Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from Band - Surgeon wants sleeve, I want bypass!

I didn't have a revision, but. When I met with my surgeon I was wanting the sleeve and he said bypass because of my medical history.

I also have had all three WLS procedures. The Lap Band in 2/2008, the Sleeve in 9/2010 and then the Bypass in 7/2014. I personally have nothing bad to say about the Sleeve, except I ended up with severe GERD. I lost a lot of weight with it, but needed to revise to keep my food down so to speak. I'm doing well with the Bypass. My GERD is gone and my blood sugar and blood pressure are both excellent. Even my cholesterol.

The choice belongs to the OP, and I only hope that she does as much research as she can. It's an individual decision and only she can make it the right one for herself.

I also have had all three WLS procedures. The Lap Band in 2/2008, the Sleeve in 9/2010 and then the Bypass in 7/2014. I personally have nothing bad to say about the Sleeve, except I ended up with severe GERD. I lost a lot of weight with it, but needed to revise to keep my food down so to speak. I'm doing well with the Bypass. My GERD is gone and my blood sugar and blood pressure are both excellent. Even my cholesterol.

The choice belongs to the OP, and I only hope that she does as much research as she can. It's an individual decision and only she can make it the right one for herself.

You look fantastic!!!Sometimes 3 is a charm!!!:-)

Thank you! But those looks are thanks to the Sleeve. The enjoyment of life is from the Bypass, so both are in thanks. ;) They are both good and viable choices for the right people.

Irene

You look fantastic!!!Sometimes 3 is a charm!!!:-)

I went from lap band to sleeve , I lost 60 lbs on the sleeve, I do have complication common from band to sleeve gurd and stomach twisting, I do not regret the sleeve at all, it's jst something that can happen if the surgery isn't done correctly, I'm having gastrectomy with gastrojejunostomy on March 21st .

I am scheduled for removal of my band (had since 2002) to RNY on March 16th. I chose RNY for the same reasons above. I feel it is the best choice to lower my risk of weight re-gain and I have reflux issues as well. My surgeon was amicable to either sleeve or RNY but I didn't want to take a chance of the sleeve not working long-term. I have a couple friends that have done great with the sleeve and one that hasn't.

I agree, after spending 11 years with a worthless band I would have never revised to the sleeve. In less than 5 months I have had more success with gastric bypass than I did with all the years with the band. I just get happier everyday that I had it done. :)

Sent from my VS880 using the BariatricPal App

I told my surgeon that bypass was what I wanted and that's it.They like to do the sleeve because it's easier.I have a lot of weight to lose and the band was the "IT" procedure at the time and it was a failure and messed up my stomach and other organs.I developed Gerd and Esophagus torture.I had the revision to the "Gold Standard" RNY on December 28,2015.I have not dumped once and my acid reflux is gone.I feel great.I take my Vitamins and although I am a slow loser because of my PCOS and sluggish thyroid issues I have lost 40 pounds so far....and feel great.I made the right decision .Once the cut out 80% of your stomach.Thats it....By the way my friend had the sleeve and she has complications...vomiting and bad indigestion.Do what you know works.You don't want to have regrets later down the road.

I told my surgeon that bypass was what I wanted and that's it.They like to do the sleeve because it's easier.I have a lot of weight to lose and the band was the "IT" procedure at the time and it was a failure and messed up my stomach and other organs.I developed Gerd and Esophagus torture.I had the revision to the "Gold Standard" RNY on December 28,2015.I have not dumped once and my acid reflux is gone.I feel great.I take my Vitamins and although I am a slow loser because of my PCOS and sluggish thyroid issues I have lost 40 pounds so far....and feel great.I made the right decision .Once the cut out 80% of your stomach.Thats it....By the way my friend had the sleeve and she has complications...vomiting and bad indigestion.Do what you know works.You don't want to have regrets later down the road.

Thank you for this... We're so conditioned to follow our Doctor's orders no matter what that it felt very uncomfortable to insist on bypass. I'm sticking to my guns. He says he'll do either but I could tell he was pushing for sleeve. Right now they're making me lose 40lbs before they'll even do the surgery. I've completed my 6 month requirement so now it's a waiting game to get the weight off. I tried to go to a different program that wouldn't require the weight loss but because this surgeon is somehow associated with that program too they won't take me as a patient. REALLY irritating. Lesson learned on my part to "shop around" before taking what seems your only/most convenient option.

It's ok...when you discuss the surgery...you simply tell him Bypass...if he asks why .Tell him it's the procedure "You" want.All around me others were getting the sleeve.Thats great for them.I wanted bypass and I am 3 months post op and no problems .I still have my sleep apnea machine ...mainly because my sinuses and it helps me sleep but I am very happy with my decision.It's right for me.

Latest update...

I've completed my 6 month pre-op with the nutritionist and the psych eval. The only thing holding up the process is me losing weight. I started doing Meal Replacement about a month ago. The first two weeks I lost a total of 4lbs. Then started retaining Water due to TOM (Time of the Month) and gained back 3. That continued into the next week with a further gain of 4lbs and then last week with a loss of 4. So in a month I've netted 1lb lost. I need to lose 40lbs before they'll perform surgery.

My diet the last month has been:

1 Premier Protein shake for Breakfast

1 can of Soup with 20g of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder and 2 cheese sticks for lunch

3-5 ozs of lean Protein with some sort of side for dinner

No Snacks, plenty of Water.< /p>

After seeing many people qualifying for surgery without having to lose a significant amount of weight ahead of time - beyond a period of liquid only right before surgery - I'm having a hard time being patient with this process and this program.

I'm heading south (200 miles) to another clinic in a neighboring state that doesn't require a significant weight loss prior to surgery. I have an appointment with a nutritionist, a PA and a surgeon (all three in a row) on Friday, May 13th. I've forwarded them all of the records from my current program so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) they won't make me go through another 6 months to qualify. Wish me luck!

It's definitely your choice. You are the one who has to live with your tool. You want the most success so pick the option which is right for you.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

getting my band to bypass done on June six in Mexico.

doctor that did my band does not do bypass any more wanted sleeve. I did not,already had gerd so bad that I kept pnuemia for months from it till I had Fluid all removed. All that time and money wasted

go for the bypass

Hope I done this right first time writing.