Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are PreOp Jitters? - Words of Encouragement Required Please!

Hi all,

My surgery is scheduled for later this month & I have to say I am really having second thoughts. I never expected I would be like this as when I booked the surgery in early November I was so excited and literally couldn't wait for the day to arrive.

In reality, I know I will go ahead with it but I really want to regain that excitement & confidence I had about it before. Now, I feel unsure and emotional...... not a good combination :mellow:

Is this last minute second guessing normal? How can I snap myself out of it?

Would really appreciate if people could share their own experiences!

Thanks!

J

This is perfectly normal. You are about to take a step that will forever change your life. Just think about how your health will be a year from now if you do not have the surgery, then think about what your health could be a year from now if you do have the surgery.

When I need motivated, I go back to this thread:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219831-what-was-your-final-straw-that-broke-the-camels-back/page-112#entry3922023

It reminds me of why I took the leap myself.

I had my surgery on 12/24. Like you was very nervous before the surgery. It wasn't really as bad as I thought. I didn't have much pain after - probably all the anesthesia. As soon as I was brought to my room, I walked and I kept on walking for my one day stay in the hospital. That really helps with all of the gas that you feel after surgery. When I came home I got better every day. There was not much pain and I only took tylenol. I think you will feel much better once you have your surgery and you will be happy that you will feel a bit better every day. Hang in and stay strong. You got this.

My surgery is Jan 14th. I feel exactly the same way. Especially since I have been off food for nine days now doing the Protein Shakes. I want to eat food so badly. I keep second guessing myself if I am making the right decision. Maybe I didn't try hard enough dieting. I'm frightened for the change but I am over 50 and the weight just doesn't come off. I have dieted my whole life. With all that I have read on here, majority of the people have no regrets. I am praying I am making the right decision. I just don't want to fight this battle anymore. I am sure you will do well. Hang in there and good luck!

What you are feeling is normal. Do you journal? Try writing about what you want your life to be like and how your weight/obesity is keeping you from living that life. Make a list of positives and negatives about having or not having surgery.

Be gentle with yourself. It is not uncommon for your emotions to be all over the map.

I can honestly say, the worst part of the whole process for me was where you are now: just before taking that final step in into the unknown. Before you know it you will be waking up in recovery to your new life.

I'm having the surgery on the 13th, I cycle between being really excited and really terrified.

What makes me excited are looking at the before/after pictures, the success stories, when people talk about their NSV's and all the things they are doing now that they couldn't do before! There are lots of threads on here like that, check them out! ????

My surgery date is January 25th and I'm getting really nervous. I'm hungry all the time on the pre op diet. I'm worried about possible complications during surgery. I have two kids I'm worried about. I don't feel like I can talk to anyone because they don't understand what I'm going through. Sorry to be a downer. I keep trying to look at the bigger picture but it's not always easy.

Completely normal. I had the same thing"What the heck am I doing?" "Can I do this?" "Why don't I do it on my own?" but the week of surgery a feeling of absolute calm came over me and I went in excited. Best thing I have ever done for myself. Two months out and things going well.

You are going to be excited and will feel so much better. Good Luck. Good vibes heading your way!

Wow, thanks so much for all the responses! It is exactly what I needed :)

Such a relief to hear that these feelings are normal.

It always sticks in my mind that everyone here says they have no regret, I can't wait to be one of those people!

Roll on the 27th!

I felt the exact same way. I think it is completely normal. I started to question my decision and what if's. I also freaked out because this is a permanent decision and starting worrying about the potential side effects.

I'm so happy with my decision, my only regret is not doing it sooner. I'm 4 weeks post op and I'm down 30 lbs. I feel great. I have been quick to adapt to the new lifestyle. It is not as hard as you would think.

My main struggle was nausea but it passed. I also did too much too soon and set my recovery back a little.

It is worth it. Stay positive and you will love your results.

This was great to read!

I've been feeling like that the past few days. Thinking "what if I just try this or that again, just to be sure?"

This time next year, we'll be so happy with ourselves for going ahead with it.

Thank you for posting this topic my surgery is Tuesday the 12th and I have been petrified. All the thoughts that I have been having have been answered. Wondering if I'm doing the right thing. Worried about complications being compliant making me the adjustments afterwards. Just plain scared to death.