Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys. So I got back in the gym today and it felt great. I walked a mile on the treadmill , 2 miles on the bike , did arm,back and leg machines and burned a little over 600 calories in 1 hour. My question is .. Do we add those calories back in to our day? I'm only allowed 600 calories per day but tiring to get all your protein( shakes) and everything I'm worried I will go over and still not have enough Protein in.. Thoughts??

Hi guys. So I got back in the gym today and it felt great. I walked a mile on the treadmill , 2 miles on the bike , did arm,back and leg machines and burned a little over 600 calories in 1 hour. My question is .. Do we add those calories back in to our day? I'm only allowed 600 calories per day but tiring to get all your protein( shakes) and everything I'm worried I will go over and still not have enough Protein in.. Thoughts??

First of all note that those calorie counts given by machines are notoriously inaccurate! Running or walking a mile generally burns only 100 calories (running burns it in less time).

I never ate back my exercise calories until I got close to goal/maintenance. Sometimes I would add an extra 100-200 calories, but never the full amount.

What does your program/Doctor/nutritionist recommend?

Actually I use a polar heart rate monitor and watch that I input my age,weight etc so it is accurate ... I haven't reached out to my dr yet since today was my first day back in the gym but I intend to call tomorrow. I just didn't want to eat too little and it hurt me.

I don't eat back my calories but I don't feel as bad if I go over my calories and I have worked out.

Actually I use a polar heart rate monitor and watch that I input my age,weight etc so it is accurate ... I haven't reached out to my dr yet since today was my first day back in the gym but I intend to call tomorrow. I just didn't want to eat too little and it hurt me.

For the activity you did that calorie burn still seems high. I don't have a polar though (have an Apple Watch)... And how does it determine calorie burns for weight lifting?

I try not to eat back calories burned, mostly because it's nearly impossible to get an accurate count of what's burned. I just don't beat myself up if I go over my calories in a day.

Weights watchers used to suggest eating back only 1/2 of what was burned.

My NUT told me I could eat an extra 200 calories on workout days if needed. She said that was assuming it was a real workout. So if I just go for a leisurely walk, then no go on extra calories.

Huh... Yeah as the poster above said calorie burn seems a bit high... But I guess it's possible! Good for you then ????

Do consult with your program and see what they say, but I never ate back calories in full... Just an extra 100-200 if I felt I needed it, but otherwise exercise calories were a bonus to the weight loss for me!

I just use my burned calories to create a bigger deficit of calories in v. calories out.

I will ease up SLIGHTLY on my calorie intake - if I feel I need a snack.

Thanks guys. It is a lot of calories but I mostly did cardio. I did it again today working out on the Arc Trainer for an hour and I also burned 600 today. Remember I am much heavier then the average person right now so my calories burned are going to be significantly higher than a fit person.