Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after surgery did you feel like yourself again?

Hello everyone. I had gastric bypass on Dec 14, 2015 and after 2 weeks ended up in hospital for 6 days.

I was dyhdrated and could not keep anything down. I am very overwhelm and feel like this was a mistake.reason I had gastric bypass is being petite and overweight for my height which is 4"11 and I was 189 and also due to severe acid reflux damage and acid was so bad. Yesterday I started stage 4 and guess what? Early this morning I threw up about 6 times and not sure what is going on! Anyone else with this issue. I am very scared and I need to go back to work soon. My legs feel weak. I have no blockage from what I know but I hate this feeling!

I am not sure what you mean by Stage 4. It is important to allow your stomach to heal properly after RNY gastric bypass surgery. Some people push to solid foods too early and run into problems. At 1 month post-op, you should be in the puree stage, not solids. Solids becomes an option at the 2 month mark. If you are trying to eat solids, you may be pushing it and it can result in you throwing up.

The most important elements after surgery are meeting your Fluid, Protein and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary. You will not starve. Your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. It sound like you are having problems in all three areas and this may account for your weakness. Taking Probiotics is also a good idea. When you were in the hospital for surgery and also 2 weeks later, they probably gave you antibiotics. The problem with antibiotics, is that it kills not only the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria in your gut. Probiotics restores the good bacteria and allows your stomach and intestines to process food normally again.

Thank you for your reply. Monday I am seeing doctor because the Nurse practionior I been seeing told me to start on stage 4 low fat solids And I agree with you. I notice when eating baby foods or like chicken broth Soup I didn't throw up as much And yesterday had some chicken and this morning I could not stop being so sick and felt like I was going to die. I really appreciate the info. Yesterday it was once month for me. Solid is not working. Today no solid. I had some Premier Protein shake but could only drink a little. Little nausea. Do you recommend any other Protein? I been sipping on Water and had sugar free ice pop since mouth and lips are little dry. So far I haven't thrown up since early morning. Have my fingers cross. I really thank you for all info you have given me. I am so scared but trying to be positive at same time. How long did it take you to get better?

I have not advanced from full liquids by choice.I had surgery on Dec 28...I am not ready.....for purée yet...this is my decision...a slow progression .My body needs to heal and I am not rushing the stages...

Thank you for your reply. Monday I am seeing doctor because the Nurse practionior I been seeing told me to start on stage 4 low fat solids And I agree with you. I notice when eating baby foods or like chicken broth Soup I didn't throw up as much And yesterday had some chicken and this morning I could not stop being so sick and felt like I was going to die. I really appreciate the info. Yesterday it was once month for me. Solid is not working. Today no solid. I had some Premier Protein shake but could only drink a little. Little nausea. Do you recommend any other Protein? I been sipping on Water and had sugar free ice pop since mouth and lips are little dry. So far I haven't thrown up since early morning. Have my fingers cross. I really thank you for all info you have given me. I am so scared but trying to be positive at same time. How long did it take you to get better?

I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) Protein Powder for my Protein Shake. I used a Ninja blender (single serving cup) to mix the powder with water to make the protein shake to get the right consistency. If you can tolerate milk that is another alternative for protein. For the first couple months after surgery I became lactose intolerant, so that option was unavailable to me. During the cold weather, I found that a cup of hot cocoa (No Sugar Added) variety worked for me.

This article may be of help. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Thank you for the info. I may try muscle milk. I heard that is good. I will look into it. :)

How are you all and good luck with your surgery and healing and congratulations. I had my surgery Dec 4, 2015, which was a conversion from the gastric sleeve to gastric bypass BC for 23 months following the sleeve, I suffered acid reflux, throwing up at night when I was asleep, I was just a sick person after having the gastric sleeve. So I was sent to two different surgeons who then converted me to gastric bypass n at that time I was 167 pounds. prior to sleeve, I was 236.8. I search this forum because now that I've had the surgery it's not been like the first one; I have no energy I am so tired and I feel like I should be exercising or something but I really am so exhausted. I am still very sore in my belly although the doctor has checked me over and said everything feels fine she is even told me to have solid Proteins and of course increase my liquids which I am really trying my hardest to do. Mostly Water BC of my first surgery, I can't bear to drink one more Protein Drink, disgusting!! There are some things that I cannot have that I have tried and I have thrown up, like one of the persons here said some things I can't eat and feels heavy in my chest and I have to stop because it doesn't agree with me or it throw up. I'm now 142 lbs, but for me, I just want to feel some energy back and since reading this forum, I don't feel as scared anymore and I THANK Y'ALL FOR SHARING!! I thought that because I had these two surgeries that it was my body rejecting it somehow, that I was going to be dying sooner than God had intended or something and then again I just might but it's good to know that it's not because of my two surgeries but it's because it's just the way the surgery is I guess. Again thank y'all and good luck. Lord willing, I'll be getting some probiotics tomorrow! Good luck all:)

Hello :). I had gastric bypass Dec 14th and was scared and at some point felt regret but I also was facing similiar situation with acid and throwing up at night that one night I almost die and choked on my throw up and was rushed to hospital. I know feeling a lot being weak. I am still facing that answering to drink Water. Please stay hydrated as much as you can. I ended up in hospital for 6 days due to not drinking enough water. I find that pouring water in one of the medicine cups they give you at hospital every 30 min which is a total of 30cc is easier to drink more. They sell the medicine cups in any pharmacy. I also notice that ice cold water works best for me. I wish you the best and full recovery. If you can try to walk around the block at least once , that will strengthen you. I been slacking but I try to do my best. Please keep letting me know your progress. :) . ????. You will get better and better each day. I just started getting better a few days ago. I hope each day gets easier for both of us.

Revision from lapband to bypass Dec 28.A struggle...I am Still on full liquids...have not moved on for fear of pain and throwing up.I have assorted pains .Sticking and random shooting pains and slight aches.Inside itch and yeast overgrowth in my mouth.I was prescribed nystatin mouthwash and just had a cleaning.I have not started vigorously exercise yet...Walking is a challenge and I am still sore and energy less .As I type I am in bed with my electric heating pad..Getting enough Water is a problem and I am drinking strained Soups with Unjury added...not loving Unjury .it clumps.I definitely don't feel anywhere near 100%.I bought probiotics but have to mix caplets contents in Greek yogurt.I can't swallow pills.I ordered BariMelts Vitamins from Amazon.My incision areas hurt and I have scars.