Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a goal to live to 100 years old!

I am a 49 year old man living on Cape Cod with my wife and our two children. My weight over the decades has slowly crept up and hitting an all time high of 287pounds. I have had 9 knee surgeries on my right knee since i was 17yo. When the knee hurts and buckles the weight scrambles on.The more the weight the more the knee gives out.

Then came the sleep apnea, Then the Blood pressure pills. Then the cholesterol meds. This path was leading to early death or total knee replacement before 50 and the weight gain roller ride.

I am actively in the last phases of all the preop requirements and have a surgery date for early March.

I believe this is the best course of action for my life and achieving my goal to live to 100. The alternative is to dire.

I would like to read more on the first few days after surgery and how quickly one can return to work and family life.I not looking for horror stories.

Thank you

John

I had literally very little surgical pain after my surgery. The worst part of the whole surgery process is swallowing the "slime" one has to drink to assure no leakage. If you can drink that sewage you can do ANYTHING! :) Really, you can and will do fantastically well. Your mind is in the right place. Everything else will follow.

I had a knee replacement three months before my sleeve surgery, so exercise was a concern. My surgeon wrote an order for "Aquatherapy". It was a blessing.

Valentina

First few days after surgery were a little painful. I took pain meds until my 5th post op day. I purposely timed my surgery to be when the kids are in school. I didn't need them pestering me with questions etc...but they were helpful when they were home. I just didn't want to feel the need to entertain them. I needed all of my focus to be on drinking, walking and Protein. I halted all household chores for two weeks, my hubby and kids did everything. By week 3, I was still home but returned to my normal routine. It's been normal ever since.

@@CaptainJohn

I'm a year and a half out. No complications after surgery. I still have no complications. I bounced back quickly. There is pain with every surgery...I had good perspective going into this....

I watched my mother struggle with serious pain dying from stage four cancer. The least I could do is to buck up and get my life back. I made the choice to have surgery. I have absolutely no regret.

Here is my video from my high weight to goal..Its dedicated to my mother:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/videos/view-10-goal/

I had a very pleasant surgical experience. No real pain, just soreness. I walked in recovery, did not require any pain meds once I woke up. I was able to get in and out of bed with no assistance. I had no issues with gas, nausea or vomiting. No dry mouth, no dry lips. I was able to suck on ice chips in recovery and started my post op foods once I was in my room. In the hospital I was provided, Jello, vegetable broth, Decaf tea, Water and ProSource NoCarb liquid Protein. I was discharged on day 2. I had my first BM on day 5. I have been regular since. My doctor started me on colace and omeprazole on day 1 in the hospital. I began my multi-vitamins/supplements once I was discharged home. I walked 30 mins a day when home. Needed a mid day nap for the first week. I live alone the hospital arranged for a visiting nurse to come twice a week. She was discharged after my 2 week f/u because all was going well. I prepped my house before surgery so I was able to take care of basic day to day stuff on my own with the except of putting out the trash on trash day that first week home. My sister came down and did that.