Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long on clear liquids?

I know that pre-op people need to be on clears for 24 hrs or so.

What about post - op?

I am making home made chicken stock and canning it in 1/2 pt jars. I figure that is the right amount at one time to try to sip on. But wondering how many to make. I also have some clear broth for a lovely pork roast I made that I will can as well. I have about 24 - 1/2 pint jars and 6 full pint jars completed now. I was going to make a pot roast tonight and if I need more than that I will make some beef broth/stock and can it too (I may do it anyway for some variety).

I am going to Mexico and although it is cheaper, there is not as much info upfront on expectations. I know I can't take the broth on the plane and will bring the cubes or packets. But when I get home I know I will appreciate home made chicken stock over the stuff that has to be reconstituted.

Thanks for any info you can give.

It differs from surgeon to surgeon. I was on 3 day liquid pre-op, which was part of a 14 day full liquid pre-op. My first week surgery was Clear Liquids only. Best to check with your surgeons office.

It varies widely. I was sent home on full liquids for 2 weeks. You will appreciate the homemade stuff!!

I was sent home on 2 week clear liquid diet. The next 2 weeks were full liquids.

It varies. I was on clears for 3 days...basically during the time I was in Mexico. The clinic and hotel provided me with bottled Water, chicken broth and Popsicles. I picked up herbal tea bags and pedialyte while I was down there. Also got some Isopure at GNC but it made me gag. Syntrax nectar packets were a much better choice. But don't worry, you will be eating that Soup for a lot longer than just in the beginning. I overlapped my food stages and progressed much slower than my plan just to be on the safe side. And I always added unflavored Protein powder to every Soup and broth I ate.

And as for the info provided by your surgeon, just because you are going to Mexico there's no reason you shouldn't be fully informed of every step of pre and postop requirements. I talked to the nutritionist, cardiologist, and the surgeon before stepping on the plane. I had at least 20 pages of info emailed to me, detailing everything from using the spirometer to medications, food stages and excercise expectations. In fact, my Mexico surgeon kept me much better informed than the US doctor that just removed my gallbladder. You shouldn't expect a lesser level of care and followup, just because it's Mexico.

Good luck and enjoy your soup. Mmmmm.

It varies widely. I was sent home on full liquids for 2 weeks. You will appreciate the homemade stuff!!

Ditto. I was never on Clear Liquids post op. In the hospital I was given, tea, veg broth, ProSource Nocarb and Jello (which I refuse cause I hate it, lol). I was discharged on full liquids.

I was Water only first day(surgery day) and second day at lunchtime ordered puréed food(in hospital). I ordered eggs, yogurt, and applesauce. I ate a mini-spoon of each and was done. I stayed in hospital for two nights and ordered off the puréed menu for the remainder. Two weeks out was cleared for soft foods, and at four weeks(next week), I'll be cleared for "regular" foods. My surgeon also doesn't have us doing Protein Shakes, focusing on Protein from food and milk.

I was on clear liquids for 1 day pre-op and 1 week post-op.

I'm on Full liquids pre-op, I will only be on clear liquids 1 day post op, after that I'll be on full liquids 2 weeks.

The two days I was in the hospital, I was on clear liquids. As soon as I got home on day three I started full liquids. Soft foods were a week out and regular foods were at one month.