Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You Need New Clothes

I am a few days shy of being six weeks post op. I am also two pounds away from a total weight loss of fifty pounds. As you can imagine my clothes are starting to sag. One of my co-worker friends whom I told that I had WLS has told me on a few occasions that I need to get new clothes and that by keeping my current wardrobe I am showing fear that I will not lose the weight and thus need to hold on to my current clothing. Now people, this is not true. This post is going to explain why my present reluctance to purchase new clothes has nothing to do with holding on as a result of some fear.

I researched VSG for two years before I had my procedure. I was fully aware that I would need to overhaul my whole wardrobe. At the same time I am a teacher that is working a new school district in which I make thousands of dollars less than I used to. What this means is that I have to get creative about address my clothing needs in light of a smaller salary. I am going to have to take things in by hand and buy things from thrifts stores. I am blessed that I live near one and on Mondays they have half off days. ;) I want to go about getting new clothes in a way that is financially wise.

Additionally, I am not overly concerned with wearing clothes that are too big. I am trying to get this body of mine right. This is my first objective. My pants are starting to look ridiculous, but I am just going to wear belts and later on start taking them in. Dresses and shirts still look just fine. I have clothing that I really like and I would like to keep them even after I lose all my weight. Of course they will need to be tailored to fit the new body, but that is okay. I have some really cute clothing, so if I can keep it why not?

As a some what younger sleever, 34, I do not have decades of yo yo dieting. When I was in my twenties I could not afford gym memberships and what not. I do not have that as my personal experience. Anytime I lost weight in the past it was never enough to warrant a whole new wardrobe. This is why I can still fit things from my twenties and even high school. My closet does not house I a wide array of sizes. This idea of holding on to clothes for fear I will gain all this weight back is just not true for me. In Jesus name this weight is not coming back! Anything I keep is because I still look it. If an outfit looks good big it will probably still look good small, right?

She has offered to give me her old 16s. My thought is just because the clothing might be the right size, I mean when that time comes, does not mean I will like how they look. So I told her we will see.

With that said I will start adding pieces and donating pieces probably close the end of February or early March. If I need something sooner I can just walk a block to the thrift store.

In short and in love I just want her to leave me alone about the matter. I know she is trying to be helpful, but I am not going to go into debt trying to impress anyone.

Thoughts and go!

I'm sure she's just trying to be helpful. Obviously at 50lb loss, your clothes must be baggy. Why not take her up on a few `16's. if you don't wear them, pay it forward. If you end up liking how they look, even better. I've found that wearing pants that actually fit make me feel better. My tops can be baggy, but baggy pants looked awful on me.

resale shops and thrift stores as well as clearance are my best friends right now. I'm down 60 lbs since surgery, but 100lbs since I attended the wls seminar. I've gone through so many sizes so far from a 32/34 down to a 22/24 and dropping. Wearing clothes that fit really make me feel better and makes me proud of what I have accomplished with my new body. It deserves to be out there saying "I'm kicking butt!" Not hiding under ridiculously big pants and baggy shirts. The way I see it, if someone wants to give me clothes and I can use them, I'd take them. It's just a short stop on the way down the weight ladder, but it does many things. It helps you see your body as the smaller vessel it is becoming and it makes the giver feel good too. ????

Edited by Sajijoma

Wearing baggy pants do not make me feel bad. Oh, and I know she is trying to be helpful. I just to go about getting my own clothes when I feel ready to do so and in the style I like. I will already have to donate a lot of clothing. She can donate her own stuff! lol Based on the style of pants she wears to work I do not think I would like her pants and that is just me guessing. Besides I have a small closet there is no where to store these clothing. I am not close to wearing a 16. So why not worry about 16s until I actually can fit them. It is just off putting to have someone come up to you at work pull on your clothes and say you need new clothes. I am sure you can see why it is offensive.