Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! My pouch is rejecting meats!

I am 5 weeks post RNY. Every time I try to eat even a tiny bite of meat (chewed for a full 30 seconds), it comes right back up! It also causes a gas disturbance in my upper GI area. I feel like I have to burp, but its stuck and I eventually end up burping (not vomiting) up what I just ate. This could happen after just one small bite of well chewed meat, so, i don't eat meat. This also happens with other food items. Except Carbs. Does this happen to anyone else? Any advice?

Don't eat carbs! Not after 5 weeks. Number one.

Number two is you will find many things that work and others that don't - so experiment. I was able to eat tilapia but not salmon, beef but not chicken, filet but not strip......

But DO NOT EAT CARBS!!!!!

Protein ONLY!

Talk to your NUTT and surgeon about any physical issues though but be honest with them. This has to be a joint effort for us all and when we start thinking we control the weight loss because we have the surgery - we lose.

We all got excessively fat over years of poor choices, make the right ones now and if you can't digest something then try something else next time. Come back to the original issue food in a month or so as it may change. May never change. (I can eat most anything now but I still choose ZERO carbs unless from Vegitables or some fruits) ZERO soda, ZERO sugary candy

Thank you jdc121975! Fortunately, I have never been a soda drinker. I will probably never choose a ZERO carb diet. I would probably fair better with a controlled carbohydrate diet. My goal is a balanced and sustainable eating regimen. I will take your great advice and try reintroducing meats gradually in a few weeks.

I second everything @@jdc121975 said. Carbs aren't the devil but in the beginning they are kind of terrible for you. Especially if that is the majority of food you're eating. You can sabotage yourself very easily this way - it's a slippery slope. How about yogurt? Has pureeing meat with maybe some cottage cheese worked for you? How about refried Beans (yes, these are a carb too, but also full of Fiber and protein)? Have you tried different kinds of cheese? I had similar problems in the beginning. Not much of my food came back up but almost all food items made me feel sick and full and they say strangely and uncomfortably in my stomach. It's much, much better now.

Edited by Cervidae

Everything is an experiment as now to people will be able to eat the same things. You have to keep trying foods and find what works for you. Keep an open line with your nutritionist for different ideas.

pureed meats were never that appealing so I never tried that. I just masticated the crap out of every bite of meats. Have you tried tuna? How about ground turkey?

Just keep plugging along and experimenting. Don't get discouraged and keep moving forward to try different things. Even things you once thought you didn't like/couldn't handle may become a delicacy.

I guess I should have clarified more so that it's the enriched flour carbs I avoid completely or the straight up carbs coming from all those skittles and m&ms inused to eat by the bag.

Beans and such I enjoy in reasonable amounts.

And give those flavored tuna packs a try too - I used to mix tuna packs with a whipped up egg and divide it in two portions (one in fridge) and the other I'd heat up some oil in a pan (just a little) and I'd get a nice crispy like patty made with egg and tuna (tastes great and was easy to digest)

I'm just concerned that I'm not getting enough nutrition because I can't keep a lot of things down. I've been making smoothie's in my Nutrabullet with Kale, Baby Carrots, apple, banana, Flaxseed, and a scoop of vanilla whey Protein Powder, but I can't continue to just drink my food. My weight loss during the 5 weeks has been awesome. 30lbs so far. I'm very please with that. Thank you for the encouragement @@jj7481, I appreciate it. I will continue to slowly introduce soft meats. ????

@@jdc121975 Definitely no M&M's, Skittles, or garbage like that. Just Whole grain Pita chips and hummus, very small amounts of that. The rest of the time its my Veggie/fruit & flaxseed smoothie with very little Protein in it. I need to get at least 70-90g of protein a day and its not happening with my current indigestion issues.

@@jdc121975 Definitely no M&M's, Skittles, or garbage like that. Just Whole grain Pita chips and hummus, very small amounts of that. The rest of the time its my Veggie/fruit & flaxseed smoothie with very little Protein in it. I need to get at least 70-90g of Protein a day and its not happening with my current indigestion issues.

How about upping your protein in your smoothies to 1.5 - 2 scoops?

Jj7481, I thought of that. I was just afraid it would make my smoothie too thick (food texture issues) Lol!! I think I'll add .5 scoop tomorrow with a little more Water. Every little bit helps. I'm also going to get back on my Premier Protein shakes. Thanks! I just hope liquid food is not my life sentence.

Edited by Klaselayd

It's not. Like I said, post-op RNY is an experiment and finding what works for you. Things will be hit or miss. Try them for yourself and see if your body likes them.

None of that is what u need right now. Ur filling ur pouch with the secondary stuff and u only get so much room.

Try Syntrax Nectar Protein - it's sugar free and carb free and loaded with protein and chocolate truffle 2 scoops mixed with 16 oz of Water will give u 1/2 of ur needed daily protein.

Try Quest bars and quest protein chips - also both easy to digest.

DO NOT eat pita chips and hummus until u have gotten ur protein amounts.

Your sabotaging yourself by doing so.

You will be "burping" up meat at this rate because ur pouch is full up on pita. Sorry if this is harsh but you chose this route like we all did and u should hear that it's protein FIRST!

Throw the chip crap away.

6 months out maybe have one.

Right now vegitables and fruit are not even something u need to be eating if u aren't getting protein amounts yet.

Vitamin supplements are to take care of everything but protein.

@@Klaselayd, it is very common to not be able to tolerate meat at this point. I am eight months post op and still cannot eat some meats. The four times I have dumped have been on meat (fish, ham, roast and hamburger). Some people say it was not dumping because it was not sugar related, but I started to salivate, then had to use the bathroom, then vomited....same thing, same order, all four times. So, for the longest time I avoided meats and just recently tried pork and turkey/ham lunch meat and have done okay with those two. I could eat turkey burger but not hamburger, you just have to experiment. People told me to continue trying meat every couple weeks. It was easier said than done, knowing it would make me vomit, so I just didn't eat meat for a couple month. There are plenty of other ways to get your daily allowance of Protein. It seems that at the six month mark, things change. I don't know how, but that has been my experience. Good luck and be patient!