.

Dr Feiz was professional, warm and trustworthy when I did my consult last year. Is it normal to second guess your choice of facility 2 weeks before your procedure?

Edited by oneeightybysummer

I used Dr Feiz but didn't do my endoscopy through them. My research on Dr Feiz made me feel he was very qualified. I had no problems at all with the surgery. Mine was done in a surgical center. The coordination and organization of the office itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing! I initially shared your impression of Dr Feiz. The endoscopy experience just made me nervous about the hospital. I poked around on my insurance website (BSCA) his average patient rating was in the high 50/low 60s out of 100. The lack of organization and follow up seems to be a recurring thing from his reviews.

But I don't mind it so far.

Can I ask how long you had to take off work?

I'm retired so it wasn't a factor. I felt really good after surgery. 4-5 days of discomfort. I don't really know what to tell you about back to work. At this point in my life that is such a foreign concept. I really put a lot of energy into just getting in my fluids and then Soups, Protein drinks. It seemed like a full time job. You do what you have to do. I definitely did not feel like an invalid and after the first few days didn't nap at all. Actually after surgery I wake up refreshed between 8-9 every morning. I was always groggy in the morning. This was a nice surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SassyNanny

Oh thats a relief to hear you had pretty smooth sailing with Dr Feiz. I've thought about it and even if the same things happened during the surgery, it's pretty minor "problems" in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for your story! :)

You are welcome. At this stage in my life I knew I didn't need the 6 month diet and support groups and meetings with therapists. His streamlined approach was just what I needed. The office follow through was terrible but I'm a get it done kind of person so my follow through streamlined things with them. They were all nice, just not as professional as I would have expected at times.

Edited by SassyNanny