Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4th fill coming up....

Hi pjrugby,

Just read your story, it sounds similar to mine to be honest, it took 3 visits to get any restriction, and a large fill before I got any type of restriction. I'd give the secretary of your consultant a phone, and explain that you dont have any restriction (Im in the UK too and thats what I did). The other thing I was going to say is that I mainly eat 'hard' foods now, and Ive cut back on the carbs, and knocked off any booze (I used to drink every night after work) and I now do 2 miles on my treadmill most evenings after work, this band isnt easy I know, but dont give up, I bet ya your next fill should do it!! Fingers crossed for you!

Sara

My problem is, I don't know what Protein to eat. She told me that I'm eating around the band by eating soft foods and that I need to eat Protein. I'm still struggling here and getting very frustrated about what protein I should eat. I mean, should I eat a hamburger pattie? A chicken breast? A can of tuna? I dunno....

I ate cottage cheese last night and I know that's protein, but I also know it's a soft food so I guess I shouldn't eat it any more.

Again.........I dunno.......

Everything you mentioned about hamburger, chicken, tuna, etc....that's Protein! Does your Dr. have a nutritionist you can visit? I know that part of the "hoops" I had to jump through prior to surgery was seeing a nutritionist. She helped me to figure out those protein, starch, veggie, etc. relationships. THEN....just after my 2nd fill, I went to my surgeon's nutritionist to re-educate myself about eating correctly with the band. I knew what a protein was, but in relation to my band, I had to figure out how to work the "tool." I would suggest that if you can do this, it would help manage the full feeling and your fills should become more effective.

I just had my 3rd fill....and boy, I sure feel it this time. My dr. said I needed a "whopping fill." So, now I really feel the difference. I can still get down mushy things, but today was my 1st day on more solid items and I can eat much less compared to before the fill.

So, good luck, I hope this helps.

Annette ;)

I posted in another thread my experiences since being banded in May 2007. The most weight I lost was the first three weeks post op. since then I have been at a stand still. I thought I had 1.5 cc placed in the 4 cc band back on July 6, 2007, and was expecting great restriction, but got none. I had another fill Friday from my surgeon who reported I only had .25ccs in and did not know where the other 1/25 may have gone. So now I am up to 1 cc and still feel no restriction. like most of you, I am stopping because I feel guilty and guilt wears off real fast for me. I am eating way more than I should and want this tool to start doing its part. If I had the willpower, I probably would not have had the surgery. As for the hard Proteins, I have trouble with them ( meat, chicken, tuna is a breeze as it is soft) passing the band, producing that lump feeling which is uncomfortable, but the problem is, it does pass the band within a minute or two and then I can eat the food. Like all you, I want to feel filled after a few bites causing me to move on to something else other waiting for the food to go down so I can take another bite.

Serenity, I understand about the sticking on the way through the band. I too have had that feeling. But since this last fill, I'm finding out that I must take a smaller size bite of my Protein and chew, chew, chew and it is finally going down ok. I think (for myself) that I was eating too big of a bite for it to pass correctly. Also, because of this, I'm eating slower and starting to recognize full. I had my band at the end of March and am just now getting to where I feel like things are beginning to settle into a good fill zone. (yes, it's AUGUST...lol)

I too understand the frustration of wanting the dang thing to do it's job, but....checking in here, reading your Monthly group's message board, and looking up for similar experiences, it helps to realize that we're in this together. It'll come.... Good luck!

Annette

I too have had 4 fills. I have a 10cm band. I have only lost 16 lbs. since my actual surgery. The rest were pre-op diet. I lost as much pre-op as I have in nearly 6 months post-op. Very discouraging! I go back 9-10 for 5th fill. I felt a little after 3rd fill, little more after4th. Sooooo I am hoping this is "the one." Bulwinkle I can eat much more than I thought would ever be possible after 4 fills. Seems like most have their greatest amount of weight loss in the first year or so. That is why I am kinda upset about thing. 1/2 year is gone and I'm down a measley 16 lbs. I am glad for that but I have so many pounds to go. I have to wait 6 wks. inbetween fills. This has just got to get better, Portion Control is why I got the band.

"Perhaps someone else out there who has had 3 fills without restriction will gain hope and support from my posts, and perhaps will think, "Well, see there? THAT person has had 3 fills and still has no restriction. I'm not a lost cause after all."

That cracked me up because I actually asked my doctor that same question one time....about being a lost cause!! I just had fill #6 or #7 this morning (I lost count) and I'm still fighting for proper restriction.

Forget the "sweet spot" I just would be happy with sustained restriction. So, unfortunately I think we are all so different that it just takes longer for some of us to get there versus others!

LapBandit. 170 pounds!! OMG!! That is terriffic!! I would like to reach 70 or so bu now. That is why I have changed my ticker to a snail. Good Luck.

LapBandit. 170 pounds!! OMG!! That is terriffic!! I would like to reach 70 or so bu now. That is why I have changed my ticker to a snail. Good Luck.

Thanks! You're doing great too, don't sell yourself short! That's 33 pounds of yuckiness you are no longer carrying around every day. Imagine carrying a potato sack full of 33 pounds of potatoes all day...it would be darn impossible. You're doing just fine!