Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for those that went to Tijuana Mexico for GS

Hi there. I'm new to the forums. Have been reading a lot and am starting my process to get gastric sleeve surgery with Dr. Altamirano through Bariatric Pal.

Since everyone is such a help I wanted to ask a few questions to those who have had their surgery in Tijuana.

If you did it over would you do it there again?

Did you feel you got personal attention?

Did you ever feel unsafe?

Was there anything you would have liked to be different?

Is there anything that would help me to know ahead of time (any advice)?

Would I be better off in the house or hotel?

Thank you in advance for your insight!

I went for the band in 09 and I'm returning for the gastric sleeve. Wouldnt have it any other way.

In fact I was there today for an unfil of my band.

What I would like different? Be on a balcony overlooking the ocean for recovery. lol

Edited by IrishGermanRN

I had my gastric sleeve one year ago in Tijuana. I felt well cared for. Would do it again. No complications. Only time I was scared was crossing a street because they all drive like maniacs lol. I am almost at goal weight. Started at 253 and currently 169. Goal is 160.

I've been to Tijuana twice for surgery. Once for plastics and once for my sleeve. Both times I received EXCELLENT care and attention. I wasn't afraid at all. Tijuana is pretty much just like being in the US. A McDonalds or Starbucks on every corner. There was a Walmart right near the Marriott where I stayed for my sleeve and my room in the clinic where I had my plastics had an excellent view of an Office Max. If you ARE afraid to go out on your own, you'll be shuttled everywhere you really need to go.

I would definitely not do anything different. I received amazing care from highly qualified surgeons. Much better than what I would have received in the US for even twice the price.

I've been once for gastric sleeve in 2013 and will be returning in March 2016 with dr Garcia for the gastric bypass. Great experience the first time and hoping it goes as smooth the second time.

I was sleeved in Tijuana last May. I stayed at the Grand Hotel. It was great. As others have pointed out, it's just like being in the U.S. There are so many fast food restaurants that it does make you chuckle. The only difference I noticed was that a Dominoes pizza restaurant had it's drivers ride bikes. Going to Tijuana for the sleeve is perfectly okay. You will be fine.

I've been once for gastric sleeve in 2013 and will be returning in March 2016 with dr Garcia for the gastric bypass. Great experience the first time and hoping it goes as smooth the second time.

You have a sleeve and it looks only 2 years out. can you tell us why you are going with the bypass?

You have a sleeve and it looks only 2 years out. can you tell us why you are going with the bypass?

I have lost about 25lbs with the sleeve. It hasn't been as successful as I thought. My doctor said some people just need the malabsorption part of surgery. If only I had listened to his recommendation of the bypass from the beginning.

The recovery houses are no longer available, as they were flooded in the recent storms. Everyone now stays at a beautiful hotel, the two days there after surgery are included, and Dr. Altamirano will continue to visit you there.

I am staying at hotel Lucerna (sp?) and apparently that is absolutely lovely. 4.5 - 5 stars.

If you did it over would you do it there again?

Absolutely. I had a great experience...as good, if not better than any surgery here in the US. In fact, my US surgeon screwed up my gallbladder removal (left me with a hernia) and I really wish I'd gone back to my VSG surgeon in TJ instead of letting insurance pay for it here.

Did you feel you got personal attention?

Yes, only 5 patients in the clinic. Nurse checked in on me all night. The volume on my TV remote didn't work so she even adjusted the volume for me. Office manager made all of us chicken broth to sip on in the clinic the third day as we waited for our fluoroscopy and drain removals. Driver went out of his way to get us a medical fast pass across the border since my sister's flight was earlier than the usual departure times. I've gotten emails and phone calls from the followup Doctor, surgeon and nutritionist checking on my progress....they do this for 3 years postop. They have always been available for my questions.

Did you ever feel unsafe?

Never. Marriot staff was super friendly. Even the Walmart staff were helpful....gave us advice on how to hold and handle our money to not draw attention to ourselves. Walked to the Starbucks from our hotel twice a day. We were transported most everywhere by the OCC shuttle other then when we chose to go shopping on our own time. We were advised which cab companies would be safe to take.

Was there anything you would have liked to be different?

I was having such a good time with my sister I would have liked to stay longer.

Is there anything that would help me to know ahead of time (any advice)?

Read every thread you can on this and other WLS forums. It will prepare you for the good, bad and the ugly.

Would I be better off in the house or hotel?

The Marriot was perfect....helpful staff, onsite restaurant, free Popsicles and bottled Water, in room movie rentals, and a pool for my sister.

Hi Jamie- Who did your surgery? There are so many options! I am feeling a little overwhelmed!

I had my surgery with Ariel Ortiz at OCC.< /p>

Thank you everyone for your replies! Very helpful ????

Hello, I went to Tijuana 1/12/13 and had my sleeve done at Santa Fe surgical center. I am 124 pounds down and maintain my weight loss. I have also had 2 rounds of plastic surgery in Tijuana. I do not speak Spanish and I went by myself. I have had 13 surgeries in the US and 3 in Tijuana and I can say that the care is amazing with every surgery I have had in Tijuana. The compassion of the nurses is untouchable. I never once felt like a number or never had the statement I will be back to help you (Usually when you here that it is a hour later you have to remind the nurse to come back) Not in Tijuana at any facility I have been in they take care of you right then. Let me answer your questions

If you did it over would you do it there again? YES, YES and YES

Did you feel you got personal attention? More than I ever did in the states.

Did you ever feel unsafe? I never felt scared or alone I felt completely safe.

Was there anything you would have liked to be different? I would have like to have put my fears aside and done it years earlier instead of waiting.

Is there anything that would help me to know ahead of time (any advice)?The only thing I can say here is your life will change but for the good.

Would I be better off in the house or hotel? Either or, no matter where you stay you will be taken care of like part of the family.

Can I ask if the plastic surgery was expensive there? After weight loss I need a Tummy Tuck that my insurance will not pay for.