Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want the TRUTH about vitamins!

Only one month out and I take Multivitamins, coq10, Calcium, and Potassium. Monthly I take the B12 shot. I cannot take the Celebrate Vitamins - they make me vomit so I have been taking really ones off the shelf. Does everyone take Vitamins twice a day? Do you ever skip them (not feeling well, missed them, etc.)? I feel like I am being a little over compulsive about this topic?

I took Vitamins the first few months after surgery. They started making me sick, so I stopped. I see my doctor every six months and my lab results are always fine. May not work for everyone, but I've literally has no issues and I'm 2.5 yrs out

I take two Multi Vitamins, potassium, stool softener, allergy tab, and 2 B-12 every night before bed. I have never had a problem with my levels and have had my blood checked twice since surgery in June 2015. I take them all at the same time and then I go to sleep, so I have never had a problem with them making me sick.

I just came to the site to ask specifically about Vitamins as well. I am 4 months post up and down 65lbs! I have been taking a multi-Vitamin, VitaminD3, Calcium, Biotin, B-complex, B12 - and have just realized i am not adding anymore Iron to my Vitamin intake (not sure how i missed that one) but my Multivitamin has 18 mg of Iron so i am reaching the minimum requirements from my Dr - I have started feeling sluggish about halfway through my day and believe that may be the culprit. Has anyone else had this problem???

@@kfs5628 I've had that exact problem. Turns out I was supposed to take my Iron supplement twice a day and I was only taking it once. Now my iron levels are low and I'm slowly building them back up. Not taking Vitamins may work for some people but there's a reason it's standard procedure after a bypass. Also, for the rest of you, your levels may be fine now but a few years down the road, you will almost certainly have Vitamin deficiencies. So keep an eye on it and ignore doctor's orders at your own peril! :P

I take 1 generic multi Vitamin with D, 1 Bariatric calcium citrate sweet tart, I take 1 Vitamin d3, I take 1 vitamin b1. I also take stool softeners with laxative twice a day. This is because I am currently on narcotic pain relievers.

I am on hold for B12 until March because my b12 was through the roof as I was taking it too often. I take the vitamin b1 because my thiamin was low during my last labs. I am not on Iron because I had a hysterectomy, I was told had I still had my period I would have to take Iron as well.

Other than the b Vitamins my levels have been excellent. I never skip my Vitamins, I am very careful because I know that the malabsorption of bypass can lead to problems. I already have significant issues with my bones and joints and would prefer to not make that worse.

I took Vitamins regularly right after my surgery. I had a leak in my pouch and ended up back in the hospital and when I was released I quit taking them. I did not take them for about three months before having my Vitamin levels tested. The only thing that was low at that time was B1. I started taking a Multivitamin, a B1 supplement and Calcium (because I had heard horror stories about people not being able to get knee replacements because their bones were too weak for the screws) about two months ago. Last Friday I had my bloodwork done again and the B1 has come up from 37 to 56, but they want me to take that supplement for another two months, then test again. My surgeon feels that once I get the level up, everything I need will be in the multivitamin. So, long term, I will just take a multivitamin and calcium.

I'm just 3 1/2 months out but i take my Vitamins religiously. I use 2 flintstones complete chewable (one in morning, one at night) as directed by my dietician. Plus calcium chews (2 a day), Biotin, a baby aspirin, a b-12 once a week, stool softeners (which aren't working well). I am eating so very little that I know i need the vitamins!

My wife also reacted badly after taking her Vitamins the surgeon suggested eating raisins (white) before or after taking the Vitamin pill. Strangely enough all is good now maybe it will help you as well. We both are taking special Vitamin pills created here in The Netherlands for Gastric Bypass patients.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the BariatricPal App