Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastroentroologist surgeon will not clear me

I have had all my tests and every one of them came back fine and all of the doctors have cleared me for surgery except the gastroenterologist. He will not clear me without an MRI and I cannot fir into the machine. Does anyone have any suggestions of hoe I can get the clearance?

Have you talked to him about alternatives since you don't fit in the machine?

If he absolutely requires an MRI is there a facility that he knows of that has a larger machine?

I know I had an MRI at over 500 pounds but it may also depend on how you are shaped.

If he requires it and you can't find a facility that can accommodate you, you may be required to lose weight so the tests can be run.

Don't give up.

Keep asking questions until you can find a solution.

Good MRIs are hard to find. I needed one of my neck and they tried to squeeze me into what they called an open MRI. It looked like a chair set far back into 2 walls. However, I was too large to even get into the small spot to sit. They tried to turn my sideways and I started cramping up.

In the one I was flat on my back, they wanted me to keep my arms above my head and squirm in. Seriously, W T Eff? No blood would reach my arms in that amount of time in that tight of a squeeze.

Just because these people "got an education" does not mean they understand the plight of the obese.

Good MRIs are hard to find. I needed one of my neck and they tried to squeeze me into what they called an open MRI. It looked like a chair set far back into 2 walls. However, I was too large to even get into the small spot to sit. They tried to turn my sideways and I started cramping up.

In the one I was flat on my back, they wanted me to keep my arms above my head and squirm in. Seriously, W T Eff? No blood would reach my arms in that amount of time in that tight of a squeeze.

Just because these people "got an education" does not mean they understand the plight of the obese.

Keep demanding. Me, I gave up, nothing else progressive enough in my town. But my Bariatric Dr.s office has a machine that works live I can see my stomach. Ask about that? Not sure what it was called.

Edited by Amelie2016

Thank you so much. When I had my sigmoidoscopy last week he did ask what the recovery time was for the gastric sleeve so I am thinking he MAY be considering clearing me. But I definately cannot fit in the machine. I don't know that there is any alternative. But I am running out of time with my tests, because they are only good for a certain amount of months. And if they run out my insurance will not pay for them again. I am trying to be positive, but I'm losing hope.

An open MR I doesnt produce the best quality. They have an MRI called the donut for us larger folks. You just have to find a facility that has it.

Ugh. No advice for you, but just wanted to wish you well. My gastric was actually the one to suggest WLS to me, to help with my fatty liver.

Then, when I was losing good in my 6 month preop, he asked if I wanted to reconsider. Smh.