Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really missing coffee

I was *this close* to having a half cup of coffee, until I read this article:

Do you agree with this article? To me it kind of advises that even small amounts of caffeine after being consumed will linger and continue to create acid in the stomach.

It's one of those days and God as my witness I need a jolt. A jolt to get errands accomplished, and to help my first experience w/ Constipation this morning.

And in my mind, I'm thinking, what's a little cup of coffee going to do to me if I add the same amount of appropriate milk?

Not happy. I know I can get in my Water, that's not been a problem. But I can not make an acidic environment in my stomach because after reading everything it seems GERDs is the lingering lurch who will STRIKETH DOWN" all who enter the VSG world.

*LE SIGH*!!

Here is the snipet from "Livestrong"

Stomach Acid

Coffee both contains acid and creates acid. There’s the amount of acid in the brew itself, but there’s also the acid your stomach produces as a result of drinking the coffee. In the latter case, caffeine is a culprit, as it makes your stomach generate more acid. But other components of coffee also stimulate stomach acid. People who suffer from acid reflux, a condition in which stomach contents seep up the esophagus, may want to reconsider drinking coffee at all.

Differing Studies

A study at Munich’s Hospital Bogenhausen, as reported in the June 1997 issue of the "Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics Journal," found that patients experienced less gastroesophageal reflux when drinking decaffeinated coffee. But some studies have had the opposite results. Some experts say it depends on the type of bean from which the coffee is made.

I switched to Decaf and I'm limiting myself to two cups a day in this frigid weather. I really don't miss the caffeine.

I have been allowed coffee since 30 days post-op and drink it every single day. But I also take 20mg of omeprazole twice daily.... could there be a connection? I don't know. Not sure I'm willing to give up the coffee to try to find out!

I don't have any acid issues. I don't take anything for acid. Drink coffee everyday.

Live Strong isn't exactly the mayo clinic.

If you are concerned about acid, drink cold brew coffee.< /p>

I know, I have two omeprazole per day as well. 20 and 20. I'm just so mad, grrr.

My kind mother went to the store to get Mineral Oil for me, because that's what the nurse at BMI of Texas recommenced this morning. Wow, so much better than coffee. O.o *angry face* These Protein shakes I'm drinking end up like chalk sticks!

Actually if you can handle oil without dumping, Adding some MCT Oil to whatever you having in the morning will give you a boost without caffeine. You just have to build up your tolerance to it, because it can cause diarrhea even in normal people if you aren't used to it. Start with a teaspoon and work your way up. If you blend shakes, add it to a shake and drink it down. It is flavorless. I like the Now Foods Brand. It is great before workouts for energy.

http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-MCT-100-Oil/dp/B00KPZXER6

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I don't have any acid issues. I don't take anything for acid. Drink coffee everyday.

Live Strong isn't exactly the mayo clinic.

If you are concerned about acid, drink cold brew coffee.< /p>

Outside!

Thank you for this! Is there a cold coffee brewer that you recommend? Reading about some now, so many!

I'm lazy I just buy my cold brew at Trader Joe's. We had a conversation about it a while ago. Someone else said they just use their french press overnight in the fridge.

Dumb question, but why does hot/cold make a difference after the sleeve surgery? I'm a coffee lover extraordinary, not looking forward to giving it up.

Dumb question, but why does hot/cold make a difference after the sleeve surgery? I'm a coffee lover extraordinary, not looking forward to giving it up.

I talked to the manager at my local Starbucks today, they sell "Cold-Brewed" coffee. Cold brewing VS standard brew reduces the acidity level sometimes up to 65%. Cold Brewing takes standard of 20 hours of coarse ground coffee sitting in Water, then when that's finished you press it out or pour what you want from a Cold Press Brewer. Really cool!

SO. I will just load my new Cold Brewer tonight in the fridge and have it in the morning, making sure I do it 20 hours before.

So to answer your question, the cold brewing reduces acidity, thus reducing the adverse effects of acidic environment in the new tube. =D I had a small one and I admit, I was in HEAVEN after 6 weeks of being off all loaded and unloaded coffee. The caffeine content was the same, I did not feel jittery, nor did I go pee like a maniac, like I was dehydrating.

So I'm a really happy camper right now. God Bless "Outside"

PSS

The food Grade Mineral Oil worked wonders! Gotta say, I love that too. That happened before I made it to Starbucks.

PSSS No, I am not a huge Starbucks fan, but my mom is here and she is uber Americana. :P

I've been struggling with my reflux lately. Having a flare up as I type this

I have my 18 month follow up next week. I expect I'll be instructed to knock off any coffee leaded or unleaded and see if it improves.

Some days it's one cup (of either) some days a few. Others none...I also like tea, and I have Decaf.

Just not looking forward to giving up my hot beverages of choice. . But reflux is no fun.

And the Starbucks coldbrew is so smooth. Yum.

The Starbucks cold brew is cold which is fine in summer but was annoying in winter. I like buy cold brew concentrate because I can have it warm if I like.

I switched to Decaf but I no longer like the taste of coffee :[

I was sooooooo disappointed. I loved my morning ritual of having a cup