Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick of being sick

So I am 5 weeks out and having issues. I can't get in the fluids they want me to. Only getting up to 30 oz but the last week it is getting less and less and I'm at about 15ish oz. Protein is about the same. No more the 30g a day but closer to 15ish if even. I always feel full and if I eat or drink anything then I get thanksgiving dinner full or worse and end up getting sick. It's hard because I still get thirsty and sometimes hungry or at least know how good that food sitting there tastes and want some. I have only lost like 25 lbs and feel tired and sick to my stomach and everyone keeps getting on me. "You have to get up and do something and you have to drink and what about your protein" ok I know that, I just don't feel good or physically have the energy. I feel like something is wrong and no one else seems to care. The doctors just keep wanting test after test and saying "well this is wrong but that won't make you feel full but there isn't anything else wrong. Maybe starting to get a little down but don't want anyone knowing. They will just say that is the problem and put me on more drugs. It is not the problem. The problem started way before the sadness. I'm just sad cause I'm sick all the time. I go to the doc again Tuesday the 26 or whatever the date is. Someone help! I don't know what to do.

First, so sorry you are feeling so bad! Been there done that and it isn't fun! It is a bit of a vicious cycle - you cannot eat or drink but not getting enough Protein or fluids will make you feel sick. You may have a stricture. I did. Once they fixed that I felt MUCH better. Have they done an EGD to see if you have a stricture? If not, you may need to insist on it. If your bariatric surgeon will not do it, then you can go to a GI dr who will.

Good luck! keep track of your symptoms for the next few days and talk to the dr about it. (It took me not being able to hold anything at all down for 4 1/2 days and a trip to the ER before I got them to do the EGD and found the stricture. To be fair to the dr, I don't think I was explaining my symptoms very well.)

Daisee is right, not drinking enough liquid will literally make you feel like crap. You will become nauseous, dizzy, headaches, tired and weak.

If you can you must keep sipping at least liquids for now. I literally had to hold my cup in my hands and take a sip every few moments. It is normal not to be able to drink everything they ask you to in those first couple of weeks but you must do the best you can with it.

The swelling will go down as time goes by and it will become easier. Remember it is the Protein that will help you heal.

I really hope you feel better soon or they get to the bottom of your issues and resolve it for you.

First, so sorry you are feeling so bad! Been there done that and it isn't fun! It is a bit of a vicious cycle - you cannot eat or drink but not getting enough Protein or fluids will make you feel sick. You may have a stricture. I did. Once they fixed that I felt MUCH better. Have they done an EGD to see if you have a stricture? If not, you may need to insist on it. If your bariatric surgeon will not do it, then you can go to a GI dr who will.

Good luck! keep track of your symptoms for the next few days and talk to the dr about it. (It took me not being able to hold anything at all down for 4 1/2 days and a trip to the ER before I got them to do the EGD and found the stricture. To be fair to the dr, I don't think I was explaining my symptoms very well.)

Sorry didn't mean to send that. Lol yes they did an EGD and a few other things. I have to do a stomach ex-ray with barium. That I'm not gonna be able to drink. Lol but they said everything was fine. Kust have to see what they say Tuesday. I do write down everything I do, eat, drink, how I feel and what I do to make it better. Someone needs to figure something out. Or do I just put up with it and wait for it to go away. Rrrrr just sick of being sick!

Edited by sbyrd3

Best thing I found was GENEPRO unflavored Protein powder. I could not gag down anymore Protein shakes. I mix it in to ricotta cheese, or refried Beans or chili etc and it adds 30 grams of Protein to whatever you're eating. I have even used it in sugar free pudding. Mix in one scoop and prepare with skim milk. That way I know I get at least 60 grams of protein per day. I still find Water hard but I work at it. The biggest problem I had was nausea and tiredness but once I started getting more Water in those symptoms got better. Still feels like a lead balloon whenever I eat but it is getting easier. I'm at 8 weeks.

First things first. You are dehydrated, ask for IV fluids. You will feel so much better. Then, make a plan to sip sip sip to stay hydrated. Choose a very thin, not thick Protein drink. Premier Protein is thick Syntrax nectar is thin. Sip sip sip.

Keep working with nutritionist or surgeon's office until you are on track.

Dehydration makes you feel like you are dying and must be addressed before you can really get to feeling better. Hang in there.

First things first. You are dehydrated, ask for IV fluids. You will feel so much better. Then, make a plan to sip sip sip to stay hydrated. Choose a very thin, not thick Protein drink. Premier Protein is thick Syntrax nectar is thin. Sip sip sip.

Keep working with nutritionist or surgeon's office until you are on track.

Dehydration makes you feel like you are dying and must be addressed before you can really get to feeling better. Hang in there.

I am getting IV fluids. As a matter oh fact. That is what I'm doing as I'm typing. They just make me feel full longer. I just hate this feeling. I will try the Protein and sipping. Thank you

My thoughts are with you, I promise this does get better!

I'm glad you are on IV fluids. I have a friend with Crohn's, and staying hydrated is difficult for her. I've seen the terrible things that dehydration can do to the body. It seems especially cruel that once you get to a certain point, nausea kicks in. Don't give up pushing for answers: it's too important. Good luck!

Well, they said everything looks good. I just have to start forcing myself to drink and eat. It is so hard though. I am so full all the time. I did get it up to 53oz the other day and I felt like I had to vomit all day. Now today I am up to 10oz and 2 med cups of beef stew and I feel like I have to vomit. My even have to make myself just to get rid of this feeling. God I hate it. But at least nothing wrong.

Remember thin Protein drinks...sip sip sip. My program. Let me count Protein Drinks toward my hydration goal in the early days. If you can manage two thin servings of syntax nectar for example, you will have about 1/4th of your daily hydration and more like 2/3 of your Protein.

In my opinion, beef stew is too bulky for the amount of protein you get given how restricted you are.

Avoid the things that feel the heaviest, I don't know what works best for you but things like Greek yogurt seemed to be easy on me.

For me personally, the most difficult time was when I was transitioning to solid food. In my case it was about 6 weeks post op...everything felt like lead and I was a bit naseous all the time. I didn't vomit, but felt icky. Vitamins felt awful, like they were a full meal themselves.

Chew alot, eat slow, small meals every 2-3 hours and use thin Protein Drink to get you to your protein and hydration goals.

This phase will pass and you will feel better.