Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help! Vomiting - No food or liquid :(

Can someone please help me by giving your thoughts and advice.

I travelled abroad and was away for four weeks. Prior to going I had a small unfill of 0.5cc as I was having difficulty eating any solid food but was OK with liquids.< /p>

Whilst away the first 2 weeks I was fine, during the third week I started to have a few stuck episodes and by the fourth week I could not even eat anything. I could sip drinks and Water but after 10-30 minutes I would vomit it back up. Eventually I could not even keep any liquid down, I had to bear with this for over a week. Upon landing home I went straight to my clinic where they took another 1.5cc out, when the needle was placed in the port the liquid started coming into the syringe itself without the nurse even pushing to remove it, about 0.5cc, so we decided to take another 1cc on top of this. As soon as this was done I was able to sip Water and felt instant relief with no vomiting. When I got home I had a cup of tea and after a few hours I had Soup and was fine. I'm on liquids for 3 days, then soft food for 3 days then back to solid food and I will have a call in a weeks time to see how I'm getting on.

My question is, is this normal and is that the end of it? No one told me why this really had happened or no tests were done. I am really concerned that with all the vomiting that I have done I might have band slippage. Has anyone had any similar situation or symptoms and were they told any more information than me? I'm so so so scared.

@@Letsgetskinny first thing is take a nice deep breath. Your band is more than likely totally fine. You were a bit tight, which is why you were having some issues eating and swallowing liquids. So they took out a bit, but probably not enough since you were so tight. At certain times over the course of the month even from hour to hour the "tightness" of my band can change. If I am sick, it's all the tighter as it tries to deal with the excess mucus etc.

Sometimes the change in pressure can also cause the band to feel tighter as can happen when you travel. Vomiting no matter how small of an amount or content causes the stoma to become extra swollen as the stomach is irritated both by the mechanics of vomiting and the bile or digestive Fluid that comes through even in small amounts. This makes the band feel even tighter.

Once they took the Fluid out you had relief and that's great. Stay on the liquids to give your tummy some time to heal from all the stress on it. Then move on to mush and then soft foods before going right back to solid food and things should "reset" and you will be feeling better and able to get back to your normal routine.

Let me also say that you should NOT leave the Dr.'s office without having more information or having your questions answered. If you have some that you don't think of until you reach the car or home even don't let them off the hook. Call the office and demand that your questions be answered, they are there to take care of you. All of you not just your band but your well being and that includes making sure you are not feeling stressed out about what's going on :)

@@lisacaron Yes your right. I need to breathe. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply so quickly with such great info. I'm feeling better already. My clinic is amazing and so is my nurse but I just felt like it was nothing to them and maybe they were hiding something, highly unlikely just that they probably deal with this stuff everyday :) Thanks again Lisa!

This has happened to me twice. My theory is that it starts with multiple incidents of vomiting and then that creates inflammation and eventually leads to not being able to eat or drink anything. Both times this happened to me a small unfill of 0.5 did the trick to give relief (in your case since you were away so long I understand why they took more out). For me, I'm going to be super cautious about stuck incidents. They shouldn't happen any more than once per week, if that. Both times I got way too tight I was throwing up every day, sometimes multiple times per day, leading up to the point where I could l longer drink. Not a way to live!

Good luck!

I question whether my band itself gets tighter over the months. I'm ok for a long period and then it gets very picky! Something that I ate yesterday won't work today. Which is difficult when you are hungry and on program. Sometimes it corrects itself ; sometimes I have a small unfill. Then , months later, I need a fill.... And repeat.

This has been for over 9 years and it does not stay the same restriction for me. I can live with it. As I have, but thought I would get to the "right" spot and stay there. My band says otherwise.