Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV: Hit the Spa, fully NUDE

I had never gone to a spa until about one week before my sleeve surgery, a little over 2 1/2 years ago. My friend and I were on a girls weekend in Vegas and she wanted to treat me to a massage. I was absolutely against it. Embarrassed and ashamed of my body. She told me it would be one of the best pleasures I would ever know. "Besides," she said, "nobody knows you, they will never see you again." So, reluctantly, I agreed.

When we first arrived and they took us into the back to change, they told me I could go full nude if I wanted to, but--at the most--I had to strip down to my underwear and bra. I think I turned beet red. As they gave us a tour of the facility and its amenities, so many women were in the nude! Sitting in the sauna, steam room and hot tubs. Ugh! The movies were not so far off. I was so uncomfortable and I felt like I did not belong. I was surrounded by women who were comfortable in their bodies. I was not. But alas, there I was, so I stripped down to my underwear and bra, put on my robe, wrapped it around me and held onto it for dear life. I was offered some wine...which I gladly accepted to calm my nerves, and when I was called back into my massage room to meet my masseuse, I was MORTIFIED! The masseuse was a GUY, and I wanted to die. He told me he was going to step out of the room and allow me to take off my robe and get onto the massage table, under the sheets. When he shut the door, I seriously contemplated leaving. However, my friends words echoed in my head: I would never see this person again. I did as I was told and got under the sheets (and trust me when I say that I wrapped them tight, like a human burrito). He came in and talked to me in a very soothing voice. However, he noticed that I was fidgety and avoiding eye contact. He asked me if I was nervous. I admitted that I was, and I even confessed that it was my first time and that I was very insecure about my weight. He graciously told me, "Sweetie, every woman is beautiful. No matter her shape or size. This is going to be a relaxing and enjoyable experience, and I do not want you ruining it with such nonsense." Oh my goodness! What a wonderful and beautiful thing to say. I loved him from that moment on. My nerves and reluctance melted away and I REALLY enjoyed the experience! My-oh-my, that 80 minutes felt like 20 minutes! I wished it lasted longer (actually, I think he added on an extra 10 minutes; tipped him big too!).

So, here I am. 30 months post-op. Learned to work my sleeve, eat right, religiously spending 8-10 hours in the gym a week, lost all of my excess weight, completed plastics, and loving my body. So, the girls and I had a spa day over the holidays and I decided to go fully nude in the hot tub, in the steam room and on the massage table. I wasn't uncomfortable. Totally owned it. I even had one of the girls who joined us (mind you, she is 10 years younger than me) say, "Jeez...what I would do for your body."

[Mind you, yes I had the sleeve. Yes, I had plastics; but, I work my butt off in the gym lifting weights and sticking to an eating regime that is healthy 90-95% of the time. Some people love to say that I cheated to get this body, but I say all the sleeve did was give me QUANTITY control. The sleeve does not control QUALITY and it does not dictate my fitness. After 4 kids, major weight gain, rapid weight loss, there was no way that my skin was going to put itself back together. I am not ashamed of my plastics and praise my doctor for helping complete my weight loss journey.] Okay, mini rant over.

So, anyway, I felt AWESOME. I have never, EVER, had the confidence that I do now. And my ability to confidently lounge around in the nude was my biggest NSV yet. For the first time I realized I was just like those women in that Vegas spa.

Wow! That is awesome. You sound so proud and confident!

I hope to be even half as content as with my body in another year or two.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

Congratulations! What an awesome story and what a wonderful gift your friend gave you with the first massage and what a wonderful gift of words and encouragement from your masseuse.

I love massages!

Woohoo! That is an awesome NSV. I've always gone nude for massages, but I have never been comfortable being totally nude in the women's area. Even now, while I no longer hide in the bathroom to change into the robe and I can strip in the locker room area, I haven't quite worked up the nerve to walk around totally without clothing. I feel a little awkward because I tend to look at the other women and I swear half of them are perfect- no cellulite, no sagging, no plastic surgery scars, and I think...yikes. In reality though, I have never once thought a negative thing about any of them, no matter what their size or appearance- it just wasn't anything that crossed my mind as even noticing, so I can see how I should be a lot more comfortable than I am.

Again though, good for you, I love this NSV!

The Y I used to belong to before I moved was known as the "naked Y" because we all were fairly comfortable going nude in the locker room hot tub/sauna/steam room area. There was a whole variety of shapes, sizes, ages, etc. We had Muslims, nuns, Baptist, etc. I think learning to be comfortable in your own skin whatever your size is a gift. I was fine there since it was unisex. Not quite ready for a co-ed European spa though.

Oh, how naughty! I love it!

@@NewSetOfCurves has got a NewAttitude! You go girl.

@@NewSetOfCurves what a thrill for you! Your story made me laugh. I could just picture it in my mind. I love what he said to you to relax you. Also, I want to tell you that you are a huge motivator for me. Before I had kids, my oldest will be 21 next month, I was in tip top shape. I played racquetball since I was 18, played tournaments in a couple of states competitively for money. Don't get excited, I only won a little money haha. Money brought out the best players, even the pros. There were years I played seven days a week. Every muscle in my body was solid. Man how I miss that. You motivate me to get to the gym and get after it. I have done some walking but that's it. I wanna start weights too. I wish you could reach through my phone and shake your finger at me and get my ass in gear! You look absolutely wonderful and congrats on your hard, hard, work.

I have gotten massages for years. I LOVE them. My shoulders are as tight as tight can be and I have been told that many times. Being nude didn't bother me cuz I enjoyed my massage so much. I didn't care.

I am a member of the Y here and love to hot tub. I go naked, however I am the only woman who does usually. There is normally only one or two women there, if that many. I knew I needed to lose weight and I knew hot tubs are meant to be used naked. ALL the men are naked always. It just never bothered me. I am 7 weeks post op and have lost 33 lbs. the only reason I am skeptical now is that my stomach scars look really purple now. Who knows if I'll even go soon. Maybe I'll try on my suit and be like them haha

Thank you for the story. You make me want to go to the gym right now!!!!!!

I need a massage so darn bad right now! 2 back surgeries in 6 months. I have been terrified to do it because I look like a sharpei dog, wrinkles and loose skin everywhere.

I thought it would gross out a masseuse! Your story inspired me!

I may simply have to do regardless of how wrinkled I am.

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your new body!

Don't let how you THINK you might look to some stranger keep you from doing something great for yourself. Make that appointment!

In reality though, I have never once thought a negative thing about any of them, no matter what their size or appearance- it just wasn't anything that crossed my mind as even noticing, so I can see how I should be a lot more comfortable than I am.

@@AvaFern, You know, you are absolutely right about that. Since my first spa experience, to the many there after, I too have never thought one negative thing about any of the women who go fully nude. I wish I could have had their confidence when I was bigger. I should not have ever allowed myself to become so negative towards my body, but we live in a society that fosters that negativity. They make women feel ashamed if they are not the right shape of size, if they breast feed in public, if they show too much skin if they're too masculine. We are conditioned to think certain ways. Some of us are mentally strong enough, or perhaps encouraged or taught to think otherwise; but, for the most part, we are conditioned to think certain ways. It makes my heart smile when I hear that people like you and @@Inner Surfer Girl never let such social conditions hold you back. That is definitely something to be proud of!

@@rking, go get it girl! Before marriage, kids and obesity hit me, I was an aerobic instructor and weight trainer. I forgot how much I loved and missed it. I bet after a couple of weeks, you'll be hooked. Once the results become visible, you'll be addicted!

Thank you ladies for you responses and encouragement!